ReefCleaners.org

DIY A.G.E Tank

DaveFason

Paul - AWESOME! Like I said there is a guy on RC that did this and has had it up for 6+ months now.

Side note I will be using a rabbet route and I will scratch up the surface too. This will have three sides for it to hold.

Also the 795, is the black and clear both safe?

Thanks again for going above and beyond. This is awesome news!

-Dave

P.S - I was planning on waiting about 6 weeks to cure :D

The bad part is they dont make the 795 in clear. Only black and other colors. -_-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Black it is :)

Your in NC too. I'm just in Greensboro. Shooting PM now

-D

Neato!!! I might want to come help if i can get a free weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Sapphire Aquatics

PVC is a petroleum based product and it will leach oils in time. These oils will cause premature failure of the seam as the silicone lets go from pressure. Don't rough up the PVC before you attach the glass. I have made several PVC bottom tanks and I can tell you from experience that it is a very difficult process to do successfully.

FYI, look into a sealer, don't rough up the edges... You want to permanently seal the oils in.

Good luck with it!

Sapphire - So your saying we need a sealer and then apply the silicon?

I have ordered the glass and I should be picking it up soon!

-Dave

PVC is a petroleum based product and it will leach oils in time. These oils will cause premature failure of the seam as the silicone lets go from pressure. Don't rough up the PVC before you attach the glass. I have made several PVC bottom tanks and I can tell you from experience that it is a very difficult process to do successfully.

FYI, look into a sealer, don't rough up the edges... You want to permanently seal the oils in.

Good luck with it!

Why does the Sch. 80 PVC board leech? I have plumbed lots of tanks with Sch. 80 PVC and never heard of it leeching anything. What is different with the PVC board?

Sapphire Aquatics

If you think about it, when you join two pieces of PVC together you use a solvent. This solvent melts the PVC, then as it cures, it seals the PVC again.

PVC board is not foamed either, like the pipe is. This foaming facilitates and expedites the bonding process. Try bonding a fitting directly to a fitting, the bond is very weak and it takes a long time to cure. Since the PVC board is not foamed so it will not seal easily and it will leach oil resulting in failure of the silicone seam.

Archived