Top Shelf Aquatics

Cali's 75g lagoon...

Cali-girl

Don't need a drill press, in fact I dont know how or if you could even use one. Just a good battery operated hand drill. Of course you could tell him that after he buys the press. You wouldn't be able to manage the pressure well enough with a press I'm afraid.

Mine was like that for my 40 breeder for months and months.

I think he'll end up using the hand held drill ... but i'll let him dream ;)

The rock had some cyano on it in the previous owner's tank, i'm hoping the lack of light and no new nutrients added to the tank will kill it off. I guess if it doesn't I can dose it with the remover since there's nothing else in there right now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From one reefer chick to another :P

I'm putting together a 75 up here in CT after selling my 90 down in Texas. I'm not sure if you want any advice from me but I'll tell you what I have going with mine so far...

I decided to make my own sump. Couldn't find one up here worth a carp so I made it with a glass 30L. Definitely had to put it in the stand by taking the tank off the top. Hubby and I couldn't get it in any other way. I've got an Eheim 1260 after having a really LOUD Mag in my 90. One thing that is different with a bigger tank like this.....noise.

Noise from the overflow, noise from water going into the sump. The more flow that goes thru your sump/overflow the potential for more noise. Like a waterfall in your sump. My Eheim will have about 400 gph going thru my sump after a 4' head loss. I've also decided to plumb my tank using the Herbie Overflow method. Basically 2 drains with one of them having a gate valve on it which you close down until there is no sound. HUGE thread over at that other reef site B) if you're interested. I'm plumbing my return line over the back of the tank because my tank was predrilled with only 2 holes. You are at a great point right now to decide what kind of overflow system you want since you're going to drill. Then I have a Koralia 3 and a Vortech MP40 for flow in the tank. That should be more than enough flow for pretty much anything.

I have a Solar Flare T5 fixture. I want to delve into some easy SPS this time.

Hope I gave some useful information. I've learned so much over the past 2.5 years hear but still feel like a newbie sometimes!!

Good Luck with the tank!

I went with an aquactinics TX5 over my 70g build. Lot's of light!! I highly recommend it!

As for the drilling, I would think a drill press would be more precise, but I'm not even sure how you could get it in a spot where the press could reach it :P So hand drill would be the way to go :)

From one reefer chick to another :P

I'm putting together a 75 up here in CT after selling my 90 down in Texas. I'm not sure if you want any advice from me but I'll tell you what I have going with mine so far...

I decided to make my own sump. Couldn't find one up here worth a carp so I made it with a glass 30L. Definitely had to put it in the stand by taking the tank off the top. Hubby and I couldn't get it in any other way. I've got an Eheim 1260 after having a really LOUD Mag in my 90. One thing that is different with a bigger tank like this.....noise.

Noise from the overflow, noise from water going into the sump. The more flow that goes thru your sump/overflow the potential for more noise. Like a waterfall in your sump. My Eheim will have about 400 gph going thru my sump after a 4' head loss. I've also decided to plumb my tank using the Herbie Overflow method. Basically 2 drains with one of them having a gate valve on it which you close down until there is no sound. HUGE thread over at that other reef site B) if you're interested. I'm plumbing my return line over the back of the tank because my tank was predrilled with only 2 holes. You are at a great point right now to decide what kind of overflow system you want since you're going to drill. Then I have a Koralia 3 and a Vortech MP40 for flow in the tank. That should be more than enough flow for pretty much anything.

+1 on herbie if you haven't drilled yet (though i've heard of people having problems when they use a ball valve instead of a gate valve). I would definitely opt for that if my tank hadn't been pre-drilled.

i definitely have had my struggles with noise. that's why i recommend the tunze pumps so highly. and, keep in mind, the higher your gph, the more noise you're going to get.

i tried the eheim 1262 (900gph) prior to switching to the tunze 1073.020. the tunze is even quieter than the eheim (though the particular models i'm comparing are for different gph, so again, not apples to apples), and the tunze is half the footprint, half the wattage and half the price. the eheim 1260 is similar gph to the tunze 1073.020, but costs almost twice as much, and it's not adjustable, and again higher wattage and bigger footprint.

if you really want to go eheim, there is also the "eheim compact+" pump, which is adjustable. the compact+ 3000 goes up to 792gph (same as tunze 1073.040) for a little less money ($119 vs. $143 at Marine Depot). the compact+ 5000 goes up to 1320gph (but for $179!)! however, i don't know anything about the noise of the compact+ model.

if it were me, i'd still go with the tunze. :D

Hazmat - Thanks a lot for all that info, I'll look into the Herbie method and see how it works. I still haven't decided on a return pump yet, but I think I've got the flow amount figured out. I'll definitely ask you some questions down the line as I get going :)

Bamato - ya I think we're going to end up doing the hand drill. It just seems like you'll have more control over it.

