Coral Vue Hydros

spencers' 12G Cadlights

spencers

Smells fresh from the ocean.

By the way, I think you'd be interested to know I've placed an order for a few things:

- 5.375" x 8" Heatsink

- 2 dimmable 1000ma buckpucks

- 2 MPJA 24v @ 6.5A power supplies

- 6 Cree XR-E Q5 White

- 6 Cree XR-E Royal Blue

- Arctic Silver thermal adhesive

- 60W solder gun

I plan on retrofitting this into the cadlights lamp. :)

Sounds like a good plan... I thought about that too... But I couldn’t figure out a good cosmetic way to get it all in there... The Heat sink is thicker than the fixtures aluminum housing, so you need to figure out a way to add a splash guard and make it look pleasing to the eye... Or go without one...

Looking forward to see what you come up with... And trust me when I say you will be glad you went LED’s

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a ~25% water change today. On second thought, I probably should NOT have done this.

Params according to the API SW kit:

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Temp: 78.1 F

Anyway, I'll leave it alone and let it cycle, only performing weekly water tests.

Spencers, I think we need some more pictures!

Your tank is coming along great, I cant wait to see how the LED system looks.

Thanks for pointing me to your thread, im thinking I should move my build thread over here. alot more CAD folks on this forum.

any diatoms yet?

Thanks! No diatoms yet.

However, I have a HUGE PROBLEM. I switched the Koralia Nano to the opposite side of the tank. Maybe not such a good idea.....

I came home yesterday to an overflowing display and almost nothing in the fuge chambers. Luckily, the acrylic/glass that separates the display & fuge is a little shorter than the overall tank height, and it was dumping back in the fuge instead of flooding my apartment. I'm lucky the heater didn't shatter.

This morning when I woke up, the tank was on its way of doing it again. I fluffed up the polyfill and moved the sponge a little higher up in the first chamber. We'll see what happens this evening. If so, I'm moving the K-nano back to the other side. On the bright side, I'm glad I'm catching all this before I put any livestock in the tank.

That souds really odd Spencers,

Where on the other side did you put the Koraila? I have my MP10 right underneath the surface skimmer and i have never had any issues like the one you describe.

*Edit*

I thought about this some more. I did have a similar issue but not as extreeme as you describe. How much filter floss/pad do you have packed into chamber 1? also how pack down is your chemipure? At first i had my chemipure on the bottum of chamber one, it was packed up against the outflow to chamber 2 and was making the water table in the display rise to a higher level then expected. also maybe point the return locline twords the surface to help "push" the water through the surface skimmer? you could also just turn off the Koralia for a while and see if you still have the issue. good luck and let us know

That souds really odd Spencers,

Where on the other side did you put the Koraila? I have my MP10 right underneath the surface skimmer and i have never had any issues like the one you describe.

*Edit*

I thought about this some more. I did have a similar issue but not as extreeme as you describe. How much filter floss/pad do you have packed into chamber 1? also how pack down is your chemipure? At first i had my chemipure on the bottum of chamber one, it was packed up against the outflow to chamber 2 and was making the water table in the display rise to a higher level then expected. also maybe point the return locline twords the surface to help "push" the water through the surface skimmer? you could also just turn off the Koralia for a while and see if you still have the issue. good luck and let us know

I moved the Koralia here:

rock3.jpg

I have a rather large amount of filter floss in chamber 1. Topped with a filter pad that originally came with the tank. I'm not running chemipure right now (waiting until end of cycle).

Now that I remember, when I got home yesterday, the first thing I did was pull out that filter pad. Surprisingly, the water immediately started flowing back into the fuge through the surface skimmer. Perhaps the filter pad is culprit and becomes clogged. But, remember this started occurring again overnight... Perhaps it becomes clogged very easily?

A good volume of tightly packed floss can be quite restricting, so I can see this happening. As an alternative...

Instead of floss in the 'fuge I use a fine-micron filter sock once a week attached to the pump outlet when I do my weekly water change. A turkey baster used all over the tank and 'fuge gets the detritus whipped up in suspension and the pump kicks it into the sock. Some detritus also gets removed via the WC. Once every month or two I also run a small outside filter packed with floss at the same time as the sock and WC and let it run for a few hours.

