Coral Vue Hydros

Peninsula Style 30 breeder - ACAN TANK!

jjjo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright all.

Here are way better pics. It opened up nice and good, and my brother has a better camera on his phone, than the person who took the older pics.

far away

1114091627.jpg

close up (good for a phone i think)

1114091615.jpg

thanks for looking,

dan

• 1 month later...

Christmas time update:

The tank has progressed nicely.

I just got the aquascape done at the beginning of this week.

before that though some coral shots with the new NIKON Dslr.

Blastomussa wellsi recovering nicely from its bout with cold shipping, and halide bleaching.

DSC_0007.jpg

Branching blue hydnophora likes the halides a lot... color wise. Polyp extension isnt as good as it was under t5 though.

DSC_0009.jpg

Branching creamsicle hammer doing ok.

hammer-1.jpg

FTS

xmasftsadslr.jpg

SPS corals coming as soon as coralline starts taking form on the rockwork. (and after i get new test kits and test the water)

thanks for looking, and merry christmas,

dan

did you end up doing the false wall in the back? if so hows it working out? im looking into upgrading to something like this... tanks looking real good too, love that minimal rock look

did you end up doing the false wall in the back? if so hows it working out? im looking into upgrading to something like this... tanks looking real good too, love that minimal rock look

thanks!

i ended up using a glass-holes kit for a drain. (drilled the tank instead of using a false wall)

-dan

I love breeder tanks. That aquascape is real unique looking. So how high did you end up putting the light? is there more than enough light spread to cover the entire tank?

The light coverage is good... however since the bulb is 2.5 feet above the water... the spillover is quite a bit. however, the halides are only on between 11am and 3pm so the spillover isnt even noticable.

Comparison between my old kodak and the new DSLR.

the difference is SOO VAST.

kodak

100_5668.jpg

DSLR (mind you this shot was a few days later... the water cleared up... and the corals opened better when this shot was taken) dslrfinal.jpg

I love how u don' use much rock in your tanks :)

Beautiful!

Thanks! I'm not sure if i already said this, but indeed i DO NOT like cluttered overly full tanks full of rock. too much rock looks good when there are no corals. but once corals grow in... too much rock can prove to be a major problem :)

There is only a grand total of 6.6lbs of rock in the display tank.

Are those marco rocks? (sorry if you've already answered this)

Also, how are you planning on keeping your sand tidy in the long run?

They are live rocks... called totoka rock or something like it.

I have a conch that eats literally all the algae off the sand. I plan on either getting a goby, a cucumber, or nassarius snails to further enhance sand-bed care. Occasionally I will stir a small portion of the bed up while doing a water-change to remove detritus. If coralline starts encrusting on the sandgrains... i will siphon some of the sand out, and put new sand in.

Sounds great.

The rocks definitely look live, I only asked cuz you don't really see those unique shapes too often. Marco Rocks are very similar in shape to that but is considered dry rock, and I haven't yet heard of Totoka rock yet, but it sure looks awesome in your scape!

Thanks for the info :)

Sounds great.

The rocks definitely look live, I only asked cuz you don't really see those unique shapes too often. Marco Rocks are very similar in shape to that but is considered dry rock, and I haven't yet heard of Totoka rock yet, but it sure looks awesome in your scape!

Thanks for the info :)

Thanks. And no problem. It took me an hour at the fish store, digging through 3 different tanks of Live Rock to find those 7 pieces of rock i have in my 30br.

haha thanks!

up close shots. Recovering corals.

when i got it (in the old tank)

blasto.jpg

it bleached out from the new halides.

and now its about 80% back to health... both color wise, and shipping damage wise.

blastomussa-1.jpg

And here is mr brain

brain-2.jpg

lost a quite a bit of color from the halides. I came home and he was in pretty bad shape. I took this today. 2 weeks of being in low light now. Coming back nicely!

thanks.

Since most of the torches i had are rather common in my area... i sold them off to pay for the new upgrade.

I might get another bright green one again soon.

thanks.

Since most of the torches i had are rather common in my area... i sold them off to pay for the new upgrade.

I might get another bright green one again soon.

Do that, that tank needs a torch or two. I liked the ones you had in your other tank a lot. This is coming along nicely!

Do that, that tank needs a torch or two. I liked the ones you had in your other tank a lot. This is coming along nicely!

Thanks!

As for the torches... i am still kind of so-so on the torches. i might do a hammer garden instead. (gotta get me a pink hammer, and a bright green hammer)

Torches pose a problem in my tank, due to the lack of a lot of rock, and the fact that the green torch i used to have can reach up to 2 feet long.

(not my pic... but its the same torch morph at a local museum)

torchtent.JPG

compare the tentacle length to the fish or other corals around it. (i believe the tank is 1700 gallons so everything looks smaller in it)

Archived