ReefCleaners.org

spencers' 12G Cadlights

spencers

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got my CADlights 22g in and my pump doesnt seem to fit in the chamber. Me and some of the guys from work have been moving it at different angles all over the place.

Question is, did you have this problem with your 12g?

Thanks Jon, Ian, and Phil!

I'll get more pictures of the modified fixture soon. It was quite late last night and I only snapped a few.

Here's some water tests:

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 1.0 ppm

Nitrate: 40 ppm

SG: 1.028

Temp: 80.1 F

Looks like I'm closing in on the end of the cycle! Time will tell...

To be honest, I haven't even started thinking of what I want to stock.

reefnoob, my tank arrived completely assembled in-box. Can't help ya there.

scubasteve2580
Thanks Jon, Ian, and Phil!

I'll get more pictures of the modified fixture soon. It was quite late last night and I only snapped a few.

Here's some water tests:

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 1.0 ppm

Nitrate: 40 ppm

SG: 1.028

Temp: 80.1 F

Looks like I'm closing in on the end of the cycle! Time will tell...

To be honest, I haven't even started thinking of what I want to stock.

reefnoob, my tank arrived completely assembled in-box. Can't help ya there.

hey man i like the tank. youre doing an awsome job. should be done cycling in a day or 2. bet youre stoked

Awesome dude! That is what I was aiming for before building my acrylic/PVC fixture. How are you cooling it? Did you cut a hole in the top of fixture?

Awesome dude! That is what I was aiming for before building my acrylic/PVC fixture. How are you cooling it? Did you cut a hole in the top of fixture?

Nope, I haven't done any cutting. I might cut an 80mm hole on top at some point, but I really like the original look I've achieved.

I have a total of four 30mm fans; one at each corner. They replaced the black end caps that housed the switches and such. They fit snugly with a little double sided tape on all four sides to deaden the metal-on-plastic vibration. Two fans on one side pull air in, and two fans on the opposite side push air out. I bought an AC adapter that can run up to 5 12V fans. They keep it cool, but they're a bit loud. I've thought about throwing a digital thermometer on the heat sink to see what temperatures I get when the fans are on and off.

Like I said, I still need to mount the dimming pots somewhere, which will probably require drilling. They just hang off the side.

I also need to get some three-prong outlet timers before leaving for the holiday, to get that dawn-dusk effect. Right now I just manually switch the lights on in the morning before I leave, and turn them off 8 to 11 hours later.

I'll have to get some more pictures soon to show the craftsmanship.

You already spent so much just get a reefkeeper. For 99 dollars you can run all of your lighting and make sure you never fry your tank if the heater stays on. Do it

You already spent so much just get a reefkeeper. For 99 dollars you can run all of your lighting and make sure you never fry your tank if the heater stays on. Do it

JUST DO IT! B)

Quick update:

Over the holiday Nitrites finally hit zero. A 40% water change dropped Nitrates to 5ppm. Sorry for the horrid photo that follows, but I added a simple starter clean up crew.

2 Turbos

2 Ceriths

2 Nassarius

2 Blue leg hermits

2 Scarlet leg hermits

1 Skunk cleaner shrimp

Algae grew up quite a bit over the holiday...

algae.jpg

I'm borrowing an emerald crab for a week or two to see if it can chomp down on some GHA.

Within SECONDS of placing it in the tank, the emerald started devouring!

emerald.jpg

Algae should be history in a few weeks with this CUC bunch, consistent water changes and minimal food inputs.

Agreed! I would be questioning your Ro/Di Unit... What is the TDS?

Raise your MAG levels!

:bowdown: CADLIGHTS 12G

Agreed! I would be questioning your Ro/Di Unit... What is the TDS?

Raise your MAG levels!

:bowdown: CADLIGHTS 12G

My ro/di unit is perfectly functioning. I use my Millipore Super Q at work. Reagent grade water--can't beat that. I verified that with AZDesertRat. He's used the same unit.

I think the GHA is just result of a heavy, heavy cycle. So with that, the emerald is only temporary. I use ddh2o salt, which has appropriate levels of magnesium included, if I recall.

Releasing crabs into your system that you don't want to keep long term is going to result in you removing all of your rock when you want him out. Why not just take it out now and scrub it and be done with it. Cucs rarely do anything to gha.

Good luck

Get a MAG test and Kent M and raise your MAG to 1500... It worked for a buddy of mine in Dallas...

H20 only comes n at 1350

Nano sapiens
Releasing crabs into your system that you don't want to keep long term is going to result in you removing all of your rock when you want him out. Why not just take it out now and scrub it and be done with it. Cucs rarely do anything to gha.

Good luck

Agreed, a good scrub is effective.

My blue-legged hermits in my old tank were pretty good at munching mine, but I first had to cut it down by scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush. In addition, I got a Flame Angel who did a good job at pecking the rocks clean, but they are of course too big for a 12g nano tank.

Actually, they're chomping away at it quite quickly. Removal of the crab, when the day comes, will be easy.

Agreed, a good scrub is effective.

My blue-legged hermits in my old tank were pretty good at munching mine, but I first had to cut it down by scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush.

I'll definitely be trying it.

so where are you buying your livestock spencer?

CritterCo and Aquarium Concepts in Shreveport.

Tank looks nice Spencer. How's the firefish doing?

I have found that Aquarium Concepts is rude and obnoxious. Once when I called to see if they had something, they snapped at me and said they were only a maintenance company! WTF?? Maybe I'll give them another try. I wonder if they have any skunk cleaner shrimp? Hmmm....

On another note, how is that UPS working as a backup for your tank? Have you unplugged it to see how long it lasts? I have a ReefKeeper so I couldn't use a UPS as a truly automatic backup. I'd have to physically unplug the powerhead and heater from the Reefkeeper and plug them into the backup.

Tank looks nice Spencer. How's the firefish doing?

I have found that Aquarium Concepts is rude and obnoxious. Once when I called to see if they had something, they snapped at me and said they were only a maintenance company! WTF?? Maybe I'll give them another try. I wonder if they have any skunk cleaner shrimp? Hmmm....

On another note, how is that UPS working as a backup for your tank? Have you unplugged it to see how long it lasts? I have a ReefKeeper so I couldn't use a UPS as a truly automatic backup. I'd have to physically unplug the powerhead and heater from the Reefkeeper and plug them into the backup.

The fish has found a nice little crevasse to hang out. Can't even see the bugger very well.

Aquarium Concepts had skunk cleaners last time I was there, though that was two weeks ago. However, I purchased mine from CritterCo.

Honestly, I haven't tried a live test of the UPS. With the heater, pump, and power head plugged in (lights off), the LCD display shows 96min of runtime.

The fish has found a nice little crevasse to hang out. Can't even see the bugger very well.

Aquarium Concepts had skunk cleaners last time I was there, though that was two weeks ago. However, I purchased mine from CritterCo.

Honestly, I haven't tried a live test of the UPS. With the heater, pump, and power head plugged in (lights off), the LCD display shows 96min of runtime.

Give him time, he'll get settled in and he'll be out looking around, especially when you feed him!

I'll try AQ tomorrow on the shrimp. CritterCo hasn't had anything very appealing the last few stops I've made in there.

CritterCo and Aquarium Concepts in Shreveport.

really. will have to go check it out. nice selection?

AC gets some nice Frags in every month but you need to be there when they come in...

CC... Frags...Eehhhhh... Could be better... but they do have several types of fish and Inverts...

Archived