Coral Vue Hydros

LEDs over a 10g

ir0n_ma1den

No. It's the fact thats it's a permanent mount. If an LED fails for whatever reason, it will be very difficult to remove. Also, if you don't apply adequate pressure during the curing process, the thermal resistance of the epoxy goes up, increasing your LED temperatures. Bolting an LED down with thermal paste ensures about as good a thermal interface as you can get, shy of bonding the LED directly to the heatsink. Lower temperatures = longer LED life.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
minimonsterLED
No. It's the fact thats it's a permanent mount. If an LED fails for whatever reason, it will be very difficult to remove. Also, if you don't apply adequate pressure during the curing process, the thermal resistance of the epoxy goes up, increasing your LED temperatures. Bolting an LED down with thermal paste ensures about as good a thermal interface as you can get, shy of bonding the LED directly to the heatsink. Lower temperatures = longer LED life.

sounds good, any recommendation on hardware for drilling/tapping (preferably stuff that can be picked up at Home Deep).

minimonsterLED
sounds good, any recommendation on hardware for drilling/tapping (preferably stuff that can be picked up at Home Deep).

is there a preferred composition of the drill/tap set? I read in someone's build that carbon taps wear down faster, than aluminum ones (or something to that effect). And yes PB Blaster is much better than WD40. I have a buddy, who is a mechanic, that thought it would be a good lubricant for a beer-tap, it worked great, no one ever did figure out why they kept smelling "gas" when they went to take a drink.

Your options at Lowes and Home Depot are going to be limited. Most tap sets are carbon steel, which is fine for the limited number of holes you are tapping, provided you use cutting lube and don't try too hard. TiN coated taps help. McMaster Carr has a great selection of different taps, and help you decide which is best for your application if you don't mind waiting a day or two for shipping.

Got my heatsink, BuckPucks, and Royal Blues in today from Heatsinksusa and LedSupply. Shipping was excellent in both cases.

I didn't realize how damn small the LEDs were!

minimonsterLED
powersupply and heatshrink came in today! Now I'm just waiting for my White LEDs from DealExtreme...

Congrats, you're in for some fun. I've learned a lot from this experience, mostly how impatient i am when it comes to shipping. good luck, be careful, and don't cut corners.

still waiting for my LEDs from DX...

but, today I went out and bought:

blue and black 16AWG wire (this will work, right?)

Wells 40W soldering pen

#6 nylon washers (I hope these work, it was the smallest they had)

4-40 screws

I'm ordering a tube of arctic silver 5 tonight, will 3.5g be enough?

EDIT:

#6 washers are too big and I ordered the 3.5g tube of AS5

minimonsterLED
still waiting for my LEDs from DX...

but, today I went out and bought:

blue and black 16AWG wire (this will work, right?)

Wells 40W soldering pen

#6 nylon washers (I hope these work, it was the smallest they had)

4-40 screws

I'm ordering a tube of arctic silver 5 tonight, will 3.5g be enough?

#6 washers are too big and I ordered the 3.5g tube of AS5

i couldn't find a 4-40 tap so i went with #6-36x.5inch they work pretty well and are still really small.

16awg might be alittle big, i used 18 all the way around. Here's what evil has to say about wiring: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208941

You'll just use a rice sized dallop of AS5 on each led, so that should be plenty, maybe 1g worth, a little bit goes a LONG way.

Got my AS 5 here today, super fast free shipping from the ebay store.

I still haven't got my White LEDs from DX....

but in the mean time I want to get an LED 1:1 placement setup printed out.

What program could I do this with?

• 2 weeks later...

STILL waiting on my white LEDs from DX... They are in New York (thank god) so I should be getting them soon.

Today I got a vertical float switch from eBay ( at total of $3.65) and 24 nylon washers from mac622 for no charge!

Thanks again mac622!

My LEDs from DX finally came today!!!!!!

I have everything to finally start the build.

What should the layout and spacing be for the LED's?

For the layout I was thinking of 3 rows of 4 LED's alternating.

W B W B

B W B W

W B W B

two rows of six alternating colors. It will give you far greater coverage.

how far apart should each star be away from each other, and how far from the edges should they be?

I followed your advice and spaced them 2" from each other and 3" between rows. Is it okay that I have a 4" gap between LEDs in the middle?

DSC04902.jpg

Before I actually get to stick the LEDs on, I need to come up with a low profile housing for this baby.

I can't have it hanging.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ugh....

I decided to go ahead and drill the heat sink and ended up breaking both the drill bit and the tap... didn't get past the third hole.

first, how do I get them out?

second, what brand of tap and drill bit should I get? the ones that broke were craftsman brand.

The drill and tap didn't break because of where you bought them from, but how you were putting stress on them. With the drill, you could have been side loading it when it snapped. Cutting fluid help with a faster cut. When you are drilling, watch the drill bit. You can see it bend if you are streesing it too much. Keep it straight and you should be able to get a lot of use out of it.

For the tap, sounds like you were going too fast, or no cutting fluid. Remeber, it's half turn in, quarter turn out.

thanks evil,

you were right about putting too much stress on the drill bit.

For tapping, I was using cutting fluid, but i was only turning out 1/4 about every 5 revolutions.

How do I remove the bits?

You might not be able to. If they broke flush, or sub flush with the surface, they are in there for good. Drill a new set of holes.

Archived