Top Shelf Aquatics

Name our Business Contest -WINNER!

johnmaloney

makes sense, based on your locale. so you're planning on a little bit of everything then? fish and corals? or are you going to specialize in something? how are you differentiating yourself from the competition? I appreciate that you don't necessarily need to turn a profit, but even if your goal is to break even you'll likely need a hook, so to speak. a store specifically for large, show-quality tangs, triggers, angels, wrasses etc would be a sight to see...

sorry for the third degree, just curious. my business may have folded, but consulting is still where my heart is. :)

I prefer the 3rd degree, we will specialize in cleaners and macro, as you could imagine....our competition has good selection in that area, but no idea what each cleaner eats, and I think we will have a leg up there. On the macro front...they only have shaving brushes so...we should have an edge there. Additionally live foods, will be a feature. Gut loaded brine vs. regular useless brine, live shore shrimp, live algae, rotifers, pods, fresh plankton and cultures, etc... We will also stock every freeze dried ingredient imaginable, and make custom mixes per the customers request.

water testing, parameter correction (one gallon of saltwater mixed to a level that will bring up there parameters to boost their saltwater mixes, etc...we will also sell SW, that seems to be a mainstay in the area..)

I like that model, because I am used to it, and also because there are a lot of "routine" purchases to be made. Come to us first for your salt, food, cleaning, and water testing, and check out the fish and coral while you are here...etc...

Coral will go both ways, reasonably priced colonies, dirt cheap frags (low margins at least), and as much of it aquacultured as I can possibly get.

They already got a large show fish store in the area....but angels and non-reef safe wrasses are a favorite of mine, and I would make them a feature of the fish section, a small predator section and the bulk nano-fish and that should about round it out.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maloney Cove

Maloney Cove Reef

Maloney Cove Reef Shop

Maloney Reef

Maloney Reef Shop

Maloney Marine

Maloney Marine Shop

Maloney Marine Cove

Maloney Marine Reef

Maloney Marine Cove Reef

Maloney Marince Cove Reef Shop

...just trying to cover all my bases! ;) Did I miss any?

I prefer the 3rd degree, we will specialize in cleaners and macro, as you could imagine....our competition has good selection in that area, but no idea what each cleaner eats, and I think we will have a leg up there. On the macro front...they only have shaving brushes so...we should have an edge there. Additionally live foods, will be a feature. Gut loaded brine vs. regular useless brine, live shore shrimp, live algae, rotifers, pods, fresh plankton and cultures, etc... We will also stock every freeze dried ingredient imaginable, and make custom mixes per the customers request.

water testing, parameter correction (one gallon of saltwater mixed to a level that will bring up there parameters to boost their saltwater mixes, etc...we will also sell SW, that seems to be a mainstay in the area..)

I like that model, because I am used to it, and also because there are a lot of "routine" purchases to be made. Come to us first for your salt, food, cleaning, and water testing, and check out the fish and coral while you are here...etc...

Coral will go both ways, reasonably priced colonies, dirt cheap frags (low margins at least), and as much of it aquacultured as I can possibly get.

They already got a large show fish store in the area....but angels and non-reef safe wrasses are a favorite of mine, and I would make them a feature of the fish section, a small predator section and the bulk nano-fish and that should about round it out.

I say you move to Sonoma County and opoen it here :lol:

East Coast Reefs

East Coast Reefers

Tide Bay Reefs

Open Waters

Glass Oceans

East Coast Aquariums

Sea Side Supplies

Ocean View Aquariums

Shore Line Reefs

Reef Key's

The Reef Stop

that's all for now. Sorry if some of them overlap with others already said I didn't read through all the titles people submitted.

Yeah I wouldn't go with freshwater either, all the newer store owners that I know that have freshwater have regretted putting them in. Also, you don't need a really big place in order for it to be nice. I've been to so many stores where they have more space than they need and practically empty tanks just sitting around. And try to keep it simple, the stores that have nice corals and nice fish, but don't go crazy with all kinds of exotic livestock and high prices are the ones that fair the best over time.

Yeah, we came up with a ton of names before we settled in on ours. I think its best to pick a name that describes what you're doing/selling. Of course I've had a few people thinking I'm growing a different type of reef, but that's bound to happen. I know there's more than a couple people on this site that would like to be able to get their reef and reefer at the same store. lol

nice, sounds like a good plan - well rounded, but based on staples to drive repeat business. I wish we had a store like that here. :)

A Affordable Aquatics

You'll be first on the yellow pages. ;)

oooh...that is good thinking...there is a ton of "Aquatic this...Aqua that...", but "F" comes before "Q" last I checked. :)

reef goddess - yeah that is what i am thinking....the internet customer kind of skews the market in a way...I mean most tanks are FOWL or just FO, and most people aren't into crazy named SPS and all that...not everyone is an addict. Plus keeping it simple is nice....either way, it should be fun.

We decided on a generic name for the online shop, and I think it has served us well, after thinking about it, we will probably use Reef Cleaners, if we go the tank service route...but I like being around hobbyists, and except for the one or two times "not sure how all this algae happened but we could use a pro this week", most hobbyists handle their own tanks, and I feel like I will just be working in restaurants...there is money in it, but for me as long as I pay my bills and enjoy what I do I am happy...maybe get an employee to do it. ;)

jeremai- thank you so much for your free advice! I really appreciate and respect it. One last question before you bill me, do you think an LFS can operate without selling tanks? The way I see it is that tanks take up too much room that can be used for a tank with livestock...but then I wonder if I will be losing out on the LR, sand etc...and the opportunity to teach the new hobbyist about the cycle etc..

bluefunelement

JMEIEIO

John Maloney's Exotic Invert Export/Import Online

been a long day - thx for the macros and inverts - I'll get another order when the small nerites are in and get some fuzzy caulerpa too

there are two of them? i should right him by the way...

:) I see...eh...I got 2 hours of sleep since Monday, take it easy on me...just another 114 emails to go and then lights out see you thursday night probably. :)

Archived