Timdanger - still haven't looked into the Tunze, but it's on my list.

I'm going to be working out the sump this weekend. Hopefully I'll finally have some pictures to post up. I've decided to do one side with a skimmer (picking it up this weekend) and then the other side a refugium. That way I can separate the inflow to the sump and do two different rates for the needs of both sides.

+1 on herbie if you haven't drilled yet (though i've heard of people having problems when they use a ball valve instead of a gate valve). I would definitely opt for that if my tank hadn't been pre-drilled.

i definitely have had my struggles with noise. that's why i recommend the tunze pumps so highly. and, keep in mind, the higher your gph, the more noise you're going to get.

i tried the eheim 1262 (900gph) prior to switching to the tunze 1073.020. the tunze is even quieter than the eheim (though the particular models i'm comparing are for different gph, so again, not apples to apples), and the tunze is half the footprint, half the wattage and half the price. the eheim 1260 is similar gph to the tunze 1073.020, but costs almost twice as much, and it's not adjustable, and again higher wattage and bigger footprint.

if you really want to go eheim, there is also the "eheim compact+" pump, which is adjustable. the compact+ 3000 goes up to 792gph (same as tunze 1073.040) for a little less money ($119 vs. $143 at Marine Depot). the compact+ 5000 goes up to 1320gph (but for $179!)! however, i don't know anything about the noise of the compact+ model.

if it were me, i'd still go with the tunze. :D

I wish I would have know that before I bought the Eheim. I bought it because everyone raved about how quiet it is. And THIS time I'm focused on getting this tank as quiet as I can. I'm sure the Eheim will be fine. Although an adjustable pump would have been sweet!

picked up a ASM G2 this weekend with about 15-20 lbs of sand :)

I couldn't do the sump because of the rain, but I'll be ordering the overflow kit this week hopefully! It's comin' together!! :happydance:

picked up a ASM G2 this weekend with about 15-20 lbs of sand :)

I couldn't do the sump because of the rain, but I'll be ordering the overflow kit this week hopefully! It's comin' together!! :happydance:

Yayz

Alrighty!

This week was a week of ordering what I needed to get this thing at least put together.

The sump is mostly done, I'm waiting on the plumbing parts and return pump I ordered before I put in the last divider. I've got the skimmer hooked up, baffles done, Overflow ordered, a huge box of salt ready, rock ready, sand, ... um.... I think that's about it.

Just gotta get the parts together, tank drained and cleaned, stand sanded and figure out what i'm going to do with it. I think it's gonna need new hinges and I'd like to just paint it black.

Lights: I think I'm pretty much sold on Reef Geeks 175w retro kit. They can be fit in a canopy and I want to add T5 actinics along the line.

This has changed quite a bit from the original plan but I think it's gonna be good!! fingerscrossed

Alrighty!

This week was a week of ordering what I needed to get this thing at least put together.

The sump is mostly done, I'm waiting on the plumbing parts and return pump I ordered before I put in the last divider. I've got the skimmer hooked up, baffles done, Overflow ordered, a huge box of salt ready, rock ready, sand, ... um.... I think that's about it.

Just gotta get the parts together, tank drained and cleaned, stand sanded and figure out what i'm going to do with it. I think it's gonna need new hinges and I'd like to just paint it black.

Lights: I think I'm pretty much sold on Reef Geeks 175w retro kit. They can be fit in a canopy and I want to add T5 actinics along the line.

This has changed quite a bit from the original plan but I think it's gonna be good!! fingerscrossed

Sounds like you are well on your way... gonna need to see some pics soon.

When you get the tank cycled, let me know when you want me to ship you a couple seahorses:). Mine had fry last week.

Sounds like you are well on your way... gonna need to see some pics soon.

When you get the tank cycled, let me know when you want me to ship you a couple seahorses:). Mine had fry last week.

Oh Wow!! that's awesome! you trying to raise them?

i'm trying as hard as I can to keep the biocube and sell off everything else. - which is hard because the stuff i'm trading and selling is funding the new equipment. So far with all this I've only spent about $150 of my own money.

If i can end up keeping it.. well... you know what that means! :D

• 3 weeks later...

What's up Buttercup?! How the heck are ya? I'm glad to see you're still hooked.

I read through your thread and I think you will love the T5s. Especially for heat concerns. If you happen to get a little heat issue just add a small fan to blow over the water or sump. Put it on the same timer as your lights. Be ready for the added evaporation though.

