Pod Your Reef

Name our Business Contest -WINNER!

johnmaloney

Snail Depot :P

You forgot Deep Reef Supply haha

Thats too bad, you sure did get a lot of ideas to work with. So is the new store gonna be basically the same with mostly cleaner stuff or a full fledged shop with fish and everything?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well good luck in your new place! One piece of advice, whatever you name it, keep it short, sweet, and easy to spell. For me a lot of people don't know how to spell "gardener", but I stuck with it anyway. :P

Here's mine:

Coral Creatures

Coral Castle

Underwater Land

Maloney's Mermaid

Sea Inside

Reef Dreams

Neptune's Garden

The Coral Reef Store

Kiss My Wrasse

Smoking Reefs

Big Tuna Aquariums (need mascot)

Turtle Cove

Titanic Tanks

Angel Haven

Blue Lagoon Reefs

Gulfstream Corals

Treasure Coast Corals

sea inside!...(you are a name machine) used to be a pet store in FL, but now out of biz...no domain name though...stupid markmonitor is protecting the movie "sea inside" no one saw...1.8 mil box office...why protect that.... :huh:

:)

Snail Depot :P

You forgot Deep Reef Supply haha

Thats too bad, you sure did get a lot of ideas to work with. So is the new store gonna be basically the same with mostly cleaner stuff or a full fledged shop with fish and everything?

there are some others too...JM SOmething or other...was thinking of having a little FW section...not sure on that though...

store will be full blown. lack of dry goods though probably...i am going to make a partition for ReefCleaners, I don't want locals cherry picking the company that bought the store

Sea Inside is on the short list too....damn I bet she has a lot of tanks to clean though...:)

JM's Aquariums? what do you think? (For a place with FW and SW...if we go that route...still looking into that market...)the local FW competition is weak in one spot, (PETCO/PET SUPERMARKET), but very strong and I wouldn't mess with it in the other locale...(ran by a cichlid breeder) Business decisions suck...Would be nice to just make it as big as possible, damn the expense and have everything I want, just because I want it....My consultant says that is not how it works though....

i was just thinking JMs Aquariums rhymed to some extent...but yeah I can see what you are saying...

we will keep our niche on the net, and will probably do just SW, 98% sure...I was just excited today when I saw some breathtaking FW tanks...you would understand the feeling if you saw these. After a good night's sleep it will wear off....or do you mean keep with the cleaners niche? I am thinking there are some flaws with that like:

how many CUCs can be sold in one area

keeping lots of film/diatom/cyano etc.. eating creatures requires you to actually grow that stuff or they starve, stock rotation is just not possible on a larger scale on those items...well i guess it is, but it is difficult...but then people see a dirty tank, and some dont get that is what you are doing on purpose...

and also...I really like fish, and this is a job of choice, and I kind of want to be able to keep tons of fish, even if it is only briefly...

would like to hear your feedback though...your opinion is highly regarded. but on the net, we are staying with the niche, maybe just a few things out of the niche to help soften shipping but that is about it.

bluenassarius
These sound like strip clubs...

whats the cover charge? any nekked mermaids? :lol:

props to you john for wanting to open a LFS. it takes alot of dedication to run one. wish you the best of luck in your venture.

JM's Aquariums? what do you think? (For a place with FW and SW...if we go that route...still looking into that market...)the local FW competition is weak in one spot, (PETCO/PET SUPERMARKET), but very strong and I wouldn't mess with it in the other locale...(ran by a cichlid breeder) Business decisions suck...Would be nice to just make it as big as possible, damn the expense and have everything I want, just because I want it....My consultant says that is not how it works though....

I like JM Aquariums...does this mean I win :lol: ?

I suppose the decision hasn't been made yet.

bluenassarius
:) now there is a business....would have to be a big tank though...:(

bah, water just clouds the view .. they got mermaids down there? :P

:) now there is a business....would have to be a big tank though...:(

bah, water just clouds the view .. they got mermaids down there? :P

I meant the marine niche, not the cleaners niche. around here anyway, a lot of places are getting rid of fresh altogether in favor of frag tanks and marine fishes. think of it this way: the average price for a saltwater fish would be about thirty bucks. the average price for a freshwater fish is, what, a couple bucks?

same when comparing freshwater plants to corals. there's a higher profit margin in saltwater. maybe if you make a tiny fresh section super-specialized (pygmy albino gouramis with pink-rimmed caudal fins, for instance) it could work, but I think you would be better off focusing on saltwater only, from a profit/loss perspective.

also, will you have any local competition specializing in endemic livestock? if not, think about setting up a small system for FL-only livestock; if not to directly sell, then as a display, say 40g or so. macros, gorgonians, rics, maybe a condi, etc. the biotopic presentation may appeal to a lot of people, and it could be a cool way to 'represent'.

bluenassarius

you might want to stock goldfish. there was a LFS owner in the bay area making a killing on em. it wasn't the goldfish that was making the bucks, it was all the accessories they bought along with it. plastic plants, gravel, tank, filter etc etc etc.

