Pod Your Reef

frogfish

Klink67

animalmaster6
My frogfish came in and has been acclimating for an hour. It is fuzzy green with white blotches and it is about 1.5in. long. This fish is really cool! I like how it walks around with its fins. Blue Zoo Aquatics does an amazing job at shipping there animals!

Thanks

congrats!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Klink67

• Stumped

• hayseed777

• nemmy

My frogfish came in and has been acclimating for an hour. It is fuzzy green with white blotches and it is about 1.5in. long. This fish is really cool! I like how it walks around with its fins. Blue Zoo Aquatics does an amazing job at shipping there animals!

Thanks

Awesome! Just heed what wheetie said. 2-3 times a week. No more. I've overfed an angler to death. I'm still upset about it years later. They're really awesome pets though.

Congrats and good luck with the new angler. Try to nail down what species it is so you can plan accordingly for the future. I'm kind of divided on the space issue, but my warty seems to like exploring/stalking daily in the rock work. Any of the non dwarf species will definetly not be happy in a 12G and even a 29G would be restrictive. Different species have different growth rates.

Congrats and good luck with the new angler. Try to nail down what species it is so you can plan accordingly for the future. I'm kind of divided on the space issue, but my warty seems to like exploring/stalking daily in the rock work. Any of the non dwarf species will definetly not be happy in a 12G and even a 29G would be restrictive. Different species have different growth rates.

I would feel bad putting it in anything less than 100+ gallon tank. A max size of 8+ inches on the one he ordered will only be able to do 360's in a 12-29 gallon tank. Rock work will make it even more of a pain to move. Not to mention it's in a 5.5 gallon right now.

Klink did u ever get your nitrates down? Did you take everyone suggestions about switching to rodi water instead of tap water?

I have started using ro water and my nitrates are down to 5ppm. All of my coralis growing rapidly in the tank so that is why I wanted an ap12. The frogfish is doing great and it already started a angling.

I will see if the damsel is still there in the morning. As I have said before I will adjust my tank size to the fishes needs.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!!

I either have a spotfin or a freckled frogfish. Both of these get to be around 10 cm which is about the size of a wartskin. So I think my frogfish should be fine in the ap12.

Does it take a long time for them to start eating? My frogfish still hasn't eatin the damsel yet.

I either have a spotfin or a freckled frogfish. Both of these get to be around 10 cm which is about the size of a wartskin. So I think my frogfish should be fine in the ap12.

Does it take a long time for them to start eating? My frogfish still hasn't eatin the damsel yet.

Should be fine if your frogfish is indeed either one of those. The only way you can be 100% sure is to identify them based on their lure (and a few other distinct characteristics depending on the species). Anyway, he should be eating right away. Is he shaking his lure? or showing interest to the damsel? Like someone said try offering ghost shrimp. FWIW a 1" damsel shouldn't be too large for a 1.5" frogfish.

It still hasnt eatin anything yet. I have tried pieces of raw shrimp and the damsel that is still in the tank. It will be a few days until I can get ghost shrimp. Should I just wait for my frogfish to eat the damsel? It has showed interest in it but it hasnt used its lure since the day I recieved it. How long can they go without eating? I am going to call bluezoo and find out what they were feeding him.

Thanks

It also has camoflouged itself to the live rock so I think it has adjusted to my tank.

It still hasnt eatin anything yet. I have tried pieces of raw shrimp and the damsel that is still in the tank. It will be a few days until I can get ghost shrimp. Should I just wait for my frogfish to eat the damsel? It has showed interest in it but it hasnt used its lure since the day I recieved it. How long can they go without eating? I am going to call bluezoo and find out what they were feeding him.

Thanks

It also has camoflouged itself to the live rock so I think it has adjusted to my tank.

Well as I said, there's probably no chance he'll take to frozen right away (or perhaps ever) so that isn't much of a concern. What method are you using to try and feed the frozen prawn? Ultimately, it isn't really a great sign that he hasn't attempted to lure or eat the damsel yet. He's only in a 5g tank so the damsel should be in his face a ton and easily catchable for him. I mean it's still only been 3 days, but I'd definitely keep an eye on him and get in touch with BZ ASAP to see what they were feeding him.

Edited by Stumped

I contacted bluezoo and they told me he was eating live brine shrimp. They also said that in the wild anglers will eat only once a week so I should worry about him not eating. They also said that the damsel is to big for him.

I am going to try ghost shrimp. I don't mind feeding live food but it has to be fish, my lfs charges 0.50/ ghost shrimp. I am using the fishing line method were I attach a piece of shrimp to some fishing line and jerk it near it's face.

