Innovative Marine Aquariums

PH of 7.8

32Bit_Fish

I've just set up my tank today. I added instant ocean salt. The salinity is at 1.025, PH is at 7.8

Is this a bit of low? Should I start adding lime water to raise PH?

Have the same exact problem. But yesterday my water was sitting at a perfect 8.2. :huh: Considering we both used Instant Ocean that may be the issue.

Edit: Just tested again, and I got a reading of 8.8. :eek: Maybe just a cycling issue? Or a crappy test kit? :P I guess ill just wait and find out.

I would aim for at least a pH of 8.0, there are definitely successful reefs being kept at low pH's but a stable value of at least ~8.0 is what you should try to achieve.

I would start by gradual dripping of kalk water as you stated. Do this slowly over a few weeks while testing to keep track of the values.

I will buy some Mrs. Wedge's Pickling Lime and start making some lime water.

My tank has not yet cycled, so no live stocks in it. I guess I dont need a drip system.

7.8 is fine... 8.2-8.4 is what is sought after but, as someone else said stable is more important then the ph (to a point). I dont think you will need to have a kalk drip until you have livestock and something eating up the calcium.. kalk is a balanced additive, the alk and cal are at the same levels your corals will intake it. But the trick is figuring out what your tanks needs are

Keep in mind that aerating water will change your pH. That means that simply taking the water out of the tank and putting into a testing tube or whatever can change it. I would just keep an eye on it and see what happens. My test kit has always indicated a slightly low pH and I'm doing just fine.

Wait wait wait. If your tank is still cycling you shouldn't be worrying about your PH, it won't become stable until after your cycle. A PH of 7.8 is fine during your cycle.

OClownsandNanos

Low pH is part of cycling. Mine right now is at about 7.9. Don't worry about it and don't add anything right now -- it's completely unnecessary. Let your cycle naturally progress. You should see your pH gradually increase as your cycle completes.

If somebody is unsure whether their test kit is registering the proper PH shouldn't the recommendation be to test your RO/DI water to ensure a reading of 7.0?

If somebody is unsure whether their test kit is registering the proper PH shouldn't the recommendation be to test your RO/DI water to ensure a reading of 7.0?

No

Read this: http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=8

It describes cycling. Depending on the condition of your live rock, it may take a few weeks to well over a month. You just have to keep testing your Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates to know for sure.

Thanks for the link. Does it really necessary to have the light on 8 hour a day? Especially when I left the LRs in the bag overnight, not sure if there are any living things on the rocks.

I only added about 9 lbs of rocks in my 20g tank and I may add some more.

OClownsandNanos

It's up to you. You could try for a shorter photoperiod. There's really no hard and fast rule about that part of it. However you keep it dark the whole time, it will likely lead to the death of life you might have which get nutrients from photosynthesis. I originally planned 4 hrs for all bulbs, add'l 3 hrs for actinics only. But since I want to try to cultivate any and all life on my rock right now, I've got lights on for 10 hrs a day with the daylight bulb on most of that time. I spent a pretty penny on my rock, so I'm trying to eke out everything I can from it right now. It runs the risk of a lot of algae growth, but I'm willing to take it.

pismo_reefer

7.8 is normal during a cycle....

low oxygen exchange,

and low alkalinity can be major causes of ph imbalance in cycled tanks.

7.8 is normal during a cycle....

low oxygen exchange,

and low alkalinity can be major causes of ph imbalance in cycled tanks.

I think I get a PH of 7.8 right out of the salt mix. I use RO/DI water with Instant Ocean salt mix. Instant Ocean is known to have a lower PH reading. My tap water PH is around 6.9, didn't measure PH of the RO/DI water though.

There is a small powerhead running in the tank. There are no proteim skimmer or any other filtration for this tank. I bought a Hydor Koralia 2 for the tank and will get a HOB Aquafuge medium for this tank soon. That would be my complete set up for this tank.

I will be making a DIY Kalk drip system as well. Hopefully it will keep the PH at 8.0-8.3 constant.

7.8 is in the normal range, and you should avoid chasing "perfect pH" because pH is influenced by different things like alkalinity or even the time of day. pH in a new tank can be unstable. You should not be dosing kalkwasser if you're not testing for alkalinity and calcium; moreover, you should not be dosing anything if you don't have many stony corals that will use the calcium and alkalinity levels you're paying to raise.

Read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

7.8 is in the normal range, and you should avoid chasing "perfect pH" because pH is influenced by different things like alkalinity or even the time of day. pH in a new tank can be unstable. You should not be dosing kalkwasser if you're not testing for alkalinity and calcium; moreover, you should not be dosing anything if you don't have many stony corals that will use the calcium and alkalinity levels you're paying to raise.

Read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

I thought all corals consume some calcium. They need it for the skeleton growth, no? I also thought small living animals such as a cleaner shrimp needs certain amount of calcium as well (shell growth).

I thought all corals consume some calcium. They need it for the skeleton growth, no? I also thought small living animals such as a cleaner shrimp needs certain amount of calcium as well (shell growth).

If you don't have a lot of stonys or inverts that need calcuim, your regular water changes should replenish the calcium and other elements in your water.

If you don't have a lot of stonys or inverts that need calcuim, your regular water changes should replenish the calcium and other elements in your water.

What are the corals fall in stonys category? Anything that has a skeleton like frogspawn?

What are the corals fall in stonys category? Anything that has a skeleton like frogspawn?

Yes. LPS and SPS stand for large polyp scleractinian and small polyp scleractinian, where scleractinian means "hard ray".

Archived