Top Shelf Aquatics

A Better Way to Kill Red Slime

KMitch

tl;dr...

JK! Good read. I have yet to have a "serious" battle with cyano other than a patch here or there or in a low flow section of my sump.

Now Dinoflagellates yes, and man did that suck.

You should post a writeup for them also.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2.5 week old Biocube 29 HQI and today I noticed just a few small patches of red slime on my sand and LR. I sucked it up with a syringe and that was that. Then I was looking into my fuge (the 2nd chamber in the back) where I have 1 piece of LR and some chaeto. and I noticed about a silver dollar size thick health chuck of the red stuff. To be honest I really didnt know what to do. I removed the rock and put it in a bucket of salt water where I scrubbed it with a tooth brush and then put it in another bucket of salt water where I proceeded to shake the crap out of it. I then returned it back to the fuge. Now my question is do you think that was a good enough cleaning to help prevent that in the future or do you think there will still be some stuff left on the LR and it will just grow back. Now before you start telling me why this happened and what to do I really just want to know if I went about cleaning my LR right. But onto the other stuff you guys want to talk about. Yes i probably have been leaving my fuge light on to long (off during the day on at night...approx 12 hours total from 6pm to 6am) How long should I have the fuge light on for? Second, I think maybe it is a flow issue because I have the stock pump along with the stock Oceanic Biocube charcoal filter on top of the fuge chamber (where it is designed to go but also at the same time I think it slows down the flow threw there). Please let me know what you guys think. Also do you think the red slime from in my tank was coming from the same patch in my fuge. Please help. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Billdemart

Trying this stuff now. I've tried everything to get rid of this crap and nothing has worked. Dosing the first time today although I'll be out of town for the next 5 days so not sure if I should just wait.

I've used the Red Slime remover in my 95 gallon several times and it does kill it off, but like everyone said it just comes back because it's not eliminating the cause. I've also noticed absolutely no Red Slime in my 24 and 12 gallon, until recently and I was wondering why I had a small patch here and there.

As some of you know I do the small daily water and a single large water change once a week on my nano's. I've had great success with the process, but the red slime caught me a little off guard. Keep in mind that it's very little, but I don't want even a speck of it:) So I ran into one of my reefer buddies at the LFS yesterday and he tested the RO/DI water I've been getting from my LFS. It was picking up .25 phosphates with a 32 TDI reading. In other words, I was getting local tap water because the membranes in their systems are exhausted. I went to my buddies house who has his own RO/DI unit with a electronic meter hooked up to it. Now I have access to clean RO/DI water and I plan on getting my own setup in the next month.

I didn't think of checking the source of my RO/DI water because I thought the LFS would keep up with their filter and media changes. Unfortunately, I was wrong and I would recommend to test your water source every once and a while or team up with an OCD reefer who likes doing everything themselves.haha I'll let you know how things progress, but daily water changes has kept my nano's Red slime free up until a few weeks ago. Hopefully using the clean RO/DI water will also cure my 95 gallon, but I have a feeling it's my tangs and the amount of food and poo they create. Damn bioloads, but I'm so attached to the damn things that I can't get rid of them..haha That and I already gave away my 3 year old son's clownfish Frank after getting a new pair and he freaked out. I now have to ask my son permission to find new homes for our fish and corals:) Just some food for thought.

lacosteboii007

I had the same problem in my BC 29. All i did was put a phosban and chemipure elite in my system, and got rid of it!

Archived