120g starphire saltwater garden eel/pipefish/planted tank

jiriki76

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been UBER busy!!! .... with work :(

th_MobileVideoJun4201071437PM.jpg

These guys are amazing... I have a total of 4x splendids and 2x spotteds... for at least a month.. i thought only 2 survived... just this past week.. i spotted the rest of them. I have no idea what they have been feeding on.

Did I ever say they weren't awesome? :P

Weetie didn't... So they were happy after you said that :)

I soooo :wub: this thread, looking forward to more pics!

Thanks! I have some of your macro in my tank I think. Got them from got2envy. Blue scroll? And some red spotted?

Just put in an order with reefcleaners. Ordered almost one of everything he had... especially the Mermaid's shotglass :)

I got some shaving brush and Mermaid's fan from LFS yesterday.

I am feeding the tank half cyclopeeze and half nutramar ova. I believe they are mostly feeding on cyclopeeze. The janns pipe appear to be eating the nutramar ova.

I have been adding in mysis for the blenny.

Nutramar Ova is frozen prawn eggs. Ultra tiny. Smaller than DI resin beads even. Sort of a light orange color.

I got mine from saltycritter.com.

Reefhotspot appears to be the only online retailer I can find which sells alligator pipefish.... They aren't cheap from them either.

I implemented a new water changing system on my 180g.

2x Aqua medic sp3000's - 50mL per hour

One to pull water from the 45g Brute can full of fresh saltwater and dump it into the sump. Another to pull from the sump and dump it into a QT tank which has a bulkhead to drain out to a sink.

The pumps run for 13 minutes once an hour. If I remember the time correctly, I should be changing out roughly 10% of the water once a week. 40% once a month.

Once every 3 weeks, I would need to refill the brute can and mix up a new batch.

I have a third pump but the sump for the 120g is a bit far away. I will pump the 180g into the 120g and then again from the 120g to the QT tank.

Pros:

-I can be lazy about water changes

-No shock to any of the systems

-I can maintain a different temperature zone for each tank

-I can definitely eliminate the skimmer on the 120g

-No more heater for the brute can

-QT does not have to be maintained separately

-Whatever alk/calc/Mg levels are maintained in the 180g, should translate to the 120g... which has much much lower alk/calc/Mg requirements due to very few hard corals and a few calcium based plants.

Cons:

-Pumps aren't cheap @$100 each brand new

-Replacement tubings aren't cheap either @ $25 per tube - lasts 4 to 5 months

-Salinity might drift but will require monitoring

-In reality, the amount of water being changed out per day is so low.. the salinity change would take days if not weeks to make a significant impact.. at least at 220g water volume levels

-QT salinity may drift because there's no ATO.. something to monitor

-

• 3 years later...

Archived