ReefCleaners.org

When you get bored.........

Vancouver Reefer

Hey can I have the sketchup file?

I'll, when I get bored do some nice materials and render it out then post it here.

I enjoy doing stuff like that and need a break from my current animation project.

I know Yaf A Ray(a rendering engine that works with Blender) really well as well as Blender's internal engine,

plus the lighting and all of that stuff.

I'd appreciate it.

I got bored again....

4429450187_ee53e1eb5b_o.jpg

Its a pity the demo ran out on my rendering software as it would look cool rendered!!

VR

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, I've been jacking with sketchup for days and all I can do is screw stuff up. How are you modeling the tanks themselves? Being transparent and all.

4116587664_88632188ff_o.jpg

If you use this sort of architecture, be sure to use at least Schedule 80 PVC pipe to hold that tank and stand nice and sturdy ;).

This looks like an awesome plan.

Hmm.

I did a direct Collada Export to Blender,

totally didn't work.

Then i tried to export it as a Google earth format and I got the same messed up scene.

Finally I go the Pro Version of Sketchup then exported it as OBJ,

now it in Blender however it won't separate all the mesh correctly.

I think it will clean up with some work,

I dunno maybe a few little pieces got messed up.

The materials, lighting and stuff will be the easy part.

But hey I have something to do now don't I?

I must say I got bored of working with sketchup (cause I have to use it for college) but gotta admit I love loosing time doing what I don't really need to do in sketchup... like Reef related stuff :P haha

• 5 months later...

I didn't read the whole thread on this excellent mockup, but here are some thoughts

1) why not have the gravity feed from the tank flow through the frag tank, then overflow to the fuge?

frags would get a shot at eating whatever leftover food comes down, and water temp would be more stable (pumps can heat water a little) and it would allow you to either use a smaller pump or get more flow in the display tank for "free"

B) you could plumb in on or more small external pumps to circulate water from that center intake across the bottom. If you wanted, you could do a long-term wavemaker effect (a tidal effect) such that you run one pump for 6 hours, then the other, etc...

iii) the graphics are impressive

d) same comment on the fuge as on the frag tank-- I'd rather see water go straight downhill from the tank into those spaces vs. using up flow from the return line. Since the sump is at least 3m below the display, you'll get plenty of velocity on the downspout. I suppose it could be trickier to adjust the flow, so maybe build a small header tank that catches the water from the display, then you can put as much as you want into the fuge/frag tank, and the rest goes into the skimmer/sump

the end result is still that you get a lower flow pump or more flow in the display. Either way, you win with less heat or less electric bill

• 1 month later...

Archived