SaltCritters.com

Tiki 14g Reef

vegas chad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to reiterate, you are going to want to upgrade your lighting. I just upgraded to an LED fixture. Many builds on here to show you how. I have a clam that has been happy in my BC14

Just to reiterate, you are going to want to upgrade your lighting. I just upgraded to an LED fixture. Many builds on here to show you how. I have a clam that has been happy in my BC14

I am going back and forth between the SunPod route and the LED... Back and forth, back and forth, I like the kit on nanocustoms and if I did it I would want something like that however I feel that it is overpriced when you factor in the cost of everything stand alone. The SunPod is plug and play however I will have to ditch the tank lid. But then again the sun pod top looks kind a neat I think. Then again I was looking into a few of those clap swing arm lights too... I will figure it out here soon.

Another update is that I have ordered an ATO from Aquahub.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product27.html

Well much to my surprise my wife purchased me a gift last week... Doh... And wouldn’t yea know it... It was a clam. I was not really ready for one, but with her getting it while she was out of town, right before I go out of town I did not really have any other choice but to dunk the sucker in.

I will get my ATO working tomorrow, but the clam has been in for 3 days now and seems to be not dead. Less than ideal for a clam at the moment, but we are making the best of it. As soon as I get back we are going to get our new light... Starting to lean toward a SunPod or Swing arm of some sort, I do like the LED’s too.... Arg. We will try our best to keep everything on the even for Sheldon the clams sake. :P

P1010392.jpg

P1010393.jpg

P1010394.jpg

I hope the clam does ok. Is taking it back to the store out of the question or are you going to try and stick it out? I wouldn't add any new livestock for awhile to let the tank stabilize further and get some phyto for the clam (if you haven't done/thought of this stuff yet).

Looking good though.

That clam is very pretty, being as it's a crocea though, you need to get some light over it VERY quickly. To be honest though, the odds are kind of against you on this one. Not only is your light insufficient, but a one month old tank can be unstable, causing undue stress to a very delicate animal. I don't want to rain on your parade :( Just be thoughtful of the clam. If it starts taking a downturn, you may want to think about relocating it.

I hope the clam does ok. Is taking it back to the store out of the question or are you going to try and stick it out? I wouldn't add any new livestock for awhile to let the tank stabilize further and get some phyto for the clam (if you haven't done/thought of this stuff yet).

Looking good though.

Yea I would just that the dude back but she got it while she was down in SoCal. I did some reading though and like you suggested in the absence of proper lighting I am supplementing phytoplankton. LoL... Told the wife we are not getting anything new for the tank until the big aquarium show that we are going to in April I think it is.

That clam is very pretty, being as it's a crocea though, you need to get some light over it VERY quickly. To be honest though, the odds are kind of against you on this one. Not only is your light insufficient, but a one month old tank can be unstable, causing undue stress to a very delicate animal. I don't want to rain on your parade :( Just be thoughtful of the clam. If it starts taking a downturn, you may want to think about relocating it.

He should have a light on him by early next week. The ATO is getting installed today and actually we have been testing every other day and things seem rather steady, but doubtful it is as much so as an older tank. I am jetting down to Mexico/SoCal for about a week, so it’s in the hands of the wife now while I am out. No parade to be rained on here, the wife was just trying to be nice and made a misinformed decision, I can’t be mad at her for that, however lesson learned.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I have updated my thread so I will do so now! We are still on the hunt for some better lighting and will probably hold out till we attend the SoCal aquarium show in April. But even with the stock PC lights our clam seems to be doing fine! We have added an ATO to keep things more stable, 2 different kinds of mushrooms one of which is rather warty, some zooa rocks and a Kenya tree round out the what’s new. Oh and we also got a seldom seen baby pistol shrimp, our banded shrimp has molted 3 times since he has been in our tank so we are happy with him, he thinks its his tank really. Enough words, more pics.

FTS with ATO off to the right... yea looks kind of getto.

P1010851.jpg

From the top.

P1010850.jpg

Back and the ATO parts.

P1010849.jpg

Clammy the clam.

P1010847.jpg

P1010845.jpg

The mushroom that never stays in 1 spot.

P1010844.jpg

Rock o wonder.

P1010843.jpg

Fuzy mushroom and a zooa.

P1010842.jpg

Few more.

