inTank Media Baskets

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Zatoichi

So I was wondering if it was safe to use this for human consumption?

Corals aren't the only ones needing trace elements, right?

It says pharma grade, highest purity guaranteed etc...

ps I wasn't sure if this belonged in begginer section

animalmaster6
I think this should be moved to the Lounge ASAP.

Mods??

MODS???

not nice

So I was wondering if it was safe to use this for human consumption?

Corals aren't the only ones needing trace elements, right?

It says pharma grade, highest purity guaranteed etc...

ps I wasn't sure if this belonged in begginer section

I highly doubt you can. Mine say toxic not for human consumption.

Why would you wanna eat it?

I think you should sprinkle it on all of your meals and let us know how that works for you.

Also make sure you have poison control on speed dial

I think you should sprinkle it on all of your meals and let us know how that works for you.

Also make sure you have poison control on speed dial

but it hasn't killed the fish....yet :wacko:

I know I've swallowed my fair share of 'real' sea salt at Sandy's in Hawaii.

I've eaten my pro reef. I think it tastes a bit metallic compared to kosher, and the texture isn't as nice. Switch to kosher for cooking. :)

the stuff in saltwater will kill your liver and then your kidneys. thats why they say never to drink water from the ocean even if ur dying from dehydration.

ur liver just cant handle all the stuff in it. the natural seasalt that their putting in food is filter and treated so its safer...and expensive.

Yes too much salt is bad! I typically have a low sodium diet and problems retaining salt. I have to have a lil extra salt in my diet, so I was wondering if tropic marin would be a good choice. not all salt @ the store is treated btw.

Also, I looked up organic sea salt and other premium salts used in gourmet cooking. What they said was that they took water from the sea evaporated it and collected the salt. No refinement is allowed. No additions are allowed and it has to be away from any main roads or chemical use etc etc.

This makes me think that Trop Marin Pro Reef is better for you because it's USP (pharma) grade and there are absolutely no contaminants @ all. And it's all measured n such.

I've never heard a reliable source say that anything in clean saltwater will kill your liver or kidneys. When you loose water and get dehydrated, what's really happening is salt and other electrolytes are becoming more concentrated in your body, and that's why drinking saltwater doesn't make dehydration better and only stands to make it worse. You need pure freshwater to start diluting your bodies salt and electrolytes again.

And incase you're serious, I wouldn't advise eating trop marin or any other aquarium salt. I doubt its toxic, but when they say it's not fit for human consumption, they means that it's manufacture isn't held to the necessary standards to ensure it would be safe to eat. Plants that manufacture food are held to strict safety and cleanliness standards that I'm sure don't apply to the plant that manufactures aquarium salt.

I've never heard a reliable source say that anything in clean saltwater will kill your liver or kidneys. When you loose water and get dehydrated, what's really happening is salt and other electrolytes are becoming more concentrated in your body, and that's why drinking saltwater doesn't make dehydration better and only stands to make it worse. You need pure freshwater to start diluting your bodies salt and electrolytes again.

And incase you're serious, I wouldn't advise eating trop marin or any other aquarium salt. I doubt its toxic, but when they say it's not fit for human consumption, they means that it's manufacture isn't held to the necessary standards to ensure it would be safe to eat. Plants that manufacture food are held to strict safety and cleanliness standards that I'm sure don't apply to the plant that manufactures aquarium salt.

But the thing is Trop Marin is USP GRADE, which means it's held to the standards that pharma companies use (i'm pretty sure. i had to look up usp grade ethanol the other day). USP grade is one of the highest standards there is. This is why I asked if it was okay. I guess it is as long as you're not dehydrated. I just wanted to use it instead of regular table salt.

USP Grade just means that a chemical is pure, it doesn't mean it won't kill you. Arsenic can be found in a very pure grade, but it will still kill you dead.

Ok, why would you want to eat it instead of table salt? Why not stick to that like normal people?

BTW, I'm sure flake food won't kill you either...why not eat that for protein..or some frozen mysis...yummm

Please don't eat mysis..or flake food..that was a joke

I know I've swallowed my fair share of 'real' sea salt at Sandy's in Hawaii.

I've eaten my pro reef. I think it tastes a bit metallic compared to kosher, and the texture isn't as nice. Switch to kosher for cooking. :)

I've swallowed gallons of SW of the years from wipe outs.

Nothing bad has happened yet.

Archived