Innovative Marine Aquariums

MEW - Rimless Drop-off 10G

mew

thanks caesar~ i think i might look for some flame algae too, but i know there are people in SD who have that, so i'm going to look more local first. :happy: thanks for the offer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the scape so far.

Will you be using sand? (sorry if I missed it)

And ... dang, where the heck do you find Ochtodes? Everyone I PM never wants to give it up even though supposedly it's a fast grower. Good luck with the setup, it looks like an excellent start!

Very nice!

I was unaware that you were going to house things in there, but that's definitely a good idea. One thing that would be cool is if you had the front of a koralia pump sticking out from there, with a few grates on the top. Is circulation enough for the heater?

I do love the layout, and would love to see the guts of the system (if you haven't painted the back of the tank).

I like the scape so far.

Will you be using sand? (sorry if I missed it)

And ... dang, where the heck do you find Ochtodes? Everyone I PM never wants to give it up even though supposedly it's a fast grower. Good luck with the setup, it looks like an excellent start!

:happy: Thanks. I'm not 100% satisfied with the scape, but it'll work for now. Don't be surprised if I tweak it in the months to come.

I was thinking of going barebottom. I considered epoxying sand to the box and having sand on both top and bottom but it seems to be cleaner to go with no sand (easier to clean up after leftover food too). What do you guys think? Think it'll look better with or without sand? Both or just one side?

:) If I can grow out the octhodes fast enough, you'll be first on my list for some, Sushi. I had some initial loss when I first got mine, but I'm regrowing them out in a macro tank and they seem to grow fast. nips has got some too, to grow out, so you can try bothering him too. :lol:

Very nice!

I was unaware that you were going to house things in there, but that's definitely a good idea. One thing that would be cool is if you had the front of a koralia pump sticking out from there, with a few grates on the top. Is circulation enough for the heater?

I do love the layout, and would love to see the guts of the system (if you haven't painted the back of the tank).

I think it'll be enough circulation. I was just gonna stick a koralia regular style on the acrylic, but if it fits, I may consider having just the front stick out. Cool idea, thanks!

I'll post a pic of the back when I've made more progress (and before I cover it up with the window tint!)

How soon until this will be up and running? Also, sand up top or just the bottom or none?

Love it!

It's been a game of slow and steady wins the race! I do have the latter part of this week off and most of next week free too, so I hope to make a lot of progress in this time! I don't really want to rush the setup. I'm thinking livestock in and fully running by the next FTS due (middle of January) shouldn't be unreasonable?

Looks great. :happy:
Ok ok, you got me... I am following :)
That looks great Mew... :D
nice!
Awesome! Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

:wub: thanks~

oh yes! If you don't make this tank so pretty I wanna make love to it, then it is fail.

:huh: thanks? :lol:

Thanks for the tip on ochtodes, I'll keep my eye out otherwise I'll send you a PM eventually next year :P

I think it'll look better with sand (more natural), especially since you're doing the drop off style scaping. Barebottom would of course be best maintenance wise but if you can maintain a nice white sandbed I can see it providing some nice contrast and help brighten up the tank a bit.

Thanks mew about the 10g... I don't check my scnrs much... I've been following your thread too! Hope you win, this is gonna be a sick tank! Wish I knew about the contest in time :( started makig my tank same exact time.

Terrible typing on an iPhone.. Don't hate :)

I think it'll look better with sand (more natural), especially since you're doing the drop off style scaping. Barebottom would of course be best maintenance wise but if you can maintain a nice white sandbed I can see it providing some nice contrast and help brighten up the tank a bit.

+1

Go with the sand. A good clean up crew should be able to take care of it.

Reefcleaners.org = Great place to order a CUC!

Gordon

I was thinking of going barebottom. I considered epoxying sand to the box and having sand on both top and bottom but it seems to be cleaner to go with no sand (easier to clean up after leftover food too).

Are you planning to keep dendronephthya? The sand provides a good substrate for bacteria and a collecting place for detritus. Stirring this up daily seems to make my dendro happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Been a while! Hope it's been a great start to 2010 so far! :)

Been busy over the holidays, so I apologize about the lack of updates. I have to admit, between the holiday festives and the winter sniffles, I didn't accomplish too much with this tank. But here's what I worked on anyways!

mj-hole.gif

Excuse the creepy naked baby in the background.

water-test.png

Yes, those are acrylic dust flying around in the water.

I forgot the cover in the test run picture, but the cover also helps keep the wires organized.

I also got my light, which is a nifty LED fixture I found on ebay. Pretty good color, cheap and since I don't have to worry about PAR or anything with NPS, win! It's a silver color, but I think I'm going to get some black auto paint and give it a spray over.

Well, that's it for now, hopefully I can make another update this weekend or so. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So since the past post, the LR I've been curing separately went in, added some Prodibio and Brightwell for good measure, threw in water from my main tank and waited a while.

01152009-2.png

01152009.png

The color is not quite as blue and is brighter in person, but it's very hard to photograph LED lit tanks.

Archived