Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

47 Column Mixed Reef

aaron1987

Yeah, the further I look into this whole flow in a cube thing the more I wanna evict my freshwater planted inhabitants and steal their 75. This whole hobby is revolved around long rectangles. Its frustrating. The best flow for our tanks involves about 10 low power propellers. Not ideal to say the least!

All and all, im glad to see you continuing on though! Keep pluggin, itll turn out in the end! Just remember we could be banging our heads against the mj wall of a decade ago, so we should stop complaining!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like yer rawks!

Thanks! I'll like them better when every inch is covered in coral ;)

Yeah, the further I look into this whole flow in a cube thing the more I wanna evict my freshwater planted inhabitants and steal their 75. This whole hobby is revolved around long rectangles. Its frustrating. The best flow for our tanks involves about 10 low power propellers. Not ideal to say the least!

All and all, im glad to see you continuing on though! Keep pluggin, itll turn out in the end! Just remember we could be banging our heads against the mj wall of a decade ago, so we should stop complaining!

I was starting to think I'd just quit my job and stir my aquarium with my hand for flow :P

I was starting to think I'd just quit my job and stir my aquarium with my hand for flow :P

Dude, thats my job! Since ive been off work for the last year with my back, my wife says I get paid too much to play fishy tank! lol

Dude, thats my job! Since ive been off work for the last year with my back, my wife says I get paid too much to play fishy tank! lol

I wonder if I can throw my back out from using Excel and Visio too much... ;)

Nitrite is still hovering around .5 PPM. I'm annoyed. Longest cycle ever. Plus I just saw that LA is now offering free shipping on orders over $225! Score! Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Hey, let me know what you think of using them please. Ive been thinkin about it but im just not a fan of ordering online...I like to see what im buyin and not through smoke and mirrors nawmean?

Hey, let me know what you think of using them please. Ive been thinkin about it but im just not a fan of ordering online...I like to see what im buyin and not through smoke and mirrors nawmean?

I've used Vivid repeatedly for livestock orders and have never been anything but impressed with the quality of their livestock and customer service. If you call them, they'll be able to tell you specifically what they've got and the employees have fragged things from their personal tanks for me! All their livestock is quarantined and comes with a 15 day guarantee.

I've used Vivid repeatedly for livestock orders and have never been anything but impressed with the quality of their livestock and customer service. If you call them, they'll be able to tell you specifically what they've got and the employees have fragged things from their personal tanks for me! All their livestock is quarantined and comes with a 15 day guarantee.

Yea I really like VIVID so ive been looking for that exact tank what kind is it and where did you get it. I keep getting told that i can only go custom on that size height.... ugh i just found the answer in the first page.... dang

Yea I really like VIVID so ive been looking for that exact tank what kind is it and where did you get it. I keep getting told that i can only go custom on that size height.... ugh i just found the answer in the first page.... dang

Glad you found the answer you were looking for. Bummer it's a discontinued model, I get a lot of people asking where they can get one...

Sweet, how do you feel their pricing is? I mean after shipping, does it still make sense over buying locally from club members?

Another mini spike in nitrite for my tank... delayed my order with Vivid until mid-next week and I have some Dr. Tim's being overnighted to me. I've heard good things so I'm gonna put it to the test and see what happens!

Sweet, how do you feel their pricing is? I mean after shipping, does it still make sense over buying locally from club members?

I get my fish 100% from LA and Vivid. Vivid is a pretty universally a good deal on fish prices. I prefer to go local for corals from a cost perspective but I have ordered and received high quality coral from Vivid... in fact my order includes a Dendro (oops, cat's out of the bag!) this time. I buy in lots >$225 to get free shipping. I'm not a fan of paying for shipping.

Hey Aaron, hopefully you arent planning to keep that Flasher Wrasse in your avitar with a jawfish. If you are I will tell on you to JaneG.

Hahaha that flasher wrasse was in with my BSJ for months until he carpet surfed. Probably because of the principle of the matter... and damnit, he just didn't belong in a 47g aquarium without a harem!

Hahaha that flasher wrasse was in with my BSJ for months until he carpet surfed. Probably because of the principle of the matter... and damnit, he just didn't belong in a 47g aquarium without a harem!

HELL NO HE DIDN'T!

What is that scar from? Sweet start to the tank by the way, 47 Columns are very under rated.

If I knew, I would never put it in my aquarium again... ;) I brushed something doing tank maintenance and it lit my world on fire. Was in the vicinity of my SPS.