I would get a skimmer too. It makes the water last longer. Not as many water changes. Reef-Octopus has some nice inexpensive units.

I know you're not a picture nut but anytime you are bored we all would love to see your progress.

• 2 weeks later...
dump the Maxijets for flow and exchange in a pair of Korrallia's. More flow, a little less heat, and better on your electric bill

+1 to that

i have 2 koralia 3's on my 75 and it is just about perfect, im loving them!

What's up Buttercup?! How the heck are ya? I'm glad to see you're still hooked.

I read through your thread and I think you will love the T5s. Especially for heat concerns. If you happen to get a little heat issue just add a small fan to blow over the water or sump. Put it on the same timer as your lights. Be ready for the added evaporation though.

I would get a skimmer too. It makes the water last longer. Not as many water changes. Reef-Octopus has some nice inexpensive units.

I know you're not a picture nut but anytime you are bored we all would love to see your progress.

You're right! I'm not a picture nut, but just because you said that i'm going to add some on here! haha

Everything is moved over!! here are some early pics from last week. Please disregard the lighting set up, I ended up with 2 175W MH's but they're still waiting to be mounted into a canopy. For now I just have my Sunpod 150W on the high light corals and some pcs over the softies. It's a ghetto setup at the moment :D

Fillin her up! Yes I used tap water! it was conditioned and run for a full week and a half before any livestock was put in. Also note, EVERYTHING came from a previously established tank before this one.

DSCN2203.jpg

sump

DSCN2204.jpg

FTS *Remember Temporary Lighting! haha :lol:

DSCN2216.jpg

right side

DSCN2210.jpg

left side

DSCN2212.jpg

down the length (i accidently kicked up the sand so it's a little cloudy)

DSCN2217.jpg

I'm getting the predicted diatom bloom because it's a new set up, but the skimmer and refugium are working perfectly. I've got 0 Nitrates even after adding all the livestock a couple weeks ago.

This tank is one of the funnest projects I've worked on! Even my family is taking an interest. I keep finding my dad sitting on the floor in front of it like a little kid ;) My mom just discovered the starfish and clam.... they've been in there for over a year....

anyway, when the lighting and canopy get put up I'll post more pics. For now there probably won't be anymore changes to the equipment.

Hope everyone likes it :)

Fillin her up! Yes I used tap water! it was conditioned and run for a full week and a half before any livestock was put in. Also note, EVERYTHING came from a previously established tank before this one.

Tank is looking good, but OUCH on the tap water.... it is going to make your algae cycle all the more vicious.

Tank is looking good, but OUCH on the tap water.... it is going to make your algae cycle all the more vicious.

Ya but it's ok. I've got the refugium going and a great skimmer that's already pulling stuff. A fill-up with RO/DI would have taken Weeks to do or money i didn't want to spend on Distilled water.

What MH bulbs are you going to go with?

The retro's i got had Aquamax (?) bulbs. Once these go out I'll probably end up with a coupld Phoenix bulbs

Ya but it's ok. I've got the refugium going and a great skimmer that's already pulling stuff. A fill-up with RO/DI would have taken Weeks to do or money i didn't want to spend on Distilled water.

Your local LFS should carry fairly affordable RODI water. I take it you didn't fill up the entire tank with RODI, so did you mix the salt in your main tank? Maybe I misunderstood what you did... :huh:

Your local LFS should carry fairly affordable RODI water. I take it you didn't fill up the entire tank with RODI, so did you mix the salt in your main tank? Maybe I misunderstood what you did... :huh:

"Local Fish Stores" Therein lies the problem :( there's no such thing here. I'd have to drive about an hour to get to one. so even if you factor in the low cost of water, you have to add the cost of gas to it as well. No Bueno.

I filled up the tank first. Conditioned the heck out of it. Waited till the chlorine smell went away, then added all the salt and brought it up to the right temp. The tank then sat for about a week circulating before the sand and rock went in. Then another couple weeks went by before the fish and corals were brought over. All in all it was about a 3 week process with no nitrates present at the time of livestock introduction.

on a side note, I do have a RO/DI filter but the water pressure is so sucky that it takes forever. Since the first fill up, all water changes and top offs have been done with RO/DI

redkneecoral

everything is looking so good. The rockwork is pretty cool looking.

Love what you have done under the tank.

Great job

Ah, I see. It would probably be a good idea to run some phosphate removal media to compliment your refugium (I take it you're running some sort of macro algae in it) as well as Carbon or Purigen (both would be even better). Other than the TDS load, i'd be worried about heavy metals and phosphate in the water.

Archived