SaltCritters.com

n0rk's LEDPico Experiment Bonanza

n0rk

Nah, it's not destroyed, just slightly different... I managed to get everything in roughly the same place it was. Looks good enough for now... I just need to keep my hands out of the tank... <_<

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Nice! This tank is looking awesome! What are you using to get those images? How do you get the actinic glow without blueing everything out?

Nice! This tank is looking awesome! What are you using to get those images? How do you get the actinic glow without blueing everything out?

Those ones ^^ were taken with a Canon EOS 20D with a 28-70mm f/3,5-5,6 @ 1/80sec f/4,0 ISO200 in RAW mode. Basically I've discovered with the RAW editor in Photoshop, there's a threshold you need to surpass on a few settings to bring it back from total burnout - boost the colour temperature (leave the tint alone) by about 3500K or so, increase the blacks by about 25% (or until the background subdues a little), increase vibrance by maybe 20%, and then drop your saturation (this is the most important part) until the harsh blue washout disappears. Because the washout is the strongest of the saturated areas, they'll disappear before the actinic effect does.

Hopefully that makes sense? :) at any rate, the tank is pretty blue anyway so I needed to work out how to combat it... the saturation value seems by far the most important aspect of the process.

looks good

Thanks a lot :)

Because I'm cool, a better look at the patterned Zoas I just added.

1fz0id.jpg

All I need now are some speckled ones and I'm good...

• 2 weeks later...

This is not an official update, but an off-the-record one. Just felt like posting some more progress pics for my own reference.

zjdmw0.jpg

4uuheh.jpg

2zzjlz8.jpg

Just needed something to take my mind off my health woes.. :happy:

Cheers Weetie :) for a tank that doesn't get looked after I think it's doing pretty well. I can't even remember my last WC on it... :scarry:

Looking Great :)

looks good -- post pics -- only real official updates are in the FTS thread anyway

Thanks guys :) FTS will be soon... once I'm done acquiring livestock... <_<

actinic much :P

feel better bud. all the men in my family have heart troubles as well. i'll be with you soon enough.

Royal Blue, thanks! :P heart disease is a bit of a biggie in my family, same as cancer and mental problems... I'm almost guaranteed to have at least one of the three in later life. My family really knew how to pick out and select the worst possible gene pool :) cheers man.

:o

Seriously... this tank seems to like no WCs? :huh: I don't even have salt...

• 2 weeks later...

August FTS/start of static grow-out.

2zzjlz8.jpg

Equipment

• DIY CREE XP-G/XP-E lights
  • AquaOne 200W heater
  • AquaOne 200L/h HOB filter ('fuge)
  • AquaOne 400L/h pump (return)
  • 6" DSB

Stocking

• Euphyllia glabrescens
  • Euphyllia parancora
  • Trachyphyllia geoffroyi
  • Cycloseris tenuis
  • Duncanopsammia axifuga
  • Acanthastrea spp.
  • Blastomussa spp.
  • Caulastrea sp.
  • Fungia sp.
  • Zoanthus sp.
  • Palythoa sp.
  • Pachyclavularia sp.
  • Discosoma sp.

Ohmigosh, that looks so nice!!!

Thanks Weetie :) I was hoping there'd be... more... to see in there, but I didn't end up grabbing any extra at my local club's AGM. I dunno, I'm pretty happy with it for now. One of the other reefers came over the other day and was amazed just how productive the DSB was and how self-managing the entire system is. Pays to plan properly and do things to extreme proportions I guess? :lol:

Is those purple star polyps? Cool!

They is! Finding green ones here is pretty difficult because as far as I know they're not native (we can only get native corals/clams/inverts as of about 1993), but the purple ones are fairly common. Look pretty rad under the LEDs :)

kicks my tank's arse :)

very nice and clean,

Haha, fight club for tanks? Now there's a competition! Thanks! :D

Tank looks really nice nOrk.

Thanks man, yours looks pretty great too. Especially loving those giant green Palys you've got :)

Looks like you have enough in there to me, you're supposed to leave stuff room to grow anyway.

There's actually a fair bit of room, it just doesn't look like it because of how the photos turn out. Originally I'd planned for some Ric yumas and some more Acans to go down the side behind the two Acans at the front, just so that there was growth all around the rockwork. For now I've just settled on having two kinds of Zoas taking over that part of the tank. Besides, only half of it is actually growing... the other half is just sorta meandering... :scarry:

The tank looks amazing buddy :)

Gracias AM :) let's see how it looks in a few months when it's passed the 1 year mark...

Archived