Innovative Marine Aquariums

Systemtool's 36gal Reef

systemtool

Hey Dave,

Whats up, are you back in k-town for school yet? I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. My tank has a bad case of summer neglect. I wanted to switch my tank over to a shallow rimless.. but I don't think thats going to happen. Might get a 40 breeder and drill it. I have all the junk to hook up my sump, but don't want to run a HOB overflow and flood my basement.

Yeah just got back to my house and within a week i have water flowing in the tank, but i don't have salt or anything so i can't start my cycle. So annoying, you don't have salt do you? I contacted Jim but he hasn't replied yet. I also need like a basic test kit, my old one is expired. I'll just do a big order with Jim I think as soon as he gets back to me.

Take a day to clean up your existing tank, maybe take everything out and do a new aquascape. I always find that gives me a little more vigor! If you still want to go bigger then, I'll come over and help you do the move.

Is your basement rug or wood?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave, did you get your tank all set up? I haven't changed mine much, its still kickin, but not lookin as good as it used to. I'm hardly ever in my basement, which is the problem. I need to put it in the living room or kitchen or something so I look after it. The floor is ceramic tile.. so its not that bad for spilled water.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Havent updated for a while, so here is a New FTS, changed out my bulbs to Giesemann powerchromes. I was getting lots of algae and cyano growing, which I think is from my garbage bulbs (current USA stock ones). The new bulbs look good, and all my corals seem happier.

ftspowerchrome-1.jpg

I also had to split up my pair of Ocellaris clowns, the female was going all 'domestic disturbance' on the smaller male. This is normal, and they usually work out their dominance issues after a day or two, but she had his fins nipped ragged, and he was hiding in the rock work all day/night. She's in the "sin bin" now, a 10 gal tank with a bad sixline wrasse and some weed-like paly's.

• 2 months later...
WillWork4Frags
Havent updated for a while, so here is a New FTS, changed out my bulbs to Giesemann powerchromes. I was getting lots of algae and cyano growing, which I think is from my garbage bulbs (current USA stock ones). The new bulbs look good, and all my corals seem happier.

ftspowerchrome-1.jpg

I also had to split up my pair of Ocellaris clowns, the female was going all 'domestic disturbance' on the smaller male. This is normal, and they usually work out their dominance issues after a day or two, but she had his fins nipped ragged, and he was hiding in the rock work all day/night. She's in the "sin bin" now, a 10 gal tank with a bad sixline wrasse and some weed-like paly's.

Tanks looks good and nicely stocked. Have you tried the two day lights out method to battle the algae and cyano? Thanks for the update.

Archived