SaltCritters.com

DIY A.G.E Tank

DaveFason

OK, but if you use the correct size glass you should not have the bowing. Along with doing a rabbet route on the PVC it will only have more surface to grab on.

Are you planning on doing a hybrid tank also?

-Dave

absolutly

just tring to truely understand the wierdness of silicone, and when to use one over an other.

ajmckay and I have been looking into this for some time now. either doing a back wall or simply the overflow only, on an external overflow tank. I had been planing to use dow999a but if the 795 is superior then will diffanetly be using it. still tring to disiffer the spec sheats.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not on my end will be doing biuld in janurray if all goes acording to plan. limited by funds, but hopfully my c-mas bonus will help. anyway i keep procrastanting with the planing so the tanks just sitting there mocking.

Got ya. I just picked up my 1" board and this baby is a BEAST! No wonder they use these for a bottom.

When I get home I'll snap a picture.

-Dave

Well I picked up my PVC board and its a BEAST. I should be able to get my glass before or right after Christmas so its really under way :)

PVC Board!!!

pvc-vi.jpg

-Dave

c-mas to far away need glass, thus pics now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patienctly waiting................

Sorry guys!

I just picked up my Ozone unit for this tank. My friend could only get one in this week so I had to act fast.

Should still be on track though :) I am still deciding 1/2" or 3/8's....

Also the debate on the adhesive..... I am still looking around but still looks like it will be 795.

-Dave

pm'ed nano-paul to way in about the silicone. would call one of the guru's on here.

I will make a call to my Victor, my Dow rep, and find out for sure which one is best for a glass to pvc bond.

I know for a fact that all glass and oceanic all use Dow 999-A. They put it in a different tube with a different label, but it is exactly the same. Comes from the same Dow plant. 795 is a different breed of silicone. It's a neutral cure and has very good adhesive properties, but underwater I just can't see it being a good choice. I could be wrong but I will find out.

Give me 15 minutes and I will get you an answer.

795 is safe for underwater use on glass to glass. He is calling about the PVC to glass bond

Paul - Thanks so much. Let me know when you find out. I have already purchased the PVC board.

Odd thing is from what I have heard it many public aquariums use 795.

Cant wait to hear Victors response!

-Dave

Paul - Thanks so much. Let me know when you find out. I have already purchased the PVC board.

Odd thing is from what I have heard it many public aquariums use 795.

Cant wait to hear Victors response!

-Dave

It is. I could not remember which one was not good for underwater applications, and it was not the 795. He said it might be tomorrow but I will let you know the answer when I do.

Dave,

I just got off the phone and he said that Dow had no testing data for glass to the PVC you bought.........So guess what???????????? They are going to do a bonding test and let me know!!!!! :)

are you back in the glass game? starphire time?

I wish. I have had a pretty rough year. I should be back up and running by march of next year.

Paul - WOW great rep!

How long do you think it might take? Normally I know you need to cure stuff but who knows what they have! I think AGE uses something that they UV cure but who knows.

I will be using low iron/starphire on this tank.

Eagerly awaiting :D

-Dave

Paul - WOW great rep!

How long do you think it might take? Normally I know you need to cure stuff but who knows what they have! I think AGE uses something that they UV cure but who knows.

I will be using low iron/starphire on this tank.

Eagerly awaiting :D

-Dave

I have no idea. A few days I would assume.

The UV bonding won't work in wet environments. I looked at doing that with tanks until I found out how you get it apart.............soak it in water. ;):lol:

A company called Bohle is the one that has come up with the UV bonding method. I went to a convention and learned how to do it. It is a incredible thing to watch. THe bond is really strong til you soak it in a cup of water.......LOL!!

Well scratch that! Then it has to be something easy!

Cant wait to find out! Keep us posted. I should be picking up my glass Jan 2nd. :D

-Dave

Dave,

795 is a go on the glass to PVC. Thy said to rough up the edges of the PVC before you glue it together so the silicone has more surface to bond to. They also said to let it sit for 2 weeks before you water test it. Hope that helps!!! B)

omg. You are the wins.

I will have to make myself a DIY tank now. I'll be looking forward to getting glass from you come March. Did they give you the specifics? strength, lifespan, etc

omg. You are the wins.

I will have to make myself a DIY tank now. I'll be looking forward to getting glass from you come March. Did they give you the specifics? strength, lifespan, etc

No and they wont either. I asked them and they said that it was a liability to do so. They only say that the bond is strong enough to hold the load.

Paul - AWESOME! Like I said there is a guy on RC that did this and has had it up for 6+ months now.

Side note I will be using a rabbet route and I will scratch up the surface too. This will have three sides for it to hold.

Also the 795, is the black and clear both safe?

Thanks again for going above and beyond. This is awesome news!

-Dave

P.S - I was planning on waiting about 6 weeks to cure :D

Archived