I have made a last minute decision to pick up a lease in a different place. I can assume it immediately so the question is whether I break the tank down now and set it up in the new digs tomorrow or keep it in my current place through October and move it once it has fish in it. I know which is easier, but I worry about cycling if I break it down now and move it... my Vivid order is due in next Wed. Any input?

MP40 upgrade kit arrives Monday!

Still torn on whether I move the thing on Monday, nail it with some Dr. Tim's and pray for decent parameters by Wednesday or delay the move for a couple weeks. I feel like there's a bit of risk either way.

Hey Aaron, hopefully you arent planning to keep that Flasher Wrasse in your avitar with a jawfish. If you are I will tell on you to JaneG.
Another mini spike in nitrite for my tank... delayed my order with Vivid until mid-next week and I have some Dr. Tim's being overnighted to me. I've heard good things so I'm gonna put it to the test and see what happens!

I get my fish 100% from LA and Vivid. Vivid is a pretty universally a good deal on fish prices. I prefer to go local for corals from a cost perspective but I have ordered and received high quality coral from Vivid... in fact my order includes a Dendro (oops, cat's out of the bag!) this time. I buy in lots >$225 to get free shipping. I'm not a fan of paying for shipping.

HELL NO HE DIDN'T!

I know this is your build thread...but it's really immature for both of you to post about me when we had unofficially decided to let this go the day before you posted this (which I found just randomly looking at tanks...weird). However, again, if we're going to reference Fenner...well, even on the "care guide" for flashers he says:

These fishes are hardier than they appear, most are bumped off by jumping out, being kept improperly; as lone males (they live in harems in the wild), with not-peaceful-enough tankmates, without adequate habitat, or sufficient "planktonic" food.

He has also made mention of them living a shorter lifespan without females. I'd really rather you just not talk to or about me - agree to disagree on fishkeeping practices and let it go. For all I know, you could be right about everything - I don't care...please don't even bother responding to this post (I know you will though) - I don't want to get anything started again so I won't if you do, but at the same time I won't just let someone mock/gossip about me... -_- Your tank looks nice, by the way...

Jane

First off, wow, I gotta keep better tabs on the gossip!

I would move the tank if that is the end goal. If you cant have your order delayed is it possible to have someone babysit? Maybe try the local club. Im sure you have one and most like minded folks would be understanding of this situation and pull through for a fellow reefer. Maybe leave a piece behind for their trouble...if not, hope your order isnt anything irreplaceable. Im guessing since youve been seeing nitrite spikes, youll have issues anyways so it may not matter either way. Im sure as an expierienced reefer youll be able to get them to pull through but I wouldnt expect such a young tank barely, if at all, through its cycle to make corals too happy. Probably a 50/50 shot, your not new to that feeling! lol

First off, wow, I gotta keep better tabs on the gossip!

I would move the tank if that is the end goal. If you cant have your order delayed is it possible to have someone babysit? Maybe try the local club. Im sure you have one and most like minded folks would be understanding of this situation and pull through for a fellow reefer. Maybe leave a piece behind for their trouble...if not, hope your order isnt anything irreplaceable. Im guessing since youve been seeing nitrite spikes, youll have issues anyways so it may not matter either way. Im sure as an expierienced reefer youll be able to get them to pull through but I wouldnt expect such a young tank barely, if at all, through its cycle to make corals too happy. Probably a 50/50 shot, your not new to that feeling! lol

The Dendro is probably ending up in my quarantine tank until I'm satisfied that my parameters in the column have stabilized. I'll be calling Vivid again today to push the shipping date to Thursday for Friday arrival - should give me enough time to get everything moved. I'm less worried about a little bacteria die-off from the move than I am not being completed with my cycle. The former is nothing a couple water changes can't fix, the latter.... well I know a couple people that wouldn't object to housing my order :)

The Dendro is probably ending up in my quarantine tank until I'm satisfied that my parameters in the column have stabilized. I'll be calling Vivid again today to push the shipping date to Thursday for Friday arrival - should give me enough time to get everything moved. I'm less worried about a little bacteria die-off from the move than I am not being completed with my cycle. The former is nothing a couple water changes can't fix, the latter.... well I know a couple people that wouldn't object to housing my order :)

Order delayed until Tuesday of next week. Looks like I'll have an exciting week of moving the aquarium around the most awful work week ever. When it rains, it pours!

Good luck with the move, I've made 4 with my tank in the last 3 years (that's the navy life for you though!), it's really not too bad.

Archived