Cultivated Reef

n0rk's LEDPico Experiment Bonanza

n0rk

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I found the original image in the Categorization thread in the Lounge. I just modified it last night to be the right dimensions and size...

• 1 month later...
Amazing tank! I'm waiting for new pictures :happy:

Thanks for the compliment. I just wish it lived up to that right now :mellow:

Tank's been going through some tough times recently. It seems that when it rains, it truly does pour... aside from life just being a powderkeg of #### around lately, the tank has not been getting much attention (in part due to my main tank finally being online) because I've simply had no time. It all kicked off when we had a huge temperature spike about a month back, everything started to look a bit sad. Then the chemistry on the tank went way out of whack, things started looking sadder. My wiring on my LED went bad so I had to rewire from scratch which has inevitably changed brightness on the fixture and shocked the corals. I disturbed the DSB which dumped H2S into the tank, being a veteran of H2S exposure I know just how bad it is... the coral responded in kind. Then to top it all off, the other night the power was off on the tank for 13 hours. Oh, and there's plague proportion Aiptasia in the tank too which is stinging and messing with the corals. And there's no available nutrient in the tank left to feed the corals. So... all in all, everything's ####ed right now :) sic vita est, such is life.

img0020tw.jpg

For comparison, here's a FTS from 3 weeks ago.

img9828.jpg

Cheers. The Acans, the Mushrooms and the Zoos are absolutely revelling in the mess though, I don't quite understand it. My Acans are growing heaps, started out with 4 eyes back when I got them (mid August), now I'm up to I think I counted 14 yesterday? If only they were a good grade I'd be sitting on a goldmine. Zoos are going mental, I've grown about 20 of 2 different kinds over the last month somehow... I guess the change to NSW has had some positive effects. This afternoon stuff looks a little better, been feeding them pretty hard with zooton/reef pearls/cyclops/a few ZEO things, making a difference I can see.

The Acros are awesome, I love 'em. I've definitely tried to pick the best around town. Hopefully have a few really special pieces in there soon... :)

I really like your main tank too! looks kind of like my planned shallow tank that I wont be getting for many years!

This little tank can make it, I just know it :) It's still very colorful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

More rearrangement. The floods here kind of inspired me to move stuff... especially seeings the Zoos I had on the rock behind the rock have seemingly exploded since I've been feeding the tank again. The Acans have exploded. The Trachy is fat as a mofo. I had to move the Candy Cane because the VSP was encrusting it... all in all, despite everything, it seems to be runnin' okay.

img0267iaj.jpg

so basically everything in your tank has exploded into bits? shame :(

lmao jk.

Tanks a bit purple, but the trachy makes up for it all.

It only looks purple because the camera couldn't compensate between the LEDs and the sunlight - no matter what way I went with the RAW editor it couldn't resolve. Of an afternoon the sun is dumping about 800 PAR directly into the tank... that's why the Duncans aren't so happy :lol:

You're just jealous, D. SO JEALOUS. :angry:

It's not the best the tank's ever looked, but hey, it's still alive despite quite a few chances for it not to be...

looks like the best the tank has ever looked to me lol. the sunlight adds a nice tough and the biga** treachy really makes up for color variation along with other things :P

I dunno man, I hold myself to a pretty high standard with tanks and this hasn't quite gone as planned for the last few months. I mean, it's survived which has exceeded my expectations, but it's not quite how I had planned it. So I'm not sure what way I'll go once the contest is over... miniature SPS tank is on the cards...

Either way, this tank is now very close to what I call "grown up" for a pico - in 2 weeks time this tank will be a year old, not a bad milestone considering the way it's designed.

Not at all, the tank could probably survive a nuclear blast if it needed to - the principles are effective and simple. Me, on the other hand... I'm not quite so resilient as my system. I came very close to taking it down twice during the course of proceedings. This last year has been horrific for my health so it's pretty much had to be autopilot.

Archived