Pod Your Reef

Andru24's 20L AIO Peninsula

andru24

macyankee86

Sweet setup! I just bought a 20L and am in the brainstorming stage!

What light fixture do you have over the tank? I am looking at using a 150W MH with a 14k for my 20L...

Gordon

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Ok update after like 8 months...

Tank is still going strong.

Current setup

- 150w Phoenix 14k MH

- Still AIO with Chemipure. Chaeto, etc.

- 2 clownfish (1 maroon, 1 clark)

- Coral banded shrimp

- bunch of corals (SPS, LPS, zoas)

Pics (excuse the sh!t camera):

FTS From where I sit at my desk (the zoas on bottom right had 10 polyps when purchased, hammer coral in center had one head)

FTS4.jpg

FTS other side:FTS2.jpg

FTS5.jpg

End shot:

DSC01442.jpg

Nuclear green and PPE Zoas

DSC01443.jpg

Trumpets/Candy Cane

DSC01450.jpg

Ricordea & Green Palys

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

So my Phoenix 14k bulb is due for replacement and I just received a new 20K ushio bulb... and of course my POS Odyssea fixture/ballast won't fire the bulb. Any ideas on what to do to get it to fire? Or should i just assume that it's not compatible with the ballast?

If it isn't going to work, instead of sending back the bulb and getting a different bulb only to have that one maybe not work, I am thinking of possible building this:

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-71/20-...mium-LED/Detail

Is this enough coverage for the display area of 24 x 12? Any other better options?

What ratio should of blue to white should I get?

sorry, have no idea about the lighting -- but wanted to say that i think this tank is great! Following for sure. Let us know what happens with the bulb -- im curious myself.

On my 29 and my 90 i have a ratio of 1:1 whites vs blues total. My 29 had 12 Cw and 12 Rb. While my 90 has 20 Rb, 4 Cb, 12 Cw, 12 Nw. Still a ratio of 1:1.

I think you could retro fit that package deal from rapid onto the Odyssea fixture and not look too shabby either, pick up a project box for the driver housing and be golden, looks good and have good coverage.

Only problem I see is the color blend, or lack there of I supposed is better stated. Being that close to the bottom the color may not blend as well as you would want, but you can get a diffuser of some sort for it to help the blending.

On my 29 and my 90 i have a ratio of 1:1 whites vs blues total. My 29 had 12 Cw and 12 Rb. While my 90 has 20 Rb, 4 Cb, 12 Cw, 12 Nw. Still a ratio of 1:1.

I think you could retro fit that package deal from rapid onto the Odyssea fixture and not look too shabby either, pick up a project box for the driver housing and be golden, looks good and have good coverage.

Only problem I see is the color blend, or lack there of I supposed is better stated. Being that close to the bottom the color may not blend as well as you would want, but you can get a diffuser of some sort for it to help the blending.

What do you mean by "being that close to the bottom"? Close to the bottom of the fixture? or the leds being too close to the tank?

Moved to a new office and decided to take the opportunity to move the tank to a new stand. For $40 it's a pretty decent stand from IKEA... has almost perfect dimension for a 20 long.

View from my desk...

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

Also, I am going to be doing a DIY led kit from RapidLED for this at the end of the month. My Phoenix 14000k seems to be shifting colors. I actually like its color more now but I am starting to get a lot of algae growth.

what do you mean by shifting colors? I'm a new owner of mh fixtures and am on my first bulb.. curious to know what to look for... how obvious it is or what not

MH bulbs shift spectrum as they reach their end of life. The bulb is definitely less blue than it use to be. I don't know if it is always super noticeable... but in this case it is. I have had it for over a year, so it's past time to replace, but I already bought one bulb that my fixture didn't fire so I decided to move to LEDs.

ok cool -- thanks. and what a wonderful reason to switch to led's.. lol

Yeah... just hope I can figure out how to do it withouth destroying them in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job on that! Quick question. After setting the internal pots, are you now able to adjust the brightness with the external switches?

Great job on that! Quick question. After setting the internal pots, are you now able to adjust the brightness with the external switches?

Yep. The internal pot just sets the maximum current to whatever you set it at... in my case around 900 mA. The external pots then let you dim the colors individually.

• 4 weeks later...

You have a beautiful tank! I am still in the planning process of mine and was wondering if what you did was easy or was it hard? How much did it cost you?

Thanks, Mini-Dude

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

very nice build. Im a big fan of having tanks in non converntional places, like book shelvs or office desks!

Youve seen my build, and Im running out of room in my tank and was thinking of putting maybe a 15 or 20L in the bookshelf space that my 10 is curently in. But ive got to do something with that ugly AC70 fuge. I stumbled onto this thread and you just might have solved my dilemma! Ive got to do some measuring, but it might work.

Enjoy the LEDs, I finally got mine squared away and they are great! Ill be sure to follow your progress

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived