Innovative Marine Aquariums

120g starphire saltwater garden eel/pipefish/planted tank

jiriki76

So.. the Icecap ballast died... :(

I cut the acrylic to make the dam to hold up 8+" of sand for the garden eels.

And I finally found some splendid garden eels. They should be here next Tuesday. :)

I have some macro algae as well:

Fern Calupera

Flat Calupera

Red Titan

Red spotted

Blue something. (got it from got2envy)

I think I have some dragon's tongue as well. Not positive

I have not had great success at growing macro except for calupera and chaeto so this ought to be an interesting experience.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6

And I finally found some splendid garden eels. They should be here next Tuesday. :)

YES!!!!

So.. the Icecap ballast died... :(

I have some macro algae as well:

Fern Calupera

Flat Calupera

Red Titan

Red spotted

Blue something. (got it from got2envy)

I think I have some dragon's tongue as well. Not positive

I have not had great success at growing macro except for calupera and chaeto so this ought to be an interesting experience.

The "Red Spotted" and "Blue Something" both like high light. (I have both of those.)

The Red Spotted is a fast grower.

Caulerpa is easy.

Red Titan I dunno.

If your Dragons Tongue is the same thing as the Flame Algae I have, which it might be, it doesn't like super high light but does like higher flow.

So I jacked around with the ballast... and it appears a bad bulb prevents the other 3 bulbs from firing. I put in another old bulb and it's back online again! Woo hoo!

I have tried growing dragon's tongue 3 times before and was never successful.

Oh I also have some green Ulva.

The red spotted is more red under bright lights. It's more red than white now and it's only been a few days... strange.

I am getting another bucket of sand from a guy who's breaking down his 500g tomorrow. And crappy liverock for my sump.

I did a nitrate test and I am at 5ppm.

kenschickjah

This sounds like a sweet setup. Once you get everything set up please post pics! I'm very interested and might consider plants myself if you are successful.

I added more sand. It's more course than I wanted. Oh well. Water is super murky. I moved all of the finer sand into the back 8" sand dam. And I still need more! Geez...

The upside, the live sand I got has so much life in it. Lots of tunnels and such.

I am fairly sure there will no be cycling.

I found my old BFS dual reactor. I'll be adding carbon on the system for a few months just in case.

Maybe some pics later. I'm supposed to be working right now...

Militant Jurist

I'm looking forward to seeing the macros! The blue macro from g2e should be really cool, because she always has great stuff. ;) I do believe that the dragon's tongue is the same thing as flame algae. Mine has been growing like crazy since I got a small bit of it in January. It's on the sand bed in my 29, and I've got the MP10 cranked up.

I added more sand. It's more course than I wanted. Oh well. Water is super murky. I moved all of the finer sand into the back 8" sand dam. And I still need more! Geez...

The upside, the live sand I got has so much life in it. Lots of tunnels and such.

I am fairly sure there will no be cycling.

I found my old BFS dual reactor. I'll be adding carbon on the system for a few months just in case.

Sounds great! A short cycle/no cycle always rocks.

animalmaster6

Can't wait for pics!

This tank is going to be awesome.

What species of seahorse do you plan to have?

I have 3x splendid garden eels. No pics yet. I'm pissed at one of them already. It jumped into my overflow box the second it hit the water. I am going to have a heck of a time getting him out.

No pics yet. They are completely burrowed. The one that jumped into the overflow has passed away :( It figured out how to get down the overflow tube which was grated. Being so only a quarter inch in diamater, it was able to fit :(

One of them came out late last night. I got paged to do some work on a server. I looked into the tank with a flashlight and saw one almost completely out of the sand. So the good news is, at least one is doing okay.

I'm still pissed that the one jumped into the overflow within seconds of going into the tank.

Archived