inTank Media Baskets

National Zoo CW and Kreisel Tanks

dshnarw

Went to the national zoo again for an aquarium club meeting. They shut off the pumps for the coldwater tank so I could get top-down shots :D Then wandered over to the Kreisels to look at the design/plumbing setup, and got some decent sea nettle and ctenophore shots. Apparently, both are VERY common in the Bay, should somehow I happen to find a Kreisel tank in the living room...

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

many more here: http://gs158.photobucket.com/groups/t120/N...mview=slideshow

I hope you contact them regarding the licensing of your images for their promotional use. ;)

also, that second anemone... words cannot describe. breathtaking.

I hope you contact them regarding the licensing of your images for their promotional use. ;)

also, that second anemone... words cannot describe. breathtaking.

It's in the works. The invert house director is part of the aquarium club, so we're going to try and get something worked out. :)

They have the best collection of Tealias I've ever seen. Apparently they've been there for more than 30 years.

I want.

You should ask them for their extras :P

Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, the federal government is a pain in the butt about such things. The FBI would be knocking on my door if I managed to get ahold of one of them :(

Really? Even if they give you one? What a rip off lol.

Yeah. They have to destroy anything that isn't sent to another public aquarium or educational institute. They have to account for every one of them, new babies, etc. :(

They can't even borrow equipment that they need - their ctenophore tank is running hot and they can't get a new chiller for a couple of months. Even though I have a backup chiller that I offered for them to use until the new one is installed, they can't borrow it because of stupid government regs.

Wow!

Thats really a shame.

And what kind of educational institution?

yup, it is.

university biology departments and research institutions mainly. i doubt they would even be able to send them to K-12 schools.

Very nice.. What was the lighting?

The CW tank has a pair of 1000w 10k halides that are at least 2 years old (forgot to get a new FTS, but it's a good 12 x 6 x 10high...that's in feet). The Kreisels just had a single incadescent shop light each.

even if they don't need the light, coldwater tanks always look better under halides (or natural sunlight). heck, I guess that goes for all types of tanks.

even if they don't need the light, coldwater tanks always look better under halides (or natural sunlight). heck, I guess that goes for all types of tanks.

need it for the xanthos, but they're intertidal, so 6500k-ish color is fine. does look really nice, although a bit yellowish, with the shimmer, especially when the surge box running.

saw setup back in the summer. Guess i should go to some meetings

the zoo meetings are always worth it. the others tend to be a bit less thrilling.

Archived