inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish Sick? HELP!

northstar1357

northstar1357

Good news, 2 days in my QT one of my clownfishs started eating formula pellets. The other one seems doesnt look so good.

I do not have any corals in my 3 gallon, my corals are in my 12 gallon without fish.

here is my 3 gallon pico I have to Topoff every day, about 200ml's. i think its's because i have the tank near my heater at home and my window is filled with moisture. ERG!

DSCN7330.jpg

After i added stress zyme to my tank it killed of two of my zoa colonies, only 1 survived. DAMN! and my GPS died too. all my others corals are fine. I regret adding it.

DO NOT ADD STRESS ZYME WITH CORALS!! lesson learned.

DSCN7336.jpg

All i have in my QT tank is a powerhead, heater and filterfloss

What do you guys think? will i be able to save my other clownifsh?

+1 on using garlic juice.

The fish is still getting used to things. It should start eating in a day or two. What are you feeding it? Are you trying a couple of different foods?

Yep, one fish started eating pellets. since i do not have a filter on this tank, i dont want to overfeed it with anything but pellets. easier to change when they spite it out. I fed my anemone scallop and it finished it in 5 seconds. I guess it like it more than mysis shrimp.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
northstar1357

OH yeah, i caught my clownfish from my display tank without removing my rocks or anything. I noticed that both my clownfish sleeps in my anemone at night. So after i came home,. i took a net and caught them ^_^ in 30 seconds. HAHA

Deleted User 6

Keep a very close eye on your ammonia/nitrite in that hospital tank. Did you dip that filter floss in your other tank water first? Otherwise, you've got nothing in that tank (except the clownfish) that is carrying bacteria to break down the fish waste.

northstar1357
Keep a very close eye on your ammonia/nitrite in that hospital tank. Did you dip that filter floss in your other tank water first? Otherwise, you've got nothing in that tank (except the clownfish) that is carrying bacteria to break down the fish waste.

I added the right amount of stress zyme. tested everything,

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all 0

MY salinity is 1.022.

Should i lower my salinity more?

northstar1357

one of my two clownfish show signs of eating and its normal now. (i think). it eats everything i put in there and breath normally now. can i add it back to my display tank? the other clownfish isnt eating still but it attempt to eat.

one of my two clownfish show signs of eating and its normal now. (i think). it eats everything i put in there and breath normally now. can i add it back to my display tank? the other clownfish isnt eating still but it attempt to eat.

I am very new to the hobby so this is strictly from a logical conclusion more than it is from experience, but you should be very slow in adding things back to the tank. It seems to me that rushing can get you into trouble especially when you don't know what was killing the fish. It could be that the clown you have that recovered is doing better because there is something in the display tank that is not in the QT tank.

As I have said, I do not have the experience that some of the others on the forums do, but from a logical standpoint, I would think that you would slowly add things back to your display. Whatever was in there probably didn't just go away.

northstar1357
I am very new to the hobby so this is strictly from a logical conclusion more than it is from experience, but you should be very slow in adding things back to the tank. It seems to me that rushing can get you into trouble especially when you don't know what was killing the fish. It could be that the clown you have that recovered is doing better because there is something in the display tank that is not in the QT tank.

As I have said, I do not have the experience that some of the others on the forums do, but from a logical standpoint, I would think that you would slowly add things back to your display. Whatever was in there probably didn't just go away.

You're right on one point but what if it was the clownfish that was sick? i didnt have medicate my fishs before. and now that they are. shows signs of healing however, clownfish B is still not eating yet and starving it self.

northstar1357

I woke up this morning and found my clownfish B, sucked around my k-nano. it hasnt eaten for 2 weeks. I believe the lack of eating has caused the fish to become listless. he was still breathing but barely moving. is it safe to assume clownfish A is healed? it eat anything that i put in he QT tank now.

GIVE UP. And any future clownfish owners read this thread and you will know what not to do. :angry:

+1! :angry:

just stop adding fsh. theres something TERRIBLY wrong with your tank, so just empty it, and restart.

northstar1357
+1! :angry:

just stop adding fsh. theres something TERRIBLY wrong with your tank, so just empty it, and restart.

