Top Shelf Aquatics

anemone in NC 12

northstar1357

also with previous experience, my clownfish didnt host my nem. any method to make my false percula host my future nem?

what happened to this nem?

if u must get a nem try to find one thats a split of a mother thats been in captivity for a while.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cheryl jordan
So does that mean i can keep a green bubble tip? My PC light is 7 month old\.. should i change bulbs before getting the nem? or will pc last up to 1 year? also with previous experience, my clownfish didnt host my nem. any method to make my false percula host my future nem?

TELL ME YOUR TRICKS IF THERE ARE ANY!! haha

I agree if you don't have experience with anemones I would not go out and purchase one, without significant lighting. As I stated earlier I change out my PC routinly and the anemone's rock work should be no more than 24 inches, away from the PCs. I provide target feedings everyother day with an array of different foods soaked in amino acids. And most importantly I have excellent water parameters, water changes every week and my tanks are stable. I have included pic of this am not everything is awake yet. Now a days it's so easy to upgrade your lights if can do so.

post-40050-1259248268_thumb.jpg

I agree if you don't have experience with anemones I would not go out and purchase one, without significant lighting. As I stated earlier I change out my PC routinly and the anemone's rock work should be no more than 24 inches, away from the PCs. I provide target feedings everyother day with an array of different foods soaked in amino acids. And most importantly I have excellent water parameters, water changes every week and my tanks are stable. I have included pic of this am not everything is awake yet. Now a days it's so easy to upgrade your lights if can do so.

+1 this could be the start of a beautiful relationship cheryl.......no hard feelings........ :grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...
northstar1357
please do not get a nem if you have a PC bulb UNLESS you have experience in keeping them.......you will have more success with them with higher lighting......

HAHA i am going to prove u wrong.(hopefully) the last time anemone died because i was away from home but this time i'll be on guard. :D

My opinion may change in another 6 months.. but I acquired my nem back in early May and have seen remarkable improvement in this animal. I've had no trouble bringing him back from near death under stock biocube lighting. I can correlate this with plenty of research. Here's the before and now.

First obtained:

post-44828-1252611773_thumb.jpg

Current:

post-44828-1257309478_thumb.jpg

OK so after having him under the LEDs for a few weeks.. he was still stretching upwards.. so I don't think it's the lighting. I think it's more so he could expand. I've since gone a new direction with the tank.. cut him into quarters and now have 4 happy GBTAs.. 3 will be traded or what not.. I may keep 1..still interested in seeing what the final coloration will be..especially now that it's receiving all the light it could ever want.

northstar1357
OK so after having him under the LEDs for a few weeks.. he was still stretching upwards.. so I don't think it's the lighting. I think it's more so he could expand. I've since gone a new direction with the tank.. cut him into quarters and now have 4 happy GBTAs.. 3 will be traded or what not.. I may keep 1..still interested in seeing what the final coloration will be..especially now that it's receiving all the light it could ever want.

Mine nem doont stretch like urs. stretching is a sign of lacking light? mine just expands like crazy. When i got it from the LFS it was only a quarter wide, now its more like 6 inches wide. does that mean the nem likes the lighting?

Mine nem doont stretch like urs. stretching is a sign of lacking light? mine just expands like crazy. When i got it from the LFS it was only a quarter wide, now its more like 6 inches wide. does that mean the nem likes the lighting?

stretching can be a sign of lacking light. So can expansion of the nem. Imagine the anemone as a solar panel collecting light making energy. if the anemone expands himself to be big as possible he can catch more sun to make more energy. So your nem could be stertching outwards to collect what little light he can, or he's just a big sucker.

Same wih stretching toward the light, the closer to te source the stronger the light.

