Top Shelf Aquatics

Elevated CO2 in the house

skydive

• 2 weeks later...

The window has to be completely open now to keep the pH at 8.0 but if I have the window fan running it stays at 8.10 - 8.15, readings were taken early this morning (lights still off)

Will a dehumidifier release CO2? For the past couple of months it's been running like crazy because of the weather.

• 1 month later...

I'm still having issues with the pH <_<

The window fan has to be on all day and night to keep the pH between 8.4 and 8.3. It was getting cold last night so I turned it off and the pH went from 8.4 to 8.17 by morning. The fuge is packed with algae and it's still not keeping it up like it should. What else can I do?

I'm still having issues with the pH <_<

The window fan has to be on all day and night to keep the pH between 8.4 and 8.3. It was getting cold last night so I turned it off and the pH went from 8.4 to 8.17 by morning. The fuge is packed with algae and it's still not keeping it up like it should. What else can I do?

Are you trying to chase a perfect # for pH, i.e. 8.3? There is no reason for this. A pH of 8.17 is just fine. My pH ranges from 8.0-8.2. As long as its above 7.8 and doesnt fluctuate more than 0.2, I would not worry about it.

Are you trying to chase a perfect # for pH, i.e. 8.3? There is no reason for this. A pH of 8.17 is just fine. My pH ranges from 8.0-8.2. As long as its above 7.8 and doesnt fluctuate more than 0.2, I would not worry about it.

Agreed.

I'm trying to avoid the 8.4 to 8.17 drop. If I were to close the window completely it would be between 7.5 and 7.6 within 24 hours. With freezing temps just a few months away there's no way I'm leaving it open so I'm looking for an alternative. Turning the fan on is like pouring buffer into the tank, the pH raises quickly and vice versa.

There is an old fridge in the sump room that is going to be unplugged and replaced with a mini fridge. The water heater and AC unit is in this room as well, maybe they are releasing some CO2?

I seen that mentioned somewhere and the response was that house plants respire at night, meaning they release CO2 back into the atmosphere.

Archived