inTank Media Baskets

sandbed stir up crew..?

fiddly_foo

I have 14 cerith and 5 nass. but the cerith are always on the rocks and the nass. go in the sand bed and out 2-3 times a day. I need something that doesnt climb and stir's up the sand on top only the top of the sand is there something out there..?

do the fighting counch's climb the rocks or walls..? anyone have any how are they thx's

animalmaster6
I have 14 cerith and 5 nass. but the cerith are always on the rocks and the nass. go in the sand bed and out 2-3 times a day. I need something that doesnt climb and stir's up the sand on top only the top of the sand is there something out there..?

do the fighting counch's climb the rocks or walls..? anyone have any how are they thx's

My Tonga Fighting Conch is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He stirs up the sandbed very good! They sometimes climb the wall and rocks but not that often. My Astrea Snail is pretty good at stirring sand too.

cheryl jordan
My Tonga Fighting Conch is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He stirs up the sandbed very good! They sometimes climb the wall and rocks but not that often. My Astrea Snail is pretty good at stirring sand too.

Astera snail do not go in the sand, often they will stick to the LR and glass. You must have a different type of snail. So do not go out and buy Astera snails if you think they will stir the sand. +1 with the sea cucumber.

my florida and dwarf cerith are always under the sand. I have 70 (dwarf) of them and only 10 are usually visible, maybe 20-30 at night on the glass. Most of my Nass are in the sand as well. Is your sand dirty? Why do you think they arn't doing their jobs?

for just the surface of the sand my blue leg hermits do a great job...

animalmaster6
Astera snail do not go in the sand, often they will stick to the LR and glass. You must have a different type of snail. So do not go out and buy Astera snails if you think they will stir the sand. +1 with the sea cucumber.

I know I have an Astrea! He is always in the sand

My astreas sometimes cross the sand to get to the glass or the rock. Nassarius or florida ceriths are good snails for stirring.

If you want your sand cleaned get a diamond goby. They clean all day and stir more than any snail will. just don't be pissed that your sand is moving around

animalmaster6
My astreas sometimes cross the sand to get to the glass or the rock. Nassarius or florida ceriths are good snails for stirring.

If you want your sand cleaned get a diamond goby. They clean all day and stir more than any snail will. just don't be pissed that your sand is moving around

+1!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get an Orange Spot Diamond Goby! They are great!!! Also, they are peaceful and really cool!

What sie is your tnk?

animalmaster6
will diamond gobies eat prepared food readily? or do you need a huge amount of substrate to sustain them?

don't know for sure. I know u should have at leat a sandbed of 3 inches. I think they usually eat prepared foods.

Don't get a diamond goby! First, sand sifting gobies often starve in captivity because of the small sand beds. Second, they're eating things that help make your live sand "live". Third, diamond gobies get fairly large, and they often spread sand onto rocks and any corals.

You do not need animals to "stir" the sand bed.

cheryl jordan
I know I have an Astrea! He is always in the sand

Crossing yes, but not stirring. My point being do not buy Astera snails if you think they are in any way going to stir you sandbed. ;)

animalmaster6
Crossing yes, but not stirring. My point being do not buy Astera snails if you think they are in any way going to stir you sandbed. ;)

I'm telling u he stirs my sand. He sits on the sand all day and comezs out at night. I've seen him go over brown algae on the sand and he just cleans it right up. he JUST stays in the snad. He never comes out .

+1!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get an Orange Spot Diamond Goby! They are great!!! Also, they are peaceful and really cool!

What sie is your tnk?

Maybe you should slow down, read and learn more instead of being so eager to offer advice.

animalmaster6
Maybe you should slow down, read and learn more instead of being so eager to offer advice.

k I just thought they were really good at stirring sand sorry. I will stop giving too much advice if i don't know the complete information :(

And I didn't know his tank size so I thought if he had a big tank they would help. Again real sorry :(

k I just thought they were really good at stirring sand sorry. I will stop giving too much advice if i don't know the complete information :(

And I didn't know his tank size so I thought if he had a big tank they would help. Again real sorry :(

Aww, I am not mad at you. But I see you are fairly new but offering a lot of advice and I've noticed misinformation in some of the things you've posted. I'm just suggesting you slow down some. You've got a lot of posts for just a few days. If I'm reading right, you do not have a lot of SW experience. What happens if someone newer than you takes advice that isn't completely accurate? Enjoy N-R.com.

animalmaster6
Aww, I am not mad at you. But I see you are fairly new but offering a lot of advice and I've noticed misinformation in some of the things you've posted. I'm just suggesting you slow down some. You've got a lot of posts for just a few days. If I'm reading right, you do not have a lot of SW experience. What happens if someone newer than you takes advice that isn't completely accurate? Enjoy N-R.com.

