Top Shelf Aquatics

best place to order live rock?

nitrofish1

i have a pencil that came on my sealife rock. love it. i'm still having things pop up out of that rock.

i guess thats really my other tank theme option, is pencil urchins. yet i dont have a protein skimmer for the tank, i have a tank "overflow" skimmer though. and i dont know if id want them to be eating up my hard corraline algae on nice live rock.

my issue is that the tank will be set up for about one and a half years at the max. and i would really hate to move a zoanthid reef, but a pencil urchin setup is more realistic of an option for me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i guess thats really my other tank theme option, is pencil urchins. yet i dont have a protein skimmer for the tank, i have a tank "overflow" skimmer though. and i dont know if id want them to be eating up my hard corraline algae on nice live rock.

my issue is that the tank will be set up for about one and a half years at the max. and i would really hate to move a zoanthid reef, but a pencil urchin setup is more realistic of an option for me.

bump

i have a pencil that came on my sealife rock. love it. i'm still having things pop up out of that rock.

Me too! I just found out one of my rocks is covered in tiny orange tunicates.

bump

Quit stalling and buy your rock already! :P

Me too! I just found out one of my rocks is covered in tiny orange tunicates.

Quit stalling and buy your rock already! :P

ill need a loan from you :P

id personally reccomend getting the seed from sealifeinc. and then getting the dry rock from reefcleaners. get the best of both worlds and the rock form him dry wont cause a cycle. =)

id personally reccomend getting the seed from sealifeinc. and then getting the dry rock from reefcleaners. get the best of both worlds and the rock form him dry wont cause a cycle. =)

ill prolly still be going with just regular rocks vs. a mix

ill need a loan from you :P

Haha! Welcome to reefing :) I think the cost factor keeps most of us from moving faster than we should and that's probably a good thing.

Haha! Welcome to reefing :) I think the cost factor keeps most of us from moving faster than we should and that's probably a good thing.

right now on my list of things to buy is tools. the tank is waiting

Not that I have much experiance buying rock becides a few pounds for my picotope from my lfs.

I tend to agree with SbCaes.

Becides reefcleaners (not that I dont want to support them. In the end I will 100% end up gitting it from them HA) there was another website that people spoke highly of selling macro rocks.

Anyone have a clue ?

EDIT: Took me 0.02 seconds to find the site lol. Its marcorocks.com if anyone is intrested.

dont do it... someone on a diferent forums got it and never got there live rock

ahh thats scary. so is sea life inc the best? i just want some good rock for cheap

how much is shipping at sealife for you guys that have ordered, im interested in maybe 10lbs to the midwest?

it says

"Live sand and live rocks are not included in the $25 shipping and handling price (but not mention of a $25 shipping price anywhere above). A ballpark estimate for shipping is $1.20 a pound for two day or priority mail, and about $2.250 a pound for FedEx Standard Overnight. We recommend overnight because it is live rock and we want it to stay that way."

then lower it says

"The current ballpark estimate for shipping is between $20 and $25 for the first pound with subsequent pounds costing $2.75 for overnight and 1.75 for two day. We recommend overnight for the live rock and Two-Day or Priority Mail for the sand and base rock."

im guessing its $20-25 + $1.xx per pound rather than a fairly flat $1.xx per lb?

I just ordered more last night -

#30 lbs shipped overnight to Michigan - 180.00

The shipping is the kicker - had I gone two day it would have been about $30 or so bucks cheaper.

I don't mind paying $6 a pound for the sheer amount of goodness on the rock. Heck I've gotten "premium" stuff that was $8 a lb that is about the same.

Just an update from the above post -

I ended up ordering 20 lbs and some other stuff (Coral Banded Shrimp, Yellow headed Jawfish, Macro Algae), and with shipping of the live rock and the livestock, it came out to be about $200.00

I'm hoping fed-ex delivers it soon today (Got work in about two hours). I'll take pics once it gets here.

Archived