The clownfish that was sucked around my K-nano was in my QT tank. CLownfish A healed but not Clownfish B. I dont really know what i should do but i know i dont want to tank my tank apart. my nem is in the middle of cloning. half way finish. post some pictures tomorrow when i get my camera. Anyways before someone yell at me. Both Clownfish are inQt tank. onejust died.

Clownfish A Stats:

There are no more white stringy poops as before. it eats normally and poops. behaves like a normal clownfish again.

Clownfish B Stats

ddied. due to lacking food (not eating for 2 weeks but attempt to eat 2 days ago but too late)

Cupramine is helping my clownfish in my opinion. it show signs of healing.

I cant go to fish store for anymore medicine as my test is near and ITS SNOWING 12+ inches= of snow.

The clownfish that was sucked around my K-nano was in my QT tank. CLownfish A healed but not Clownfish B. I dont really know what i should do but i know i dont want to tank my tank apart. my nem is in the middle of cloning. half way finish. post some pictures tomorrow when i get my camera. Anyways before someone yell at me. Both Clownfish are inQt tank. onejust died.

Clownfish A Stats:

There are no more white stringy poops as before. it eats normally and poops. behaves like a normal clownfish again.

Clownfish B Stats

ddied. due to lacking food (not eating for 2 weeks but attempt to eat 2 days ago but too late)

Cupramine is helping my clownfish in my opinion. it show signs of healing.

I cant go to fish store for anymore medicine as my test is near and ITS SNOWING 12+ inches= of snow.

well at least everything is getting relativly better. where i am ( PA) im in a state of emergency we got at least 14in + i was snowboarding all day ;)

omg, I should have sat in this before reading this thread! Are you sure you don't have a "nano cube hqi"? Those tanks seem to hide all sorts of useful advise and replace it with "buy more fish"...

lolling-chair-1.jpg

You seriously need to stop buying clown fish and go back to gold fish... Rule number 1 for clown fish is don't have more than 2. And when your fish die, buying new ones isn't going to solve anything.

Pleases take clown fish A back to the store before it dies.

So I was watching this video (YouTube I think). they have a blue tang and a clownfish hanging out together. They were SO cute. My LFS said that I could keep them in the drinking glass on my window sill. I'm using bottled water and Kosher Rock salt, but I'm on my tenth set of fish in 4 hours.

I don't have time for this anymore. I have to get into med school so I can learn to cut up people for money. Then I'll be back to Nano-Reef because I'll be making enough money to get the sea turtle that was in the film too. Gee, ain't the internet great!?!?!?!

northstar1357
So I was watching this video (YouTube I think). they have a blue tang and a clownfish hanging out together. They were SO cute. My LFS said that I could keep them in the drinking glass on my window sill. I'm using bottled water and Kosher Rock salt, but I'm on my tenth set of fish in 4 hours.

I don't have time for this anymore. I have to get into med school so I can learn to cut up people for money. Then I'll be back to Nano-Reef because I'll be making enough money to get the sea turtle that was in the film too. Gee, ain't the internet great!?!?!?!

Totally, I am in the middle of taking my GMAT so i can make big bucks and buy myself a part of the red sea. ^_^

Totally, I am in the middle of taking my GMAT so i can make big bucks and buy myself a part of the red sea. ^_^

That will make you big bucks for sure. Business school is a great start, and you have already shown strong problem-solving skills by the way you have worked through your tank issues. I bet you will be the CEO of a major company soon. Like, GM, or Lehman Brothers.

Best of luck to you. And don't worry about the clownfish you have lost. They are much like your future employees and can be replaced without guilt at any time.

Ummm sprinter... I don't think sarcasm is working...

northstar, if I were you I would leave the clownfish our of your display tank. That's great if the one that's still alive looks "cured" but it hasn't been enough time and whatever made them sick in the first place could still be in your main tank.

