Coral Vue Hydros

Chesapeake Bay Biotype Ideas

ReeferTJ

I live on the Chesapeake Bay and i desided that i was going to make a 10 gallon biotype.

I all ready have some empty barnicles about 1 inch wide ,and 3 open oyster shells. Also I've also have a naked goby about 1.4in. long. But, other than that its empty.

All ideas welcome

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the ubiquitous blue crab? Hardy and tons of personality. Also, available live at pretty much anywhere that sells seafood. Though it'll eat anything else you put in there, I don't think you can really fit much in a 10 gallon anyway.

That's easy -- just dump a bunch of fertiziler/construction/paving/sediment run-off into it. then fill it with a bunch of hair algae. it'll look just like the chesapeake bay! :D

How about the ubiquitous blue crab? Hardy and tons of personality. Also, available live at pretty much anywhere that sells seafood. Though it'll eat anything else you put in there, I don't think you can really fit much in a 10 gallon anyway.

There are TONS of small gobies and other fish that would be appropriate, anemones and hardy gorgonians. Much better choices, and lots of them, in the Bay.

The only thing in that thread actually local to New York are the anemones. All the others are tropicals swept up by the Gulf Stream to die in winter. The tropicals in that thread aren't found in the Bay in the summer either, except at the mouth, as they're not tolerant of the relatively fresh water of the Bay.

Guess no one else here read "Chadwick the Crab" when they were in elementary school featuring such lovable favorites as Toulouse the Goose and Orville the Oyster.

• 4 weeks later...
I live on the Chesapeake Bay and i desided that i was going to make a 10 gallon biotype.

I all ready have some empty barnicles about 1 inch wide ,and 3 open oyster shells. Also I've also have a naked goby about 1.4in. long. But, other than that its empty.

All ideas welcome

Thanks.

How about a heron and an osprey? JK

Here are some ideas, but I don't know how you would go about setting the tank up:

For fish you could have any of the following:

striped blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus)

feather blenny (Hypsoblennius hentz)

naked goby (Gobiosoma bosci)

seaboard goby (Gobiosoma ginsburgi)

green goby (Microgobius thalassinus)

Lined seahorse

Northern puffer (probably gets too big)

You could do:

an oyster reef

OR

barnacles

redbeard sponge (get 8" X 12")

boring sponge

ghost anemone

sea squirt

Clean-up crew:

try to find a small blue crab

horseshoe crab

fiddler crab

hermit crabs

black-fing mud crab

marsh periwinkle

arks

atlantic oyster drill

zebra mussel

clam

Chesapeake Inverts:

mantis shrimp

grass shrimp

OR

a comb jelly tank would be cool

OR

an underwater bay grass tidal marsh: http://www.chesapeakebay.net/shallow.htm

http://cte.jhu.edu/techacademy/web/2000/healy/wqtemp.html

I recommend that you look up when some really low tides will happen, and then go to a few places at low tide, roll over some rocks, see what lives there, and take some pictures (always put the rocks back, oriented the same way). Then go do some homework and learn about anything that you saw that looks cool enough to keep in your tank. Get an idea of what the animal's requirements are, and what might be compatible with what. Then when your tank is set up and cycled, go back and catch some of the things you've decided to target.

BTW - be sure that collecting is legal in the spots you try, and that you have a fishing license or whatever if you need one.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I didnt no so much was in the bay as in Marine1's post. Ill have to look more next time im sailing in the bay. Always catch a skate haha. Or I saw a lot of small needle fish swimming in between the docks.

• 4 months later...

Archived