Innovative Marine Aquariums

When you get bored.........

Vancouver Reefer

Vancouver Reefer

The pipes take alot of little quirks to get right. Its all about drawing a circle on the right plane, colouring it and then pulling it. Then you can move it around to fine tune the fit into the fittings.

The tank might be changing slightly as we will see what fits best in our new house. Im looking at a 55 Corner Bow but the principals will be the same - the closed loop.

Ill keep you all updated dont worry!!!!

Just to keep you interested, here is a pic of one of my boards for the Aquatroller!!!

4423676161_e52af6ae8d.jpg

i will be stacking more on top ;)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just read through this whole thing. looks good. i am anxious to see the outcome. call me a noob but i still dont understand the flow chart. is there any way you could pm me a diagram of how the water will flow into what chamber and how it will return? i'm used to the traditional setup but this is a whole new language to me. thanks

Vancouver Reefer

A flow chart of which thing????? There are so many bits i dont know which one you want to understand better???

i tried to follow the return plumbing but got confused when it came to the frag tank. i see the pump goes to the frag tank and back up to the DT, but how does it escape the frag tank?

Vancouver Reefer

Ahhhh,

Look closely in the last pic, you can see the vertical stand pipe in the frag tank which leads back into the sump. I can control the flow through the fuge and the frag tank with vavlves off the manifold.

Hope this helps.

VR.

i see it. thanks. i just overlooked that. now that i look at it closer this is pretty brilliant. there will be now dead spots for the fuge. i like this setup alot.

Vancouver Reefer

Thanks for the praise. If all goes to plan this will be one hell of a sweet setup, especially once my controller is finished and its automated. The next things to work on will be my auto salt dispenser and my text message alarm add on to allow me to view faults in real time. and sort them out electronically

My next biggest hurdle is the software side of my controller. Im a hardware guy and im VERY slowly trying to lean Visual Basic to make a nice internet based user interface, so if any of you guys could give any tips on that i would be VERY much appreciated!!!

Vancouver Reefer

I got bored again....

4429450187_ee53e1eb5b_o.jpg

Its a pity the demo ran out on my rendering software as it would look cool rendered!!

VR

I got bored again....

Its a pity the demo ran out on my rendering software as it would look cool rendered!!

VR

wow thats an insane set up!!!!!!!!! i wish i could have half of the amount of resources you do.... your reef better be nice or else ill hurt you

Vancouver Reefer

For the amount of time ive spent designing all this stuff if best be good!!! The only problem ive got is starting it all on a 50 Gal!!! This system would rival the Vancouver Aquariums setup!!!!

Once ive finished my aquarium, controller, installation and user interface ill finally have time to sketch-up anyones ideas, plans etc!

Wow man, you are really good at that. After seeing your I tried it out, they are decent but yours keep getting better and better! Wicked cool man, great work! Now bring it to life!

Ok so a new idea....

Keep the closed loop design or replace it with a Vortech or 2 ?????

Personally, I think closed loops are the way to go. A good practice is to drill two return holes and plumb them both, though leave one valve'd off so you can use it if you need to. Or, plumb them together and have them rotate 100% return every now and then. Remember, a closed loop with one intake and one return is like two powerheads (the intake pulls as much water as it pushes). Twice as effective if you separate them on sides of the tank.

Just my two cents....

Vancouver Reefer

Kyle,

Your Lagoon tank is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!! Now thats what you call a show piece!!! That would be sweet to do a deeper one with a full reef below and then your own Hawaiian volcano on top!

Love it

Kyle,

Your Lagoon tank is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!! Now thats what you call a show piece!!! That would be sweet to do a deeper one with a full reef below and then your own Hawaiian volcano on top!

Love it

Gosh, thanks man! I can't wait to get my bigger one under way!

Now, yours is going to be awesome because you seem to be a man of the "quality, rather than quantity." That is PERFECT for a reefer. Good job and make it happen!

I got bored again....

VR

this is now the sump that i will from now on refer to as "the sump that i've always wanted."

Archived