inTank Media Baskets

Systemtool's 36gal Reef

systemtool

systemtool

Yeah, the skeleton was showing for a day or so, but it came back. Its kind of browned out now though. Not like it was when I got it.

The chalice I got is doin pretty well tho, its growing down around the frag plug its on.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
systemtool

Pretty bored at work today.. thought I would post some new pics. Also decided to figure out how to embed pics.. seems people don't really like clicking all the stupid thumbnails.. sorry. lol

Here is my fish room, there are two tanks in here.. but you can only see one

fishroom2.jpg

Here is another pic.. new BBQ!

fishroom.jpg

My tank looks nowhere near that blue in person.. white balance? Not to sure how to change that,.

systemtool

New tank inhabitants today.. red fromia star and some scarlet hermits.. might be a bloods and crips war in my tank between the red and blue hermits!!

systemtool

Charged my camera and took some pics of the fromia star and scarlets from yesterday.

Best pic of the starfish I could get.. he was in a wierd spot.

DSC02170.jpg

Here is one of the new scarlet hermits

DSC02179.jpg

My green watermelon mushroom was floating around my tank when I got home tonight, must have detached itself from the rock to go on tour.. had to catch it...

DSC02172.jpg

...and anchor him down!

DSC02184.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
systemtool

Something chewed up my starfish's legs today. Not sure what did it.. my anenome also moved across my tank and parked in the LR at the back of the tank.

battle ravaged starfish.. he is still alive and moving along, but he's seen better days.

DSC02207.jpg

Here is the smallest of by GBTA's, it split off in September I think, just a lil fella!

DSC02192.jpg

Here is the bigger of the BTA's. It is about 6" across. There is a huge empty spot where it was now! :angry:

DSC02194.jpg

Any idea what would eat the starfish, or if the BTA moving could damage the legs like that? I have the usual suspects, but didnt see anything near it (Hermits, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny.)

systemtool

tumbleweed.jpg

Do I have to put a tang in my nano to get some replies? Lol..

Oh, forgot to add that when I banded that green mushroom onto the shell (see pic above), it split in half. Bonus.

Sadly, no.. I wish I knew the names of them. I have slowly started looking at some chalices myself. The ones I have have very long feeder tentacles for their size, it's nuts and they love the bottom of the tank.

How is your starfish doing? Any idea what it was that decided to make a tasty snack out of it?

rocko52286
I think I hold the record for most consecutive posts by someone in their own thread. Loser! hahaha

:(

I dunno...look at mine Rocko's Tank haha

Sweet tank man. I like your starfish, hope he makes it.

systemtool

Thanks for the replies! I haven't seen my starfish in a day or so, I think whatever started on him must have finished the job overnight. I didn't see anything near him all day though. mystery for sure.

Did you get your Chalice from Jim Nebthet? He has tons of SPS&LPS frags right now, there are a couple chalice frags left too. I really like the two I got. If you look on the first page there is another brown chalice with green and neon orange eyes. Slowly building my chalice collection!

No, I got my chalice frags from Reef to Reef from the sps order I did with him. I want to get up to Jim's again some time, once I get my settlement in I am gonna be making a huuuuge purchase as I want to find a couple difference elegance with pink tip and purple tips, I also want to get some different clams.

Sorry to hear about your starfish, that really sucks.. I wonder if you have a type of shrimp in there that went after him or something.

systemtool

just a cleaner and a peppermint.. might have been the peppermint shrimp maybe.. they are carnivores.. and he did a good job on any aiptasia in my tank.

Nice.. Jim is getting in ORA clams from the marshall islands soon. He has an awesome maxima clam that has a fluorscent green rim around the mantle. very cool. If I had better lights I would have bought it!

Nice.. hopefully that clam will still be there when I go... and hopefully he will have the ORA Deresa's in there too. That would be awsome. I am gonna try to get 4 peppermint shrimp from him too to deal with the aiptasia in the tank... so gotta get that under control.

I am glad the peppermint are working for the aiptasia... when you look at the pics on my thread they are an understatment for the amount of aiptasia that are in there.. I am probably bordering on close to 300 or more large and small ones.. so I have to do some thing soon. Aiptasia X and all the syringe injection methods haven't worked at all in the long term. They go away for about two weeks and then are back. Soo frustrating.

Still no problems with the file fish you had too? Those look interesting, and I worry about them going after sps polyps since mine have been finally growing since Feb.

Do you have any plans for adding any different corals or fish like Acans?

systemtool
I am glad the peppermint are working for the aiptasia... when you look at the pics on my thread they are an understatment for the amount of aiptasia that are in there.. I am probably bordering on close to 300 or more large and small ones.. so I have to do some thing soon. Aiptasia X and all the syringe injection methods haven't worked at all in the long term. They go away for about two weeks and then are back. Soo frustrating.

Still no problems with the file fish you had too? Those look interesting, and I worry about them going after sps polyps since mine have been finally growing since Feb.

Do you have any plans for adding any different corals or fish like Acans?

I didn't get a filefish, though jim had 4 or 5 them recently. Apparently they work, but you need to keep feeding them aiptasia, otherwise they will go after corals or good anenomes.

I am getting hooked on chalices lately.. they are such great colours. They seem to do well in my tank too. I got the one frag of encrusting monti, but its completely browned out now. I want to try some normal red monti cap and see what it does.

As for more corals and fish, I don't really plan on adding more fish right now. I was planning on upgrading my whole system to a shallow rimless custom tank. I really want to get a Kole tang, cuz they are amazing, but I kinda wanted to stay with 36" in length for the tank. It was going to be 36"x24"x14" high, around 53 gallons. Would probably get flamed on here for putting a Kole tang in there.. so not sure if I'm going to do it or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean about liking the footprint of the 36"x18" tanks.. they give you a lot of options for the livestock you want to put in them and are a relatively small size so they are not taking up all the room in your home. So it looks like then that your tank is about the same size that mine is. Mine is just a little taller perhaps.

Chalices are really cool. I find I have to keep them on the bottom of my tank where there is lower flow and lighting. I am wanting to round thing out in my tank with a few more clams.. a maxima and deresa, then get another elegance for the back left where I have a tonne of space.

I think you will do well with a normal red monticap, or any other color of one. They grow really well. Mine has anyways. I am almost out of room for sps now so that is sort of a good thing.. LOL.

How has your tank been doing recently? Pix?

• 2 months later...

Hey SystemTool!

I remembered your tank from last year, Damn! It looks a lot better these days. How are things going? I'm starting mine up again, my goal is to get her established by Christmas... Post some pics! I need to get inspired i just spent all day cleaning my old tank and equipment. I'll be starting a new thread soon when there's some water to speak of.

D

Yes, I agree, a big update is needed with lots of pictures of your tank please!! :D

Yippee Illuminato, I am so glad you are coming back to the hobby. Can't wait to see the progress.

Hey Dave,

Whats up, are you back in k-town for school yet? I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. My tank has a bad case of summer neglect. I wanted to switch my tank over to a shallow rimless.. but I don't think thats going to happen. Might get a 40 breeder and drill it. I have all the junk to hook up my sump, but don't want to run a HOB overflow and flood my basement.

Archived