Thanks

I contacted bluezoo and they told me he was eating live brine shrimp. They also said that in the wild anglers will eat only once a week so I should worry about him not eating. They also said that the damsel is to big for him.

I am going to try ghost shrimp. I don't mind feeding live food but it has to be fish, my lfs charges 0.50/ ghost shrimp. I am using the fishing line method were I attach a piece of shrimp to some fishing line and jerk it near it's face.

Thanks

Your statement about wild anglers only eating once a week is a bit misleading. In terms of not eating for a one week period, it's not unnatural for that to occur (especially after a large meal), but not based so much on their lack of desire to eat, but rather on food availability and any sort of binge/fast eating habits they might have. What I would actually worry about is the fact he isn't showing any luring behaviour of interest in eating the damsel. Definitely get some ghost shrimp and/or live brine shrimp to see if you can get him eating at all. If he's still not eating after you try those alternative foods, I'd definitely start getting worried.

Also, I don't understand your comment about your LFS charging 0.50/ghost shrimp. Are you implying they're expensive at that price? 50 cents per shrimp is super cheap. I only wish I could get mine close to that price. What sort of fish were you planning on feeding?

Edited by Stumped

Pay the $.50 for the ghost shrimp and order a bunch of live ones online for future feeding. If $.50 a shrimp or online ordering isn't sustainable for you, you need to start looking for a new home for your angler. Do NOT feed him any freshwater feeders, no matter what the LFS tells you.

I am going to get some ghost shrimp today. I can feed ghost shrimp and mollies to it until it eats frozen. I am not giving up on it and I will set up a bait bucket to keep the feeders in today. My lionfish only ate ghost shrimp at first to until I got him on frozen so it should be the same.

Thanks

Is there any cheap place online for feeders? I dont want to pay $35 for shipping just for feeders.

Is there any cheap place online for feeders? I dont want to pay $35 for shipping just for feeders.

Like I said in my most recent post. It seems that you are implying $0.50 per shrimp is expensive for live ghost shrimp. That is a very cheap price, especially considering you don't have to pay shipping because they're from a local LFS. If you factor shipping into the equation I'm not aware of any place that would work out to less than $0.50 per shrimp. The smart thing to do, would be to talk to your LFS and negotiate a better rate for them when you buy in bulk. If you're willing to buy 50-100 shrimp at a time you shouldn't be paying their retail price.

Feeding 1-3 ghost shrimp each feeding (depending on their size and the size of your frogfish) on a schedule of 3x per week = $1.50-4.50 per week. The cheapest you can regularly find damsels/chromis I would imagine would be something in the range of $2-3. Considering the real possibility your frogfish will not accept frozen, that would work out to something in the $4-6 range per week to feed your frogfish. If that works out to more than you are willing to spend, I would seriously suggest frogfish and similar predators are not really a type of fish you should try keeping long term.

Edited by Stumped

Shipping is going to be the same unless you find a place local. 50c/shrimp is cheap when you factor in shipping. I got 100 shrimp for $75 shipped. I have a 20g tank set up just for them.

You should see if they will give you a discount for bulk orders of ghost shrimp at your LFS. at .50 a pop though 100 ghost shrimp will only run you $50, that's a lot less than a dead angler and at 3 shrimp a week will last you 8 months. Setup a 20g and throw them in there.

My lfs was out of ghost shrimp!

I am considering getting some shore shrimp.

The good news is it ate!! I fed it some small feeder guppies and it ate all 5 of them. I have a bucket with aerator set up to hold the guppies in, I also have started feeding marine S food to the guppies to gutload them. The guppies are only temporary until I can get some ghost shrimp. I will also try to find some really small damsels/cromis.

Post a pic of this frog fish please....thinking about getting one if I can find a small species - think a wartskin and a pair of large seahorses could co-exist in a jbj 28g nano?

I would just keep an angler by itself. I can honestly say that my frogfish is the best fish I have ever owned!

I think a frogfish would be perfect for your tank. Just make sure you have a 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon bucket set with an aerator for feeder fish/shrimp.

Also I dont have my camera but most anglers will look different because they camoflouge themselves.

The seahorses could work but if you have a big frogfish it will try to eat it. The frogfish would be enough to look at by itself anways.

Post a pic of this frog fish please....thinking about getting one if I can find a small species - think a wartskin and a pair of large seahorses could co-exist in a jbj 28g nano?

A frogfish will eat anything it can fit in their mouth. If you want a frogfish put it in a species only tank.