inTank Media Baskets

Refugium Mud

johnmaloney

ReefCleaners brand Live Refugium Mud is the real deal, and has been tested on the most diverse array of seagrasses and algae kept in the hobby. We think our product is better for growing the flora you want in your tanks, because we are in the business of doing just that.

What this product is -an in-house grown LIVE mud substrate that is designed to facilitate the growth of macro algae in your refugium, or macro tank. Because it is comprised of mostly fine sediment, (and finely crushed shell to promote water transfer), it will provide a large amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize, and will reach anaerobic conditions by itself within 1-1.5 inches.

What this product is not - a strange way to dose your aquarium with trace elements every so often. (although it does have the nutrient capacity to grow macro algae, this is not a product to use for dosing, use chemicals or water changes to keep your trace elements in check). It is also live in the sense it has not been packaged overseas in a container, shipped to a distributor and finally to the retailer's shelves. It is fresh, live, mud. Taken from the tank on the day of shipment and sent to your door.

What you should know - as a live substrate that has to endure shipping, it should be cycled, just in case there is die off, which would contribute to the nitrogen cycle. This can be done in a bucket, or in a refugium that has been plumbed out of the system temporarily. NEVER pour this product directly from the shipping bag into an established tank, this hobby is not about taking unwarranted risks, it is about patience. If the tank is new, (brand new or in the process of cycling, no livestock), than that is fine, otherwise it needs to be "cured".

Where this mud comes from - it is not harvested from the wild, we have always felt that the sea floor is something to leave undisturbed, and we intend to stick by that principle. It is grown from a blend of fine dry sand in our macro holding tanks.

FAQS-

So how is mud grown? Sorry, I know you have legitimate reasons for asking us, but we cannot divulge trade secrets. I do apologize for that.

Do I need this product to grow macro algae? No, it isn't necessary, but it is helpful. In a young tank it should improve the growth of seagrasses.

Does this product need to be re-charged like other muds? - No. Set it in and let it develop further.

Should I worry about anoxia with this product since it comprised of fine sediments? Yes, if you make the mud portion of your substrate to deep. Please do not go past 1.5 inches in your tank with this product.

How much does it cost? The mud itself is only $1.50 a pound. To make the "shipped to your door" price efficient we are packing it in Flat Rate Boxes from USPS. They hold about 10 pounds of product. So with the shipping cost near $10, the total price of a box of mud comes to $25.

Can we apply discounts to this product? Unfortunately no, because a good portion of the price is for shipping.

Additional information and a photo of the mud can be found here:

Live Refugium Mud.

We stand behind this product, and hope your refugium will benefit from its potential.

Thank you for your interest in ReefCleaners.org!

John Maloney

cool enough! with your stature in this area of the hobby I would be more than willing to send it to you gratis if you would provide us with an unbiased opinion on the product after it has had time to produce results.

Awesome stuff John. too bad i used that "other stuff" when i setup my fuge... <_<

now i can touch it until i upgrade and that wont be for at least another year...

one question though. could i just put it into a deep container and place it in my sump?

if so...ill be willing to buy some. ;)

you could, what are you trying to use it for? Just denitrification? You would want to cut it with a coarse sand mix, this mud is pretty fine and if you go too deep you risk causing anoxic pockets. In these areas that are basically void of oxygen, hydrogen sulfide develops which is potentially deadly. If the pocket is left alone, it doesn't seem to be too much of a threat, I have seen it in a few DSBs, (very noticeable black layer), and they mange to survive. However, if stirred the hydrogen sulfide can potentially cause fish kills. It isn't something that is only a risk factor with mud, it is a risk factor in all DSBs, but with fine sand it is an issue at a shallower depth. So if you were to place it in a deep container... I would cut it with coarse sand. Especially if you were trying to grow mangroves in it or something of that nature - something with deep roots. If it is just for denitrification only, I would say that any fine sand would do the trick, this is a medium for growing, and you could get the benefits from denitrification through a less expensive product. (Not that I think the price on this is high -:) This stuff takes a lot of work) - just that if you don't need the benefit of the growing medium, than this product would be inefficient.

Oh i see. yeah because i got the stupid fiji mud and miracle mud which both seemed deviod of any active bacta or fauna. <_< now its stuck in my fuge and im pretty sure its developed anoxic pockets because the sand/mud bed is like 3 inches deep. thats exactly why i cant change this stuff out. one more thing. do anoxic pockets look red/maroon around the rim of the pocket. ill try to get some pix so that you could confirm that it is or isnt a anoxic pocket. thanks for the info john!

well I dont want to say anything about the other muds....

what you are describing sounds like a cyano layer. would like to see a picture though. If you do have anoxic pockets, A little, (and I do mean a little), disruption every other day or so breaks it up, you can also remove some of the soil on the top each day, and that will eventually introduce oxygen to the lower layers.

