inTank Media Baskets

Fuge or UGF?

jing

dave? is that you?

No, but I think a little bit of his attitude has rubbed off on me. Plus it was that PETA comment that Violent made just ####ed me off. And Violent, why keep these animals if you're not going to try and keep them as happy and commfortable as possible? Happy fish are generally healthier (come to think of it, humans are healthy when they are happy). Look, if you don't want an animal, don't buy it. Problem solved. If you're going to make such horrible decisions about your tank, fine. But don't try to influence these newbies who'll think that what you're doing is fine and will work. Because of this, they will fail. So if you're going to do what you do, don't try to help the newbies.

Originally posted by ViolentBliss

P.S. PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals) Proud Member.

Long Days....

I was just on their site yesterday, good stuff, BUT you have no right to treat any animal that way. I hate PETA to death, despite the name under my title: But there are some times when you can just cross the line. I'm glad to see you so happy with yo a$$ about killing animals. Probably because your afraid of people and take it out on animals. I agree with maroonclown, just because you treat your animals like ###### don't mean you have to preach to others so we're reminded of the stupid poeple in this world.

All you're going to need for filtration is live rock/sand and a way to circulate the water in the tank. You can use a HOB filter or powerheads or both. All the ceramic medai/bio-balls, etc. do is provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on. All the bacteria you'll need are already in the rock; you just need to circulate the water around it. That's your chemical filtration. For mechanical filtration you can use a skimmer, a filter pad in the HOB, a filter sock in the sump, etc. Just something to capture larger particles of crud. just be sure to change or clean it often. The sump really isn't going to act as your main method of filtration. That's the rock/sand's job. The sump/fuge just allows you to increase water volume, provide a safe haven for pods/worms, etc. and gi9ves you a place to put heaters, skimmer, probes, etc. that is out of sight & not taking up space in the main tank.

Don't listen to Violent. He's just trolling for an argument. Use good quality live rock and keep the water circulating & you'll be fine. Also DO @ a 10% water change weekly. It's the easiest & best thing you can do for the tank. Look around here & on reefcentral and investigate all the tanks that you would like to emulate. I guarantee they ALL do frequent water changes.

Thanks bro! Youve been a big help. I got the principle of filtration, ill just modify it a little, with whats availble in our area, and I should read more, I guess, before diving in.

Archived