Thanks

I am fairly new to sw but i do more than an hour's research everyday and i'm not joking. I try to help people and i just thought an Orange Spot Diamond Goby would be great! I am always emailing vividaquariums and they say on their site Osdg are really good at cleaning and sifting sand.

I'm telling u he stirs my sand. He sits on the sand all day and comezs out at night. I've seen him go over brown algae on the sand and he just cleans it right up. he JUST stays in the snad. He never comes out .

Im thinking you have one of two things. A sand dweller in an astrea shell, or you just don't know what an astrea looks like.

If your LFS told you it was an astrea doesn't mean it is one. I just got 6 from coralmorphologic with my order and they are on the glass or the rock. Once crossed the sand to get to a small piece of rock that broke off but that was it.

animalmaster6
Im thinking you have one of two things. A sand dweller in an astrea shell, or you just don't know what an astrea looks like.

If your LFS told you it was an astrea doesn't mean it is one. I just got 6 from coralmorphologic with my order and they are on the glass or the rock. Once crossed the sand to get to a small piece of rock that broke off but that was it.

I personally don't trust any of my lfs. I ordered my Astrea from www.vividaquariums.com. I never have had problems with them. I have never bought a saltwater item from my lfs. And they have lots of snails there.

O yeah,

Scott Riemer,

The reason i already postes that many posts is because i've had a lot of extra time lately and I really like this forum.

Be just as wary about online sites and their recommendations as you would with LFS. Of course diamond gobies are good at "cleaning and sifting" sand, but you have to think what that really means. If cleaning means removing detritus (the main eyesore of sandbeds), then I think it's a stretch to say that's really what the goby is doing. There are true detrivores like kole tangs or cucumbers, but often they are too big for nanos.

animalmaster6
Be just as wary about online sites and their recommendations as you would with LFS. Of course diamond gobies are good at "cleaning and sifting" sand, but you have to think what that really means. If cleaning means removing detritus (the main eyesore of sandbeds), then I think it's a stretch to say that's really what the goby is doing. There are true detrivores like kole tangs or cucumbers, but often they are too big for nanos.

Notes: The Orangespotted Diamond Goby is quite a hard worker, and will keep the sand well sifted and clean. It takes large mouthfuls of sand and sifts through it eating small invertebrates and expelling the cleaned sand out of its gills. This goby likes to work together in pairs. One alone usually gets lonely and groups will often fight, unless introduced to a large aquarium. They are rarely aggressive towards other fish, except other sleeper gobies, such as the Gold Head Sleeper Goby. They will do best in a reef aquarium with passive fishes.

Offer a varied diet of carnivore preparations, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, live black worms, and finely chopped seafood. A refugium will provide an added source of food by helping to keep the sand bed full of tasty snacks.

Well this is what I read on vividaquariums.com. They are a great website and I trust them. I asked Fiddly Foo what size his tank is so I could know if his tank would be suitable.

I find a ton of info on this website. I know this species is DEFINETLY not suitable in nanos and I NEVER said they were.

What does that graphic mean?

It means you're only give more justification to my post and to scott reimer's assertion that you're giving out advice without really reflecting on what that advice means.

Those "small invertebrates" are what helps make a live sand bed "live". Also, you don't seem to show any hint of questioning the advice by vividaquariums. Honestly, it's a little annoying that you keep using bold/red font and exclamation marks, like your trying to scream your opinion. It's as if you take the first information you see as the bible truth, when they may be wrong or half truths.

If you want some good information from an author who doesn't have a commercial incentive in the impact of their advice, read this article about the Valenciennea gobies:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-09/hcs3/index.php

Archived