Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

WTF is wrong with my water!

jordankj

Well today when i woke up i saw my new clownfish i bought laying on the sand dead and my BTA all closed up.I tested my water and everything seems fine,here are my params.

Nitrite-0ppm

Nitrate-0ppm

PH-8.0

Ammonia-.25ppm

SG-1.024

Temp-79*

And about a week before my yellow tang and tomato clown died so i did a 5g water change with fresh RO/DI water.Is my ammonia too high?How can i lower it?I also have recent outbreak of dinoflagellates,could that cause a problem? I have a convict goby in here and he seems to be doing fine and so does my coral banded shrimp and my corals.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should have NO ammonia.

You need to get to the root of what is causing the ammonia and get that straightened out before adding anything else to this tank.

My test kits are fairly new,they are the API test kits.Could uneaten frozen food cause ammonia in the tank?

Alright, back up.

How big is the tank?

its a 56g column tank.

Uneaten frozen food could def cause ammonia.

How good is your CUC (cleanup crew)?

They should be taking care of stuff like that, unless you're really dumping a good bit of food in there.

Overfeeding could def be a culprit as well.

How much and how often do you feed?

im not sure what the exact amount of live rock is,but here is an old pic of it when my tang and clown were alive,yes thats cheato in the back of the tank,i have it there till i get an ac110 and make it into a fuge.

DSC01986.jpg

Uneaten frozen food could def cause ammonia.

How good is your CUC (cleanup crew)?

They should be taking care of stuff like that, unless you're really dumping a good bit of food in there.

Overfeeding could def be a culprit as well.

How much and how often do you feed?

well some of my cuc died off so right now i just have a like 3 hermits like 2 nassarius snails and one turbo.I was thinking about getting an emerald

ummm i see a nozzle for a fluval canister filter......that might be where ur ammonia is coming from and what are your nitrates running???

canister filter+ reef tank = nitrate bomb and sludge that breaks down in it can cause sudden ammonia peaks

dang, good eye rockfish.

how often do you change the floss and carbon in the canister?

like once a week,and yea i know now after i bought it that canisters are not so great for reef tanks,but i was misinformed and already spent 220 on it =[

Deleted User 6

once a week should be fine. if you let it go for a long time then change it, you may cause a mini-cycle. what's the longest you ever left floss in there?

canister filters are fine if you keep up with changing the media. if you don't, they're a death trap.

once a week should be fine. if you let it go for a long time then change it, you may cause a mini-cycle. what's the longest you ever left floss in there?

canister filters are fine if you keep up with changing the media. if you don't, they're a death trap.

longest ive had it in there was like 2 weeks.

Deleted User 6

had you changed the floss/carbon or made any other changes right before the fish died?

and back to weetie's ?, how often/how much do you feed? also, you need more CUC members for sure in that sized tank.

i feed once a day,and frozen food every other day and pellets on the other.yea im about to go buy some more CUC,should i get more hermits or more snails? also should i get me an emerald crab? Also i have been getting brown algae on my glass recently,could this cause problems too?

Deleted User 6

snails only right now - ceriths, astreas, and maybe a couple nass. do you rinse the frozen food with RO/DI? do you see a lot of food go uneaten?

Deleted User 6

I've never heard of copper killing bacteria (doesn't mean it didn't happen), but it would kill every invert in the tank which could cause a spike, especially if it took out a large pod population.

snails only right now - ceriths, astreas, and maybe a couple nass. do you rinse the frozen food with RO/DI? do you see a lot of food go uneaten?

i have a couple nass in the tank now,guess ill get some ceriths.I just get a bowl of the tank water and put the frozen cube in it,then i spot feed with a turkey baster.

I've never heard of copper killing bacteria (doesn't mean it didn't happen), but it would kill every invert in the tank which could cause a spike, especially if it took out a large pod population.

Either way ive read that its not reef safe. It says it also combats "bacterial infections".

Just throwing that out there trying to give you a hand.

Ammonia readings with no nitrite or nitrate is weird. Would make sense that its not being put through the nitrogen cycle.

Archived