I'm interested in this since I'm planning a Display Refugium, but also very nervous about anything that has the potential to develop anoxic pockets.

I've just so many things go wrong lately, I don't think I could handle another crash.

But still interested....

Most of the Macro's I'm planning on using aren't really the type that need to be planted.

Does this stuff benefit ALL Macro's, regardless of whether or not they're planted?

I'm planning on plumbing my Display Refugium into my Reef Display.

Does this mud stuff hold any benefit for my entire system, or does it pretty much just benefit Macro's?

planted macros and seagrasses mostly, holds them up well, will help spread them and it does have nutrients in it that will help them grow. Any sand has the ability to produce anoxia in your tank, I don't want to make it sound like this is the only thing that comes with risks. All DSBs face this challenge, even with coarse sand it is a risk.

• 1 month later...

Ok so, I want to mix this in the roach motel display, what is a good ratio? How much do I need? I'm not terribly concerned with anoxic pockets given the nature of this tank, aesthetic concerns are irrelevant. I don't have any grand stocking list in terms of macro's so I don't have any specifics on what I will be keeping : /

So my questions are thus:

1. How much?

2. How to best distribute it?

3. Layer it on top and let it naturally mix in or mix it in from the start?

hey guys, I swear I will have good answers for you this evening, not enough sleep in me now so the best I can come up with is:

od-

1. How much? what do you plan on planting?

2. How to best distribute it? mud on the bottom sand on the top -

3. Layer it on top and let it naturally mix in or mix it in from the start? do it from the start, just spread it out with your hand

nemo- what is the footprint? is this a 40 gallon breeder? a standard? a tall?

I don't know what I'm going to plant, but knowing me it will be something difficult.

So far I have

Blue Scroll Macroalgae

Cheato

Mangroves mostly red (they won't be in the tank bottom for a while, I built a weird little thingy to get them up higher)

Pink Petals Predaea

Red Branching Macro

Fern Calurpa

I would like ochotodes at some point, but it seems I will have to wait for jeebus to bring them on his second coming before they are available. Dragons tongue is on my list, Ulva. So a lot of what I want is of the "glue down" variety.

I am pondering manatee grass though...really it's just a matter of what I can get my hands on.

hey guys, I swear I will have good answers for you this evening, not enough sleep in me now so the best I can come up with is:

od-

1. How much? what do you plan on planting?

2. How to best distribute it? mud on the bottom sand on the top -

3. Layer it on top and let it naturally mix in or mix it in from the start? do it from the start, just spread it out with your hand

nemo- what is the footprint? is this a 40 gallon breeder? a standard? a tall?

It is a 40 breeder, about 36" by 18". Sorry, I forgot about this.

blue scroll algae and red branching macro...interesting. :D If you ever want ids on these species send me a pm with pics...

the fern caulerpa would spread better, but I don't think mud would be on your list until the manatee grass comes around. the mangroves would like it too when the reach the bottom.

nemo-

you would need about 30 pounds

Well you know where I got it from. It comes with all sorts of advice too. Like that it's algae and....has a color... So watch out John they are out to dethrone you as macro gawd

30lbs is better than I though woohoo omgomgomg

I suppose I will be patient and $§¶T then. Still need to get mud for the 'fuge tho which means I can get flame algae....MUAHAHAHAHAHA

*off to beg for macro funds*

flame algae wouldn't need it, that should be planted on rocks

Well for starters I meant fire fern since you don't have flame in (I'm special you know so things like fire and flame become synonymous in my wee bitty brain. I can't spell correctly AND be expected to think fer cryin' out loud).

Also the mud wasn't related it was more about "Well since I'm ordering from John anyway, why don't I go ahead and get....."

So SSSSSSSHHHHHH!!! (and yes I know separate shipping $$ )

My understanding was that mud reduced the nuisance algae in the main tank by taking out the nutrients it needs to live long and prosper. :huh:

so would a deeper sand bed. i wouldn't get the mud i have unless you are trying to grow something in it, there are much less expensive ways. the mud is a fair price for the cost and work we put into it, but it is still expensive. we are making this the last batch though, it is too much hassle. i went through it the other day and it worked out to like $3 an hour...so when it runs out there wont be another batch. wait a little if you can on macros. this is the worst time of year to buy them. quality and selection improves dramatically just around the corner...

Archived