Personally, I like to keep my 'fuge area as free flowing as possible to avoid potential mishaps.

You need to remove the Sponge... Build a media rack... Use only the floss... I use a big ball of it on top of my

rack with Purigen on one stage and Chemipure Elite on the the other stage...

You need to remove the Sponge... Build a media rack... Use only the floss... I use a big ball of it on top of my

rack with Purigen on one stage and Chemipure Elite on the the other stage...

Well, luckily when I came home, the display wasn't flooded again. However, I still removed the sponge. I already have half a rack going, might as well finish it off! Thanks for the suggestions.

Also added some chaeto to the middle chamber.

Updated Illustration:

illustration2.jpg

Starting to receive pieces for the LED build... But the LEDs aren't labeled. I have no clue how to tell them apart!

Teaser:

LEDs.jpg

Well, luckily when I came home, the display wasn't flooded again. However, I still removed the sponge. I already have half a rack going, might as well finish it off! Thanks for the suggestions.

Also added some chaeto to the middle chamber.

Starting to receive pieces for the LED build... But the LEDs aren't labeled. I have no clue how to tell them apart!

Teaser:

leds.jpg

Cool... Bags were not labeled?

The cool whites usually have a sticker on the the back with 107 on it... Other than that you will have to fire one up to get the colors... They usually dont have any markings on the star or LED

Cool... Bags were not labeled?

The cool whites usually have a sticker on the the back with 107 on it... Other than that you will have to fire one up to get the colors... They usually dont have any markings on the star or LED

Bags weren't labeled. Nothing etched or written on them.

Edit: figured it out.

Yellow dies are white, silver dies are blue.

On a lighter note, I set up my autotopoff.com dual switch today. Works great. It's powered by an Aqualifter.

ATO2.jpg

Dual floats set up in separate fuge chambers. Tubing temporarily secured by a clip.

ATO.jpg

Aqualifter and water container.

*Water tests*

Ammonia: 8 ppm (maxed out!)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Temp: 78.7 F

I'd assume this is my ammonia spike...

*More Water tests*

pH: 8

Nitrite: 0.5 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Temp: 81.6 F (hmm..)

Humming along slowly.

You be the judge:

apitest.jpg

Lastly, I'll leave you with these updated pictures:

[FTS.jpg

setup.jpg

looken good so far.. although.. that is a hella-sick ammonia reading. lol should make for a healthy cycle

Yep. It's a wicked heavy cycle. I had these small green hair-like algae growing on the glass. Took the mag-clean to them. Also, the sand is starting to get a little brown...

Here's todays water test results:

Nitrite: 5 ppm (maxed out!)

Nitrate: EDIT: 20 ppm

SG: 1.028

I'll keep letting the tank do its thing.

scubasteve2580
Yep. It's a wicked heavy cycle. I had these small green hair-like algae growing on the glass. Took the mag-clean to them. Also, the sand is starting to get a little brown... Here's todays readings:

Nitrite: 5 ppm (maxed out!)

Nitrate: 160 ppm (maxed out!)

SG: 1.028

Guess I'll keep letting the tank do its thing. These maxed out test results really scare me though. Water change?? I have water ready.

no not yet. still have nitrite.. yeah youll have a hell of bio filter before its said and done.. when nitrite hits 0 do a water change. did you though something in to start the cycle or is that all die off?

holy crap dude that is crazy. I have never seen tests that high. Are you sure there isn't something wrong with the kits? Id bring some water to your lfs and have them test it for you also.

It's till a work in progress, but here's some pictures of the semi-finished LED project.

Four 30mm fans are located at each corner. Two pull air out, two push air in.

Sorry I don't have many pictures of the install itself. They'll come at a later date.

LEDS-1.jpg

LEDS-2.jpg

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDwZIU3QDI

Disclaimer: I was shaking the tank a little to show off the shimmering effect the LEDs give.

I still need to wire up some switches and drill holes for the dimming pots. Also need to find some outlet timers that have a grounded plug, and find some better brackets.

Archived