"maloney's got crabs?"

(yes with a question mark!)

don't know if john is married but his wife might not dig that dba

Since Weeite & I have taken down our prop tanks, we might be enticed with a custom CUC to give you

Reef Chick's Coral Kitchen

Good luck with the new store. I'll have to check it out on my next trip down---whenever that is.

I meant the marine niche, not the cleaners niche. around here anyway, a lot of places are getting rid of fresh altogether in favor of frag tanks and marine fishes. think of it this way: the average price for a saltwater fish would be about thirty bucks. the average price for a freshwater fish is, what, a couple bucks?

same when comparing freshwater plants to corals. there's a higher profit margin in saltwater. maybe if you make a tiny fresh section super-specialized (pygmy albino gouramis with pink-rimmed caudal fins, for instance) it could work, but I think you would be better off focusing on saltwater only, from a profit/loss perspective.

also, will you have any local competition specializing in endemic livestock? if not, think about setting up a small system for FL-only livestock; if not to directly sell, then as a display, say 40g or so. macros, gorgonians, rics, maybe a condi, etc. the biotopic presentation may appeal to a lot of people, and it could be a cool way to 'represent'.

you make a point...will be SW only...another guy who sold me marineland systems told me that adding FW was the worst thing he did because he became "just another aquarium store" in the minds of his customers...not that he is a mind reader but...I respect the guy's opinion all the same...

I love the Caribbean stuff, and will feature some of it, but the downfall to Florida species are:

1. they go for much, much less down here (not too much of a problem, reef cleaners can keep the store in biz, the rest is icing and I plan on being reasonable anyway)

2. people go out and collect their own -really dilutes the value of Atlantic species

3. my license doesn't cover most things, so i am buying them wholesale anyway, for about the same price for Pacific critters......working on changing that...Would love to be licensed to catch fish, lots of fun, (at least when you aren't barrier netting), and there is far less stress on them than through normal channels....But, I do know some MLE divers, and while the ocean creates all things equal, there is vast differences in quality based on the source. I would like all the Atlantic stuff to come straight from some divers I trust...I would rather skip the wholesaler, even though the prices from these guys are usually the same if not higher than the wholesaler.

With things like gorgs, and zoas it is easy to see, but after awhile you can tell the difference in the behavior of fish that come from guy A vs. guy B. Sometimes guy A crowds his tank, never pays them much attention and is aggressive with collection, and those fish are skiddish..guy B takes a better approach and his fish aren't scared of you at all etc...well I am rambling...time to get some sleep...

But...sales of Pacific species pay the bills...the market in FL is way different that way.

But...sales of Pacific species pay the bills...the market in FL is way different that way.

makes sense, based on your locale. so you're planning on a little bit of everything then? fish and corals? or are you going to specialize in something? how are you differentiating yourself from the competition? I appreciate that you don't necessarily need to turn a profit, but even if your goal is to break even you'll likely need a hook, so to speak. a store specifically for large, show-quality tangs, triggers, angels, wrasses etc would be a sight to see...

sorry for the third degree, just curious. my business may have folded, but consulting is still where my heart is. :)

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Here are names my wife has been rambling at me for the past half hour lol :lol:

Sea It Your Way

Salt In Your Eye

Coastal Creations

Everyday Saltwater

Everyday Reefing

Searoic Lifestyle

Maloney's Abalone

From Sand to Sea

Tank You Very Much

Sealight (play on Skylight)

Nobody has Brind Like Mine

Something to Sea

I C U (Intensive Coral Unit)

Cleaner Reefs

Johns Reef Supply

Big Johns Reef supply

Big Johnnys Reef

John's Maloney presents: Reeftown

Reeftown

Saltwater Critter Crews

Reef Supplies

Trace Elements

Trace Element Reefs

Maloney's Reef

Reef Store

Im tryin to get some free stufff

These sound like strip clubs...

Mermaid's Champagne Room

Old Salt Creep

JM & Sons Family Owned Local Business Saltwater And Neighborhood Marine (sounds established, imo)

Prized Marine

Mermaid's Garden (was that already said?)

Emerald Ocean

Sapphire Marine

Archived