Cultivated Reef

Non-Photosynthetic Help

Jake42393

i need tips on Non-Photosynthetic livestock.

I want to keep them in a 10g and i havent noticed a thread with any information on keeping NPS.

If you guys can help me out as much as possible before i get myself into anything that i dont know much about, i would feel much better about it.

anything as much as a little piece of information that might help me would be great!

Thanks everyone.

sponges, tunicates, non-photosynthetic coral like sun coral, non-photosynthetic gorgs...(tons there), carnation coral (expert only, I always chickened out - :( )

most starfish too....

i need tips on Non-Photosynthetic livestock.

I want to keep them in a 10g and i havent noticed a thread with any information on keeping NPS.

If you guys can help me out as much as possible before i get myself into anything that i dont know much about, i would feel much better about it.

anything as much as a little piece of information that might help me would be great!

Thanks everyone.

Search for Uhuru's 20g NPS tank. Plenty of info there.

If you do them in a 10 gallon, I STRONGLY recommend a skimmer. I would start out with dendros and sun corals.

Search for Uhuru's 20g NPS tank. Plenty of info there.

If you do them in a 10 gallon, I STRONGLY recommend a skimmer. I would start out with dendros and sun corals.

im planning on getting a little skimmer :) thanks!

dendros + suns were my first thought of nps.

+1 to john. Many of these animals require quite a bit of care to do well long-term.

As for sun corals/dendros, I would carefully weigh the decision. They need excellent water quality and feeding them eventually becomes a pain in the a$$...

I regret buying mine, which seems to go through phases of growing/shrinking probably due to inconsistent feeding. Mine also seem to attract hair algae, and it's tough as hell to remove from between the delicate polyps.

oh i just chickened out of the carnation coral, but the rest are hard too....sometimes you just luck out and they form though. With enough feeding and water changes you can keep the filter feeders going but it is more difficult in the feeding sense....feather dusters would work by the way as well.

gorgs is where i would start, one of the members here has an awesome blueberry gorg + pipefish tank

i would do coldwater... and i was actually planning on doing it first idea for my 10g..

but as i hear that its illegal to take from any beach in california.. its kind of scary..

itd be really hard to find the things i want.. If i lived in oregon, this would be a totally different story..

Yeah i talked to Jamie a while ago back.. so lucky... if only CA allowed it.. i mean i suppose i could read up on the rules of it, and get around taking some stuff...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived