Innovative Marine Aquariums

Acropora1981's 28g Box of Underwater Awesome

acropora1981

acropora1981

In the 8 days that the new skimmer has been running algae growth has almost completely stopped. I haven't cleaned the glas in 6 days and I can still see into my tank :D Fantastic skimmer. Absolutely fantastic. Now I just need to make it less....in the middle of my tank. I would really like to get this thing setup on the back of the aquarium. It seems to use metric fitting sizes making modification difficult.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
acropora1981

Well over the last 2 months those nice acros that I had bought had all browned out. Now they are very rapidly regaining their color :D My blue mushrooms seem quite unhappy though? I think they are not fans of the low nitrate environement. I'm thinking about trading them in tomorrow...

acropora1981

New FTS:

I got those new SPS frags, but unfortunately they seem to be falling apart... I've contacted the dude about it so we'll see what happens. I've never lost corals on this scale before. Strange.

post-46829-1269729856_thumb.jpg

post-46829-1269729908_thumb.jpg

acropora1981

So the gentlemen has been nice enough to offer to replace the frags that didn't make it :D

Saweeet. My buddy TJ also just broke down his tank so he is going to give me his orange plate coral, a frag of his duncan and I think a few other little bits and peices.

acropora1981
Very nice pieces in your tank. The acans and rics are pretty awesome

thanks!

Love those rics!!! Nice zoo's too!!! Trading?

Yes? I'm all the way up in Toronto though lol. I've got some purple deaths for trade/sale now because I have over 35 of them...

acropora1981

Changed out my MH bulb today to a Phoenix 14k... so much better!!! Wow! I can't wait till its broken in! It looks so great. I'll take pics when I get a chance. I am officially out of space lol.

acropora1981

or you're nuclears would look great next to my pd's ;)

Holy flatworms batman!!! This is part of my flatworm colony :S sucked em out into a brine shrimp net. Die bastards!

post-46829-1270661924_thumb.jpg

Perhaps in about 6 months, I can send you half my Nuclear Greens and you can send me half of your PD's. That way we both win!

acropora1981

also, I threw together this little freshwater aquarium with the old 16 gallon that I upgraded from:

DSCI0565.jpg?t=1270923110

acropora1981
Freshwater? Thats so 1981.. haha just kiddin.. looks good! You need some cherry shrimp!

You know whats really funny about this comment? I bought some, and they got EATEN! I mean QUICK. Like...6 hours and all 6 of them were GONZO. My fish are so used to getting live food that they just attacked the poor little cherries. I was kinda pissed too, those things were like 3 bucks each!

acropora1981
You're gonna have problems with that cap shading out things below.

Looks great now thoough!

You're probably right, but its hard to tell in the pic - there's actually about 2-3 inches of space between the front lip of the cap. and the rock pile in front of it where the acro's are so it will need to grow substantially before it becomes a problem. and at that point I will likely just cut the peice transversely, and glue another slab to the back of the tank again!

acropora1981

Its been a while since I've done a full overview of the tanks equipment and husbandry methods, so I figured I'd post an updated report here.

28G JBJ Nanocube

Return Pump - Stock 295 gph pump, only 1, no wave maker

Circ - Koralia Nano (original)

ATO

Heating/Cooling - hydor theo heater, Coralife fan, on Medusa Dual Stage Temperature Controller

Lighting -Coralife clamp lamp w/150W Phoenix 14k bulb

Filtration - Deltec MCE300 protein skimmer, refugium in back chamber on 18W PC using Chaeto, Seachem Purigen (100 ml bag), 2 tablespoons phosban replaced monthly

Water Changes - 5 gallons, every 3 weeks, tropic marin salt

Vodka Addition - 4 drops per day

Trace - Easylife Maxicoral A and B, added once per week by hand

Calcium - Calcium Chloride, added once per week by hand, tropic marin bio calcium-1-2 scoops, midweek.

KH - Brightwell KH buffer, dosed automatically via ATO

magnesium - 10 ml per week, Kent liquid Magnesium.

Feeding - Manual feeding of LPS whenever I feel like it with Mysis, rotifers 1-2x per week, coral amino supplement 2-3x per week(brightwell, 4 drops), oyster milt 1-2x per week

Total estimated average time per day, 8-10 minutes (and I enjoy every minute of it!)

acropora1981
any new FTS?

I would really like to post a nice new FTS but I have 2 problems. Firstly, my new camera is much harder to work than my old camera. I CANNOT get it to take a decent freakin FTS, despite it having 3x the megapixels.

Second problem; the upgrade to the Phoenix 14K has caused my corals to be a bit freaked out, no real issue, no bleaching, they just arent fully adapted yet, and so they aren't yet opening fully. Another week or so and they should be looking good (or better than ever?) again. I'll see how things look once I get back home in a few days (I've been at my girlfriends place a lot lately). The most recent FTS is from April 9th I think? Thats fairly recent... it looks basically like that now lol

acropora1981
sweet duncans clam and acans. your tank is awesome, you should find out how to get your cap to have more layers though. u know?

haha totally. I could probably cut it into like 5 strips and mount each one individually....but honestly; who has the time ? ;) Not me! I'm lucky to see my tank 3 or 4 days a week, and I really only get to work on it once a week for any real length of time.

acropora1981

I'd really love to post a new FTS...but my corals are really taking their time adapting to Phoenix 14K. My hammer is absolutely beside itself with hatred for the new light.

Archived