inTank Media Baskets

JTumbleweeds 58 gallon Clams/SPS

youincolor

Well....I just moved actually. Everything is doing fairly well.

I have recently become unhappy with just about everything I have been doing in my tank. I am starting to think about going to LPS or something, to cut down on the dosing. Parameters are ####ed... I need to unload these clams first and see if that helps maybe.

Who knows dude, who knows...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would keep the clams, their hardy. I have a clam in my 75 and the nitrates are 20ppm. And its growing fast. The nitrates won't be that high for long because i'm going to get a bigger skimmer. My SPS are not too happy right now but my LPS are happy.

I just meant my cal and alk are all over the place. I haven't had nitrates in years. I think I would need to dose 200 ml of alk and maybe 150 ml of cal a day, and I don't even know if that would keep the levels up. I need to work on it but with a new baby it's hard to keep on it.

Yeah maybe. I'm thinking about going back to my 40br again and do sea grasses and macro algae and weird stuff like that. Maybe some LPS and zoas and stuff. I'm just tired of dosing, and I'm kind of sick of SPS in general.

I can't really decide though. I don't really want to get rid of my fish either, but they would look like a hodgepodge assortment in a low flow sea grass style tank. Hmm...

Quick snap of the tank after the move:

DSC_0089-2.jpg

I'm seriously considering going in a different direction soon.

Your tank still looks good. :)

Thanks a lot.

I'm thinking about a new plan. 50 lbs Marco rock, cycled for a month or more with some new fully cured live rock. Then switching back into my 40br after I drill it for an overflow and one return, with a new t5 fixture. Clean out my sump entirely, especially the disgusting refugium, get a proper light, and keep cheato only. Sell off most of my corals, all of the clams, keep a few frags of some sps, a few other pieces, keep some of the fish, and just start fresh. Only add pieces I know I want, and let it grow.

After three years with the same crappy tiny rocks and some pieces of coral that I would never buy now, I want to start over with a new understanding of coral placement, flow, etc. I'm excited.

Nemo Niblets
Thanks a lot.

I'm thinking about a new plan. 50 lbs Marco rock, cycled for a month or more with some new fully cured live rock. Then switching back into my 40br after I drill it for an overflow and one return, with a new t5 fixture. Clean out my sump entirely, especially the disgusting refugium, get a proper light, and keep cheato only. Sell off most of my corals, all of the clams, keep a few frags of some sps, a few other pieces, keep some of the fish, and just start fresh. Only add pieces I know I want, and let it grow.

After three years with the same crappy tiny rocks and some pieces of coral that I would never buy now, I want to start over with a new understanding of coral placement, flow, etc. I'm excited.

Sounds fun :)

I'm sure it'll look even better :o

Yeah I'm actually kind of excited about doing it. It will be like setting up a first tank, except I will know what I'm doing this time.

Archived