Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 10g Rimless & BB Frag Tank

PIPS

about the light, did you have to request a 20k bulb? It says it comes with a 15k

It came with the stock 15k. I live a few miles from oddysea so I purchased it from them for like $15.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey PIPS... as you know by now, I like copying you. :D Did you have to do any modding to the AC70 to get everything to fit, or simply take out the gray stock crate stuff? I have the same skimmer and am interested in imitating your design. Thanks!

Hey PIPS... as you know by now, I like copying you. :D Did you have to do any modding to the AC70 to get everything to fit, or simply take out the gray stock crate stuff? I have the same skimmer and am interested in imitating your design. Thanks!

Haha, basicly I cut up the gray basket and used the middle section to create the overflow screen and glued one of the sides with aquarium silicon. This is because I wanted the water to be forced upwards through filter floss to catch any debris, through the cheato, then overflow into the heater/skimmer section and than back into the tank. That was all I did.

Are you running a ac70 ?

Not yet... it's an old aquaclear 150 (which I believe is the AC30 now) but it is not big enough to put the skimmer in. Thanks for the information, as I'll probably pick up a AC70 tomorrow and try making it work. I did just get a new Nova Extreme 4x24, as the old one wasn't cutting it.

Not yet... it's an old aquaclear 150 (which I believe is the AC30 now) but it is not big enough to put the skimmer in. Thanks for the information, as I'll probably pick up a AC70 tomorrow and try making it work. I did just get a new Nova Extreme 4x24, as the old one wasn't cutting it.

Cool,

I want to go the T5 route on my next tank. I love the shimmer and output of the MH but the evaporation and the electricity bill combined with another MH fixture im running is becoming a major turn-off.

The evaporation on my T5 fixture is crazy too! PIPS, any pics of the frags you have in there? Also, as I'm clueless, a little walkthrough on the skimmer. Adjusting the air valve it either goes crazy on shooting bubbles up the cone or doesn't do anything. Where's the "happy medium"?

The evaporation on my T5 fixture is crazy too! PIPS, any pics of the frags you have in there? Also, as I'm clueless, a little walkthrough on the skimmer. Adjusting the air valve it either goes crazy on shooting bubbles up the cone or doesn't do anything. Where's the "happy medium"?

I am hopping to do a rather big fragging session on the weekend so I will post up pictures then.

As far as the skimmer I'll post up how i have the knob tuned in.

One thing I noticed is that

1.Give it time for a break in period

and

2. After adjusting the knob give it a 15/20 minutes to adjust to see the difference.

How you liking the skimmer ??

Very nice! I like that idea with the skimmer in the AC70, never even crossed my mind to do it that way. I have been debating on what skimmer to get so I haven't picked one out as yet.

I'm also running a modded AC70 . What heater are you running that fits in there? I got a big ole' jager 75watt.

Very nice! I like that idea with the skimmer in the AC70, never even crossed my mind to do it that way. I have been debating on what skimmer to get so I haven't picked one out as yet.

I'm also running a modded AC70 . What heater are you running that fits in there? I got a big ole' jager 75watt.

Thanks,

Im running the hydor theo 50w heater which fits perfectly in the ac70. It keeps the tank at a nice 78 degrees and I only notice it comming on during the night.

What skimmer are you thinking of and for what size tank ?

I have the Hydor 100w in mine... seems to work adequately. PIPS... I'm not sure about the skimmer as I have not yet figured it out. That makes me sound pretty bad. haha... :D Also, are you selling some zoa frags? If so, let me know what you're parting with.

I have the Hydor 100w in mine... seems to work adequately. PIPS... I'm not sure about the skimmer as I have not yet figured it out. That makes me sound pretty bad. haha... :D Also, are you selling some zoa frags? If so, let me know what you're parting with.

I'll take a picture with my phone when I get home.

And i'll probably wont have anything for sale for a few weeks but by looking at your tank the question is are you up for a trade ??

I just started a 10 gal rimless frag tank as well, just curiuos why you guys don't remove the black trim on the bottom of the tank? cosmetics or scared to take it all off? (lol)

Thanks,

Im running the hydor theo 50w heater which fits perfectly in the ac70. It keeps the tank at a nice 78 degrees and I only notice it comming on during the night.

What skimmer are you thinking of and for what size tank ?

Ohhh ok cool. Maybe ill look into one of those in the future. The jager doesn't bother me and might come in handy later when I upgrade again.

I was browsing for small skimmers. I came across the Current HOB nano skimmer and it had pretty good reviews. I just checked out the skimmer you have the aquaticlife and it also has good reviews.

The tank I have is a 30 gallon long.

I'll take a picture with my phone when I get home.

And i'll probably wont have anything for sale for a few weeks but by looking at your tank the question is are you up for a trade ??

Looking forward to it... and what are you interested in?

Looking forward to it... and what are you interested in?

Im a zoa/paly dude...What you got ??

And here is how I have my skimmer dialed.

In it took like 2 weeks for it to break-in to a point where I knew exatcly how it performs.

IMG_3166.jpg

At this position im getting a nice dry foam, hopefully its work for you as it does for me.

And step your game up and update your thread :P

EDIT: Im sleepy as #### and my sentences/spelling is mumbo jumbo'ed lol!!

I just started a 10 gal rimless frag tank as well, just curiuos why you guys don't remove the black trim on the bottom of the tank? cosmetics or scared to take it all off? (lol)

I didnt remove the bottom for a few reasons.

Mainly because I felt uncomfortable removing the bottom thinking that the glass might "give out" at some point with the added pressure/weight. Its just not sturdy enough imo.

Also with the legs of the light fixture sitting on the top it looks good with the bottom trim.

Ohhh ok cool. Maybe ill look into one of those in the future. The jager doesn't bother me and might come in handy later when I upgrade again.

I was browsing for small skimmers. I came across the Current HOB nano skimmer and it had pretty good reviews. I just checked out the skimmer you have the aquaticlife and it also has good reviews.

The tank I have is a 30 gallon long.

Are you looking for in-tank or HOB ?

If you are looking for a HOB skimmer then go with the Ramora Nano and ditch the Current Skimmer as all I hear is praisal from the Ramora owners. If in-tank then go with the Tunze 9002 skimmer as its very favorable in a nano.

With that being said, imo skimmers are the biggest rip-offs in our hobby and I just so happen to luck out on craigslist with mine.

And for my application its working like a charm, no complaints so far.

Good luck !!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm thinking of doing a ten gallon frag tank too. What kind skimmer are you running and don't you think it's a bit of an overkill. I'm guessing you're running T5's? Will the Current USA Nova Extreme T5's be sufficient on this tank to grow all corals?

Archived