Give it another 2-3 weeks in quarantine. 1 week is simply not enough to complete a round of treatment and observe the fish for other symptoms. Did you read the bottle? Cupramine if I recall correctly should be treated for 14 days at the doses specified. Observe the fish carefully and change 50% of the water in the QT tank 2x weekly at least (but keep up with the treatment levels!). Good luck.

northstar1357
Ummm sprinter... I don't think sarcasm is working...

northstar, if I were you I would leave the clownfish our of your display tank. That's great if the one that's still alive looks "cured" but it hasn't been enough time and whatever made them sick in the first place could still be in your main tank.

Give it another 2-3 weeks in quarantine. 1 week is simply not enough to complete a round of treatment and observe the fish for other symptoms. Did you read the bottle? Cupramine if I recall correctly should be treated for 14 days at the doses specified. Observe the fish carefully and change 50% of the water in the QT tank 2x weekly at least (but keep up with the treatment levels!). Good luck.

Thanks. I'll quarantine my fish for 2 more weeks then. if there are bacterial (badones) in my DT. will timelapse kill them off? my anemone is cloning so i dont want to move any corals right now. I did add stress zyme 2 weeks ago and it kinda damaged 2 of my zoas colonies and my GPS. but my monti is fine and shows signs of growth.

Yeah your DT will be fine if you leave it alone. Seriously try not to mess with it by adding chemicals or anything... Limit your involvement to water changes only. Let things find equilibrium naturally. The more time you can keep the clown in QT the better...

Also, be sure to finish off your cupramine treatment and after that SLOWLY raise your S.G. in the QT to that of the DT because as I recall you're hanging around 1.022, right?

northstar1357
Yeah your DT will be fine if you leave it alone. Seriously try not to mess with it by adding chemicals or anything... Limit your involvement to water changes only. Let things find equilibrium naturally. The more time you can keep the clown in QT the better...

Also, be sure to finish off your cupramine treatment and after that SLOWLY raise your S.G. in the QT to that of the DT because as I recall you're hanging around 1.022, right?

yep, you're right. The only thing that i am doing to my display tank is feeding my nem and water change. My QT S.G. currently at 1.024 as i have raised it slowly.

Question. i did a water change in my QT while cupramine was still in there. because it is hard to get rid of nitrite in my QT tank. (i am only using powerheard and heater since chemical filtration will remove medicine)

Should i add a little more cupramine since i did a water change?

The direction for cupramine reads:

remove all invert. turn off UV; remove chem filt. use 16 drops per 40L (10.5g. i used 4.5 drops and 3 drops after that) the first day, wait 48 hours then repeat. leave at this concentration for 14 days.

So... after i water change to get rid of some nitrite, i should redose partial??

Help please

northstar1357

This morning i placed my clownfish back into my display tank. Then the clownfish started swimming and tried eating the pellets that he usually get in QT but spit it back out. After 10 minuites of observation, i took the fish back to QT tank.

Can Nature kill parasite with time?

I just added chemipure elite to my nanocube.

Ordered 4 from ebay. How long on average should i leave my display tank to heal if soemthing is wrong? or will i have to start over because i really don't want to start over. i love the coralline thats covering my rocks and walls. i dont want to boil my rocks and sand.

Can my tank recover?

northstar1357

Also, i find it trouble some to topoff my pico.(i dont want a ATO because the QT will only serve me until clownfish heals) How can i make a top for my pico to prevent high evaporation?

I have acrylics sheets at home. How hard is it to cut acylic and what material do i need?

Give it another 2-3 weeks in quarantine. 1 week is simply not enough to complete a round of treatment and observe the fish for other symptoms.
Thanks. I'll quarantine my fish for 2 more weeks then.
This morning i placed my clownfish back into my display tank.

You sir, are a jackass. All your questions have been answered and you consistently ignore the advise. The fish was probably not cured. Even if it was, a LARGE part of having it in QT is to allow the problem bacteria in the DT to die. Instead of being patient as recommended over and over and OVER, you put the fish back in the DT and probably re-infected it. Now your QT time starts over. You need to get more meds and start re-dosing.

I am now thinking this is a troll.

Archived