ReefCleaners.org

Ecoxotic Stunner Actinic Strip Review

Bio_Borg

Well, I was looking for some actinic supplementation for my BC14, and definitely wanted the "pop" LED's provided. Nobody seemed to have a clear idea how well these would perform in a BC14, let alone how exactly a retro would be done safely and with good coverage. I decided to spend the $70 or so via Dr Fosters and took the plunge.. So here's my short review with pics:

Setup/Build quality: Except for the retrofit needed, the device itself is brainless to setup.. You basically just plug it in. They give you a little sticky conduit to keep the power cord out of the water, and the connection between the stunner and power lead is a male/female waterproof type connector. The strip itself has no exposed wiring, and is on a solid piece of aluminum.

Retrofit ease (on a BC14): This took some thought.. Ideally, one would want to put this behind the light shield, but the only options were either over the reflector, or between the bulbs (which would block the moonlights). There was also the issue of heat, and I was worried the PC bulbs would weaken the life of the strip. The strip itself also became hot once plugged in for awhile.. Also, when testing towards the back of the tank (which is where it would be if placed on the reflector), i wasn't satisifed with the intensity at the front of the tank. So, I basically used a hot butter knife to cut slots towards the back of the feeder hood, and snapped the strip right into place. if you cut the slots right, you can make a nice very tight fit.. Picture included below of the retro.. This gave 100% light coverage and doesn't obstruct feeding at all.

Light intensity: Very bright to the human eye. Not blinding, but enough that you'll see stars if you look at it for more than a few seconds.

Tank lighting results: the pics speak for themselves, but one strip has no problem getting full and deep penetration on a BC14. Adds a nice blue shimmer tinge with all the PC bulbs on.

Heat Output: Tank was a steady 78F before install, now is 79.5F.

Effect on Coral: Only have had it in place for 48 hours, but my zoas are now 100% open while before it was no more than maybe 75% on a good day. My Yellow Polyped leather is super happy, covered in a yellow fur, while before just on PC it was basically yellow dots. No diff so far with my ricordia or torch coral, but they seemed happy before anyways.

Unknowns...: The fixture is rated as "water resistant". In its current location, it is 1" above the water surface and will obviously be receiving condensate. Only time will tell whether water/salt will negatively impact it, but so far no problems.

overall rating: 9/10. Got the extra pop I wanted, clean install, and corals seem happy. The pictures don't really do it justice unfortunately, but in person they really do add a nice shimmer and fluorescent pop to the corals.

retrofit picture:

Video2100000-01.jpg

Just Stunner Strip on:

Video1800000-06.jpg

Just PC's on:

Video2000002-11.jpg

PC's and Stunner on:

Video1900000-08.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks a lot better with the new led's. I have a BC29 and was thinking of getting a couple of these. Your pics helped me make the decision to get them. I was just looking to supplement my stock lighting to get better color to my zoa's and acan's. I haven't figured out where I'm going to place them yet. Like you stated there are heat issued if placed near the PC's. I might end up doing that anyway.

Nice looking tank!

Tank looks a lot better with the new led's. I have a BC29 and was thinking of getting a couple of these. Your pics helped me make the decision to get them. I was just looking to supplement my stock lighting to get better color to my zoa's and acan's. I haven't figured out where I'm going to place them yet. Like you stated there are heat issued if placed near the PC's. I might end up doing that anyway.

Nice looking tank!

I'd highly recommend it. I don't know the layout of the BC29, but if you can squeeze it in the middle, you can get by with one unit. Otherwise two will certainly be plenty. For me, it was definitely $70 well spent.

Are you experiencing any condensation or salt creep issues with the placement of that strip? I'm just trying to plan where to put mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for the great info Borg! I just did this modd/add-on. Although I was trying to be careful and take small amounts at a time, I inevitably took too much out and I couldn't get enough of a tight fit to feel comfortable with leaving it "as is". I drilled a big enough hole for a small ziptie to fit thru and tied off ea. end of the strip. Looks fine, can barely notice.

Love the color pop these offer!!!!

Thx for the great info Borg! I just did this modd/add-on. Although I was trying to be careful and take small amounts at a time, I inevitably took too much out and I couldn't get enough of a tight fit to feel comfortable with leaving it "as is". I drilled a big enough hole for a small ziptie to fit thru and tied off ea. end of the strip. Looks fine, can barely notice.

Love the color pop these offer!!!!

Hey, great idea with the Zip ties. Originally I had intended to lightly epoxy mine in place, but in the end the fit was so tight I didn't need to. Zip ties far better imho.

Definitely great bang for the buck. My corals seem to love them, and after I adjusted my Koralia to churn the water surface, I get really nice shimmer. Also, for whatever reason after a few weeks of running, my temp is back to 78.. Can't explain that myself, but I'm not complaining.

Here's a not so wonderful pic with just the Stunner. I'm super-pleased with the color pop I get in person. FYI, this tank has only been setup for 3 weeks...thus the reason for looking so barren.

post-49899-1265325673_thumb.jpg

Do these add any PAR to the tank? Is it significant? Or is it more for the shimmer effect of halides

and some additional "color pop"? I am looking for something to supplement my T5's and increase the PAR a bit...

Do these add any PAR to the tank? Is it significant? Or is it more for the shimmer effect of halides

and some additional "color pop"? I am looking for something to supplement my T5's and increase the PAR a bit...

Well it must add some PAR, as they are pretty bright and the tank is small.. The main goal is color/shimmer though.

• 3 weeks later...
I am also running a strip as my main light source on a desktop Pico Barracuda.. Very happy with them so far. ( I have the act/daylight strip)

just 1 strip?... how much light do these things put out???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the 453nm in my 3 gallon pico and I love it. Granted, these lights won't put out enough light for a larger tank, but for small nano/pico tanks, they could be used as primary lighting. I have a Coralife 18W above my 3 gallon pico and the light is very harsh. I'm thinking of buying the 8000K to compliment the 453nm and get rid of my PC.

weetabix, i saw that link before. but it doesnt mention which strip was used to measure the par, the white, blue, or the combo.

weetabix, i saw that link before. but it doesnt mention which strip was used to measure the par, the white, blue, or the combo.

According to evilc66, one of the unique things about LED lighting is that Blue LEDs put out just as much PAR as White LEDs.

Don't know if that's just as true of these LEDs as it is of the LEDs evilc is working with, but if so it would make it a moot point which color strip was used for the tests.

so are these able to give shimmer like a MH..I was wondering if I got 2 and put on each side of my 4x24 T5 it would give me a MH shimmer effect

so are these able to give shimmer like a MH..I was wondering if I got 2 and put on each side of my 4x24 T5 it would give me a MH shimmer effect

Yes, LEDs give a shimmer effect.

Archived