I know im new to this but i dont understand the comment about not using PC lighting unless you have experience. I know there is more that goes into it. But experience doesnt change the type of lighting.....

cheryl jordan

I have made a mistake and the advice I gave was bad. If I had known then what I know now about this particular post. I would have recommended that you re-evaluate your level of experience, do alot more research and stick with easy to care for animals like zoas, mushrooms and some soft corals. I can not redo what I adviced in the previous post, but I can recommend that unless you have advanced experience, that means years and years that you do not attempt to keep BTA under PC's. The new hobbyist usually have stock PC's with a AIO tanks. The problem aries in that Nano reefs can be unforgiving, water changes are a most and room for error is very narrow. There are so many varibles that go into keep any anemone thriving that only experience can provide. Cheryl

HAHA i am going to prove u wrong.(hopefully) the last time anemone died because i was away from home but this time i'll be on guard. :D

They also split as a means of self preservation.

northstar1357
Not spawning, cloning two completely different means of reproduction. Please do your research. :mellow:

why do they clone? is my tank bad? or good?

They reproduce that way.. you should know if your tank is bad or good.. Santa uses crappy test kits IME. ;)

They also split as a means of self preservation.
callmesaul8889

so stick a nem 3 inches under PC lighting(hypothetically it doesnt move), and target feed every other day... hypothetically of course, it would thrive?

i wish i could show this thread to my LFS, they keep everything under PC omgomgomg

northstar1357
so stick a nem 3 inches under PC lighting(hypothetically it doesnt move), and target feed every other day... hypothetically of course, it would thrive?

i wish i could show this thread to my LFS, they keep everything under PC omgomgomg

my nem is 2 inches below the water surface. an its loving it. my youtube video

. just imagine my nem tobe 2-3 times bigger than what it was 1 week ago. it grow super fast when i fed it fresh scallop. whn i feed it shrimp, not much response but they reach for scallops. and finsh it in less than 5 seconds. shrimp take 3-5 minutes to eat.

I ran skimmerless on a BC14 with stock lighting and brought mine from bleached to healthy in 5 months. I had only 5 months worth of experience when I got it. But I'm so addicted to this hobby that I did as much research as could possibly be done.

Only fed 1 silverside every Sunday.

oh.. as you can see, the date I joined NR is about 4 days after I brought it home lol.

callmesaul8889

thats so interesting to hear success stories with nems and PC lighting. people are so always so adamant about not keeping them in anything under T5s.. it is just better PC bulbs or more knowledgeable people in the hobby?

well the biocube has pretty powerful lighting, even if they are PC bulbs. I wrote down the par numbers in my tank before I did the switch.. i'll have to post them. Also BTAs are the hardiest little bastards you can get for nems.. I did just have this one cut into 4 pieces.

I wouldn't attempt any other kind besides a BTA though under PCs.

I have personally had good luck with nems under PC lighting. The last one I had I kept in a 15g tall tank when I first purchased it under a 96w PC fixture.

It was about 3" in width, and was fed 3 times a week. I noticed it growing larger, and later ended up moving it to my 55g tank under MH lighting. That is when I noticed the best results. Though it was kept well under PC lighting (even kept most of it's color and had a "happy spot" that it found) It was still the more intense lighting that seemed to make it happier.

On the subject at hand: I do think that with proper knowledge and care an anemone can be kept well under PC lighting, but would not suggest any or everyone to do so.

Even though mine had grown to about 10" in width, it looked the happiest under MH lighting, and after being in my 55g for almost a year it then began to clone.

If you are not planning on target feeding and closely watching water quality it will depend more on the light for survival. If you keep them under PC lighting they depend more on perfect water conditions and target feeding.

Also, I saw the post about feeding a nem some scallops... make sure if feeding them table seafoods you rinse them VERY well in RO water first.... I even rinse the shrimp that I feed my pom pom crab. It is good practice.

Best of luck on the nem!

callmesaul8889
Heres a noob question for ya-

Im setting up a 10g soon, its not an all in one. But anyway... I was thinking about getting http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_i...roducts_id=1838 when the tank was mature. Will this outgrow my tank?

callmesaul8889 -

LFS desert! Haha, I feel the same way.

lol yeah, i ended up driving 3 hours to find a LFS with tank raised clowns.

btw, that a cool nem.

hahaximmaxfish
lol yeah, i ended up driving 3 hours to find a LFS with tank raised clowns.

btw, that a cool nem.

Yeah, I lucked out. My lfs is only an hour away. :D

Thanks! :happy: I wanna get one but im afraid it will out grow the tank... 10g.

Archived