Cultivated Reef

Peninsula Style 30 breeder - ACAN TANK!

jjjo

I know what you mean. I put a couple torches in my 20l... the green one is just a baby but the purpley one can get huge on some days.

I got a very bright green branching hammer in the mail. Unfortunately it didn't do well at all and dies a couple days after the shipment but I left the skeleton in the tank just to see if something would grow back. Amazingly I have 2 hammer heads about the size of a pin head growing, I cant believe it.

So yea...anyway a hammer garden would be cool also, but if it were me I wouldn't be able to resist a torch in such and open tank like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

pink acans

pinkdreams.jpg

LA lakers

lalakersrasta.jpg

Red Lakers

redlakers.jpg

Hornets

hornet-1.jpg

Rastas

rasta.jpg

acro

acromacro.jpg

kedds

keddsredds.jpg

more zoos

morezoos.jpg

trach hungry!

hungrybrain.jpg

fish1

cardinal.jpg

sexy crab and snail

latenightfun.jpg

actinic zoo trio

smallzoofrags.jpg

mr yellow

yellow.jpg

FTS jan 29th

FTSjan29.jpg

thanks for looking!

dan

ughhhhh.....you had me until i saw that tang!! big fail

obviously by the time he is bigger... he will either be in my 90 when i set it up as a salt tank or when i upgrade to a 70rimless....

and secondly i KNEW tang police would be at the door knocking. i have been in the hobby for almost 7 years now. I KNOW TANGS DONT BELONG IN SMALL TANKS. but thanks for keeping everyone aware :) much better than most LFS information. props :)

-dan

Hey man, nice tank. What Nikon are you using? I got a D3000 recently - love it. Are there any good fish stores in Geneseo? I am in Rochester and there are two local stores that I rather like.

Also, don't sweat the tang people, I have one in my 40G and he is doing fine! I too have been in the hobby for close to a decade, and I know what fish can go where, and when a fish is looking stressed or healthy. I am sure you know what is best for your specimen and aquarium.

Anyway, good stuff man, keep it up! Maybe after our tanks mature we can meet up and trade some frags

Hey man, nice tank. What Nikon are you using? I got a D3000 recently - love it. Are there any good fish stores in Geneseo? I am in Rochester and there are two local stores that I rather like.

Also, don't sweat the tang people, I have one in my 40G and he is doing fine! I too have been in the hobby for close to a decade, and I know what fish can go where, and when a fish is looking stressed or healthy. I am sure you know what is best for your specimen and aquarium.

Anyway, good stuff man, keep it up! Maybe after our tanks mature we can meet up and trade some frags

oh wow! i didnt know you are in rochester! i go to TRS, caribbean and ABC pets in fairport ALL The time!

no shops in geneseo :( i get a lot of my corals from areefcreation in buffalo

Thanks!

As for the torches... i am still kind of so-so on the torches. i might do a hammer garden instead. (gotta get me a pink hammer, and a bright green hammer)

Torches pose a problem in my tank, due to the lack of a lot of rock, and the fact that the green torch i used to have can reach up to 2 feet long.

(not my pic... but its the same torch morph at a local museum)

torchtent.JPG

compare the tentacle length to the fish or other corals around it. (i believe the tank is 1700 gallons so everything looks smaller in it)

Is this the children's play museum in Rochester?... I love that tank and the smaller ones too..

Is this the children's play museum in Rochester?... I love that tank and the smaller ones too..

Yup, that's the torch in the big tank at the museum.

Yup, that's the torch in the big tank at the museum.

Thought it looked familiar. Last time I went I actually talked to the guy the "owns" those tanks... showed me the whole setup they have behind the scenes. It's pretty awesome. If only the wife would let me convert a wall of our house into a 1000 gallon...

I love this coral.

DSC_0009.jpg

Do you have a more recent picture?

That is a beautiful coral... What's it called? It kind of looks like Sully from Monsters, Inc.

Thought it looked familiar. Last time I went I actually talked to the guy the "owns" those tanks... showed me the whole setup they have behind the scenes. It's pretty awesome. If only the wife would let me convert a wall of our house into a 1000 gallon...

That is a beautiful coral... What's it called? It kind of looks like Sully from Monsters, Inc.

LOL I have to go back to the museum soon! its been like 6 months since Tad gave me a run down of the tank :) besides, i still owe tad some zoanthids.

anyway, that blue coral is a hydnophora. i think there are 2 strands going around my local area. one with longer tentacles.. and one with shorter. not sure tho...

anyway mine grows sooo slow. here is a closeup. it came right from the mother colony in my lfs 180 display tank. for those not local... it hitchhiked with some flourescent green hydnophora originally.

hydno-3.jpg

not my pic... just for reference. this is green hydno that im sure many of you know and love. (or hate because its very aggressive)

Hydnophora.JPG

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is a post valentines day update:

Got rid of a few corals, and also picked up some new ones :)

Got this as a cool freebie. I like it :)

cupcoral.jpg

better shot of the rainbow zoas

crazyzoos.jpg

new "mamer" coral

DSC_0015.jpg

Old brain 1

brain22k.jpg

The new brain

DSC_0027.jpg

FTS (diatoms all over the sand from flatworm exit)

newFTS.jpg

NaClCrocodile

I scoured my LFS's today. I really wish we could get some (I believe it's Tonga, no?) rock like that. Your aquascape is phenomenal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with reefer123 there. You have some great looking brains in your tank. Course that yellow hammer looks great also. I have to say +1 to the idea of a hammer garden. I'm really starting to like the look of the torches and hammers myself.

Thanks!!!

Small update time.

M'brain

openbrain.jpg

M'acan

acanresize.jpg

M'meteor shower

DSC_0008.jpg

M'flower Nem

rocknem.jpg

M'OLD FTS (new one posted soon)

ftswrongwhitebalance.jpg

Oh and just picked these up yesterday. hoping to add a slash of color to the tank

deepwaters.jpg

thanks for looking. more recent photos coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Can't wait for new photos. The tank is so nice and clean looking.

OK here are recent pics. A lot has changed since the photos above were taken.

FTS

FTSmarch13.jpg

Pink elephants

pinks.jpg

DAN zoos

Danzoos.jpg

Sky Blue hydnophora

hydno-4.jpg

RASTA

Rasta-1.jpg

Acan

acan1.jpg