SaltCritters.com

Andru24's 20L AIO Peninsula

andru24

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice setup.

Mind I ask what was tools/supplies were used in the construction on the overflow/acrilyc section.

Thanks!

The list of items I used:

- 3/8" black acrylic for the overflow wall and divider wall/floor

- 1/4" clear for the media rack

- Table saw and Miter saw with an 80 tooth saw blade for cutting the acrylic and making the overflow teeth

- Weld-on #4

- Eggcrate

- Silicone

- Some vinyl tubing and loc-line for the return

- And a dremel to fine tune the overflow teeth after the first test showed that they were a bit too high in the tank

I think that's it.

-Andy

This is a very nice build. Good work!

If you end up putting the MP10 on you should try that cracker tupper ware dry side mod that just got posted recently. I'm thinking it would be nice to have the pump on the AIO side. That way you have optimal viewing and cleanliness!

nice...i had the exact same thing until i recently upgraded to the 150.i still miss my 20 long.That is what i had tha 150 watt medal halide on and could grow anything,Good luck on the builds

I somehow managed to make it into the office today after our 2.5" - 3" feet of snow in the DC area. I was surprised at how crappy even the interstates were. I am glad I made it though. The evaporation in the AIO chambers had caused the submersible fuge light to be out of the water. Also the entire tank was green after only 2.5 days. It probably could have made it another day and a half before the pump started sucking air.

So I spent about an hour getting it cleaned up and topped off. It doesn't look like they ever lost power at the office and everyone was alive and doing fine. Fed the mandarin and the rest of the tank and transferred over a couple of corals (trumpet/candy cane and a duncan) that weren't doing well in my 29 Biocube.

I also put the MP10 in and am very pleased with the flow it creates in this tank. I've got it situated so that the SPS are on the same side as it.

This is a very nice build. Good work!

If you end up putting the MP10 on you should try that cracker tupper ware dry side mod that just got posted recently. I'm thinking it would be nice to have the pump on the AIO side. That way you have optimal viewing and cleanliness!

Thank you for the compliments. It would be nice to have the vortech inside the AIO area... I might have to consider that, though it would take up a good portion of the fuge area.

nice...i had the exact same thing until i recently upgraded to the 150.i still miss my 20 long.That is what i had tha 150 watt medal halide on and could grow anything,Good luck on the builds

Thanks, I am still thinking about that light if you haven't sold it yet. Though I think I am leaning more toward a 2x150 for the 40 breeder project.

Don't have a good camera, so I am still trying to figure out the best way to get my point-and-shoot camera to show the true colors of the tank...

Left side of tank

IMG_1940.jpg

Shrimp & Clown eyeing each other

shrimp_clown.jpg

FTS

IMG_1939.jpg

Video with the MP10 cranked up on lagoon mode

th_mvi_1946.jpg

Awesome. You got a nem on the overflow side or something? All my fish hang out on the side with the vortech on it. Only the dottback spends any signifigant time on the far end.

Awesome. You got a nem on the overflow side or something? All my fish hang out on the side with the vortech on it. Only the dottback spends any signifigant time on the far end.

Naw, I think he was just being a little cautious because I had just put the MP10 and just cranked it up. Also there are better hiding places on the side by the wall, particularly since the shrimp has claimed the rocks on the right side as his territory.

Very nice DIY AIO. All these small and pico tanks that are AIO makes me want to try it. It sounds and looks like it would be fun to do.

Bruce

Very nice DIY AIO. All these small and pico tanks that are AIO makes me want to try it. It sounds and looks like it would be fun to do.

Bruce

Thanks. If I had my druthers (yes I just used "druthers") I would probably have preferred this tank have a sump but since this in my office and I am not even positive that I am allowed to have a tank (though i've had it for a year with no complaints) it seems best to keep it as simple as possible...

The construction and watching the tank take shape really are a lot of fun...

Questions andru,

I am not clear on the path of the water. Does it actually flow under your refugium floor to the small box that holds the pump? I see the 3rd grate below your mechanical filter rack and wonder its purpose.

thanks,

Kevivoe

Questions andru,

I am not clear on the path of the water. Does it actually flow under your refugium floor to the small box that holds the pump? I see the 3rd grate below your mechanical filter rack and wonder its purpose.

thanks,

Kevivoe

Yes, the majority of the water flows through the filter floss & chemipure then under the refugium floor. Some gets diverted to the fuge. The third grate is just to keep stuff from falling down underneath. It's probably not actually needed since I added a small wall to the left of it to help keep things in the refugium.

this idea is sick I love the all in one idea for a 20L. Eat that biocube!

Thanks, I have a BioCube 29 as well, but the dimensions of the 20L are just so much more interesting. Plus I really love the "depth" you can add to the tank by making it a peninsula style with corals viewable on both the long sides.

I know, plus he makes it look so easy!

Acrylic, a saw, silicone and paint... a monkey could do it... well maybe not a monkey, but it really was pretty straightforward once I figured out my plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looking good! Did you spray paint the overflow black or did you buy it black? I am looking for something similar myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived