Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ecoxotic Stunner Actinic Strip Review

Bio_Borg

Yes, LEDs give a shimmer effect.

I know LEDs give a shimmer..but are these powerful enough to actually show the shimmer effect with my main lights on..or will the main lights just wash them out completely like they do to most moonlight type LED

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know LEDs give a shimmer..but are these powerful enough to actually show the shimmer effect with my main lights on..or will the main lights just wash them out completely like they do to most moonlight type LED

I dunno. :shrugs:

Try it and let me know! :D

Or you could ask the OP....

I have 3 stunners (1 453 2 mixed) with 3 PCs in my bc29. They add more light (I can tell the difference between off and on) but shimmer is washed out.

I have 3 stunners (1 453 2 mixed) with 3 PCs in my bc29. They add more light (I can tell the difference between off and on) but shimmer is washed out.

bummer..well thanks for saving me $140 anyway :)

LogansRunRx
more pics

thanks for all the pics, jfarabaugh... looks great!

just think what the output of ur hood is gonna be with the new PCRs from nanotuners :o

thanks for all the pics, jfarabaugh... looks great!

just think what the output of ur hood is gonna be with the new PCRs from nanotuners :o

I had the PCRs ordered via the presale then I canceled it and waiting for the T5R conversion kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice ... Now only if our buddy Borg went out of his way and shot a short video of this tank to demonstrate the shimmer effect of those bad boys! ;)

The 403 is more purple than blue. The 453 is better as far as actinic coloration. I bought both the 403 and 453 and ended up returning the 403. Not sure what the 403 would be good for.

VtheMaestro
The 403 is more purple than blue. The 453 is better as far as actinic coloration. I bought both the 403 and 453 and ended up returning the 403. Not sure what the 403 would be good for.

I read somewhere that the 453 blue appears to be closer to actinic coloration, but the 403 purple is actually "the closest approximation to true 420nm actinic light from an LED."

jfarabaugh & mrezn8, we need you to come join the ecoxotic club!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=236372

• 2 weeks later...
bummer..well thanks for saving me $140 anyway :)

You only get shimmer if you get surface agitation. That's a bigger factor. You can get some shimmer with T5s and PCs if you make enough water movement at the surface.

• 1 month later...
My stunner stripe gets water splashed on it...have had it for 6 months no issues yet

+1...i absolutely love ours over the bc 14...i hate the stock bulbs that came in the hood but I'm not ready to dump a ton of money into a huge led retro gig. If I wasn't worried about burning stuff I would put like 4 of the stunners in the hood.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have biocube 29, with upgrade 3.36, PC-R (2) 50/50 and one dual actinic.

I added stunner 453 to it..

with all lights off- wow it pops colorful!

With (2) 50/50 on- NOTHING...hard to tell if stunner is on or off.

Kind of disappointed. oh well..

Jake

• 1 month later...
dvsclownfish1

The 403 is more UV than actinic and is not bright at all. They are used to increase coloration but it takes time for it to develop that most people won't wait for.

• 3 months later...
I have got to pick up a couple of these for my tanks!
I picked these up at my lfs for a great deal i picked up the 8000k white and there perfect par number are compaired to just under A 150 W METAL HALIDE
I picked these up at my lfs for a great deal i picked up the 8000k white and there perfect par number are compaired to just under A 150 W METAL HALIDE

i doubt that. lol

got a par meter and a camera handy? cuz this sounds alot like a "pics or it didn't happen situation"

i know a local store that was going to light the entire fish section with only stunner strips and they took them all down because they weren't bright enough.so now they have upwards of 100 strips they need to get rid of. i'm just saying i've seen these attempted in a professional setting and it isn't that bright. not at all.

FishStrings

Stunners were never advertised as an independent light source. I believe If you were going for a primary light source, you would be buying panoramas.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did added a single strip just as described in the original post with the zip ties to hold it in place. So far it looks great but it got incredibly hot yesterday, quickly raising the tank to 82 degrees. Anyone else have this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

i have one on my 20 gallon acrylic as a supplement to my t5's. I love the blues and their combination lights. :) Dropped the lights and wires in the water also and it didn't budge. Awesome lights.

Archived