ReefCleaners.org

anemone in NC 12

northstar1357

ive kept anemones under pc lights for the last 9 years, ive only ever lost two anemones, one bta that immediately walked into a power head an hour after acclimation and a carpet (that was under halides) which died from eating my copperband and rotting...

I am just strangely surprised to see so many people adiment about not being able to keep them under pc's. When i first started i had one under normal output, somewhat near a window. This was before i was on RC or here, either way, it was happy and huge for 6 months before i upgraded and got different lights for corals.

I just completely different views based off of years of experience. But, to each their own.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive kept anemones under pc lights for the last 9 years, ive only ever lost two anemones, one bta that immediately walked into a power head an hour after acclimation and a carpet (that was under halides) which died from eating my copperband and rotting...

I am just strangely surprised to see so many people adiment about not being able to keep them under pc's. When i first started i had one under normal output, somewhat near a window. This was before i was on RC or here, either way, it was happy and huge for 6 months before i upgraded and got different lights for corals.

I just completely different views based off of years of experience. But, to each their own.

PC's bulbs will not even be a conversation in another 2 or 3 years....and anyone that has real life long experience with any high light anemone species will tell you that PC's are a no no.....they just don't have the light penetration power that a nem like that needs......but again it has been done with some success......totally not advised though

and more the point, a good T5HO light setup are running as cheap if not cheaper then most PC'S lights nowadays so what's the point of taking the chance with a PC bulb???

doesn't omake much sense at this point. I don't understand why ppl that are addicted to reefing like we are would try to hold on to a dying technology like power compacts....I know a lot of ppl resist change but come on!!

northstar1357
Hope it splits.

True_Perc_Ritteri.jpg

How long does it take nem's to clone itself? Its about a week and the nem is only 1/4 finished. the split makes the nem look like a butt crack LMAO. i will post pictures when i get my camera back from my sister.

brandonscopes

I am keeping two rose bubble tip anemone's under my biocube 14 stock lights and they are as healthy as can be. I have had them under there for a month or so.

Rose Bubble Tips don't need MH, they do well under VHO lighting. As your BioCube PC lights age, you may have a problem. A month really isn't long enough to declare success, so keep an eye on them. Post some pictures.

northstar1357
I am keeping two rose bubble tip anemone's under my biocube 14 stock lights and they are as healthy as can be. I have had them under there for a month or so.

I think when the experts say "healthy" they meant in duration of a year+. i have had the nem for 4 weeks already and it has grown 3 times the size that i purchased it. Now its 1/4 fnish splitting. Its either a split or expanding.

• 4 weeks later...
northstar1357

HA! 2 anemone in one tank, actually 3 anemone in Nanocube 12.

cloned itself and gave it away. Too many anemone in my small tank. So... it has been 6 months or so and my anemone is doing great. The green pigments are stronger than before.

I guess its an indicator of good health?

What you think

HA! 2 anemone in one tank, actually 3 anemone in Nanocube 12.

cloned itself and gave it away. Too many anemone in my small tank. So... it has been 6 months or so and my anemone is doing great. The green pigments are stronger than before.

I guess its an indicator of good health?

What you think

Why the HA!?

And an anemone splitting that many times isnt an indicator of good health. As for the green pigments being stronger than before thats a good thing.

I've only ever had one anemone split once and it was due to a tank move that stressed it out. I have an RBTA thats as big as a dinner plate that wont split.

And when you said it took a week and it wasnt done splitting, thats a bad thing. They should start and finish the split within 24hrs.

northstar1357
Why the HA!?

And an anemone splitting that many times isnt an indicator of good health. As for the green pigments being stronger than before thats a good thing.

I've only ever had one anemone split once and it was due to a tank move that stressed it out. I have an RBTA thats as big as a dinner plate that wont split.

And when you said it took a week and it wasnt done splitting, thats a bad thing. They should start and finish the split within 24hrs.

LOLZ I guess my anemone is a slow spliter.

The "Ha" is to prove that anemone can survive under PC in a Nanocube. It was brown when i got it and now its green so... I WIN? that nems can survive in NC12? :D

northstar1357

Why is my clownfish breathing so hard when it enters the anemone? i see black spots and i know that he is being stung and does hard breathing come with hosting the nem? I feed him and he eats. He was sick 1 and 1/2 months ago and he is cured now and so is the tank.

Archived