P1010841.jpg

FTS

P1010824.jpg

P1010827.jpg

P1010829.jpg

P1010840.jpg

vagas chad,

Very nice. Your tank is looking great. Nice pics. How is the clam doing?

So far the clam has been doing fine, it has been over a month now and no sign of PM or anything like that so all and all I am very happy with it. I will be getting my MH sometime soon so that should take care of him by way of light, but knock on wood, he is doing well under the stock light.

The ATO was easy, I have pics of me setting it up that I never got around to posting. The ATO came cheap from AquaHub.com

So far the clam has been doing fine, it has been over a month now and no sign of PM or anything like that so all and all I am very happy with it. I will be getting my MH sometime soon so that should take care of him by way of light, but knock on wood, he is doing well under the stock light.

The ATO was easy, I have pics of me setting it up that I never got around to posting. The ATO came cheap from AquaHub.com

Nice. Post the pics of you and the ATO. We like pics!!!! What MH did you get? That will definitly give more light. How are you going to attach it?

• 3 months later...
vegas chad

Well it’s been about 4 month since I have posted anything about my tank. Everything is going great with it. I has some issues with my coral banded shrimp which ate my little goby =(. In lew of that I traded him for a cleaner shrimp and got a new goby, the name of that I forgot.

Our clam is still doing well under the stock light; no sign of PM or anything other bad so far as I can see. I had planned on buying a clamp on MH however where we have the tank now (under a cabinet) I will have to stick to stock hood LED conversion.

Our harlequin shrimp is awesome and we are really enjoying him, we give him a small chocolate star every 3-4 weeks which he munches on at his leisure.

The Kenya tree is dividing everywhere and I have had to toss out a few sections as I don’t want a Kenya tree tank. =p The only issue that I have had as of late is that my zoas have not been opening up fully or as often… I am not too sure what is the problem as everything else is fine and it seems to be isolated to them. Any ideas???

Other than that we had to ditch the ATO due to space, so I went out and got our own RO system so I can add a little water everyday, that is not too big of a deal.

I want to add some frogspawn some more zoas and mushrooms, ECT…

Here is a video of the tank and some pictures of our shrimp.

DSC08317.jpg

DSC08320.jpg

DSC08319.jpg

DSC08323.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I also wanted to add in that the clam is still doing very well. It appears to have grown another section onto his shell too.

DSC08389.jpg

DSC08397.jpg

DSC08391.jpg

Just a few pictures.

Chad, your doing an great job with your tank and your photos are awesome. What is your camera set up?

I have a Sony A100 with a Macro, I can take some really nice shots however the bow on the front of the tanks really throws things off sometimes.

Also…

I returned home from the LA Pet Fair last night and after a long day at work I gave my tank a really good cleaning and a little water change. I then proceeded to arrange my new corals that I got from the show! Most of which I was able to trade reptiles for coral so that worked out really well! I am WAY tired so no pictures tonight however ill take some tomorrow. I wanted to get another clam however I resisted the siren calls. Adds include:

Red Acan 20 head frag

Blue Acan 5+ head frag

Pink, green, blue zoa rock

Pink zoa rock

Orange BamBam’s

2 heads of Frog spawn

Pagoda

CoCo Worm

And a few other things, I need to get another bit of live rock to add in the left hand corner to have more stacking area. . . I feel a rescape may be in the works sometime in the coming months.

Everything has a chance to relax and fully acclimate, it’s looking GREAT! I am REALLY starting to like the Acan’s, I can see myself possibly setting up an Ausi tank down the road.

I have been trying to figure out whether or not I like shooting with flash or not, it kind of depends on the outside light but during these few shots I like the no flash better. Let me know what you think.

*No Flash*

DSC08428.jpg

DSC08431.jpg

DSC08432.jpg

*With Flash*

DSC08429.jpg

DSC08430.jpg

DSC08434.jpg

DSC08436.jpg

• 2 months later...

I changed up my rocks yesterday and gave everything a really good cleaning, as a result I had to go out and buy a clam and a new fish. I went to the best LFS in town and found a small green Crocea looking me in the eye and also a small tail spot blenny, they are doing great as is everything else in the tank.

DSC08571.jpg

DSC08570.jpg

DSC08577.jpg

tank looks real nice! Every time I see one of these amazing tanks, it makes me wanna buy one of those all in one tanks like that. Looks so great! So cool that your clam has done so well! Keep posting pictures!

Archived