SaltCritters.com

Elevated CO2 in the house

skydive

My pH hasn't been up where I would like it for the past few weeks and I took a cup of tank water last night and aerated it in the house for an hour and it didn't get above 7.77, same as the tank. When I did it outside it went from 7.77 to 8.15 within 15 minutes and still rising. I have two air pumps (whisper 20 & 40) bringing outside air into the filter sock via airstone. I have a Remora Pro skimmer and its spray induction so I couldn't use it there.

It brought the pH up to 8 today and I changed the air conditioner filters thinking that would help but my problem still stands. Is there anything else that I can do to prevent this from happening? I have a fuge with a ball of chaeto.

pH 8 (lights just now went off)

KH 8

Ca 450

It's been too hot to open windows so I can't do that. What else is there?

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Im in the same boat as you lol, I even open all my windows in the house as soon as it's cooled down outside, I also had to run a air line from outside to my sump/sock to bring my PH up and while it works I am looking for something more practical, I've related the source to what I believe it is, my gas stove, hopefully someone can chime in and give some alternatives but if I find anything else out myself I'll let you know.

Militant Jurist

Weetie will be glad to know she isn't the only one being afflicted! If I recall correctly, from one of her tank threads, she was going to use the reverse cycle cheato method. I'm not sure though, so you should probably check her latest tank thread.

EDIT:

Here's a link to the start of her problem.

I had/have this problem myself. On my last tank, 46 gallon, I added an overflow and a refugium and this helped alot, it actually solved it. Now, I have a BC14 and face the same problem but I cant add an overflow and refugium if I want to keep the AIO look. So a couple of things, if your tank is new and still in its cycling stage, a lower pH is expected. My pH fluctuates from 7.8-8 so far, so I can leave it at that and be good but I would like to get it better. My only other options are to keep my dKH on the high end (11-12). This will force you pH to be a little higher 8-8.1. Or you could dose kalkwasser, its suppose to deplete the CO2, but dosing kalk is risky business IMO. My other option would be to buy some live indoor tree/plants and put them near the tank. They should use up some of the CO2 and maybe that will help. If you have read this already, here is a good site: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php.

If I recall correctly, from one of her tank threads, she was going to use the reverse cycle cheato method. I'm not sure though, so you should probably check her latest tank thread.

I think the reverse cycle just stabilizes your pH. It may help a little in increasing it, but I do not think by much.

Militant Jurist
I think the reverse cycle just stabilizes your pH. It may help a little in increasing it, but I do not think by much.

If you've already got cheato, putting it on a reverse cycle will indeed primarily help in stabilizing the pH. However, if you don't have cheato, then adding it on a reverse cycle will help increase and help stabilize the pH.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Well thanks for the input guys, sorry about the highjack skydive but this info may help you out also, I can't believe I forgot about house plants, come to think about there is not one plant in my entire house so I figured it's worth a shot, I never figured I'd have a problem with co2, I been running chaeto opposite of the light cycle for almost 2 months now and i don't think it really help with anything, I even run chemi-pure elite which is suppose to stabilize ph to 8.3 and even remove excess co2 but still nothing, the only cure has been the airline I've been running to the tank for about 2 weeks now, I'm thinking of making it permanent as it's the only thing that's has fixed my problems, but I've been dosing something new and Im gunna go give my tank another test right now and will get back with my levels.

The results of my test:

DKH: 11

PH: 8.3

Calcium: 400

Conclusion:

This is the first time I tested since I started dosing and I couldn't believe my eyes, What I've been using is Reef Builder by Searchem, its a powder that raises Carbonate Alkalinity and is suppose to stabilize ph at 8.3.

I didn't just add it to my tank all at once, I added it to my top-off water and set up a drip system from that and followed the regimen that it states on the bottle to increase my dkh by 2, I let it drip over the past 2 days according to my evaporation levels and my calcium has dropped, but that's to be expected since there tied in together, now i've read it easier to just let the tank drop naturally to where I want and just keep it there, I intially want my dkh at 10 and calcium about 420,im may dose some part-a of a 2-part but I'm very happy with Searchem.

For reference, My original level's before dosing where:

DKH: 8-9

PH: 8.1

Calcium: 460

Now I know my levels weren't that bad but they where and only the airline help bring them to my reference point, without it my dkh would be 6-7 and ph would be 7.8 and although I may be fine at those levels I hate being on the low end of water chemistry lol, sorry I just do. Now Im not saying this is a for sure fix for you buts it's been the only fix for me after weeks of frustration, all in all my little experiment with searchem paid off and Im happy.

Now I know my levels weren't that bad but they where and only the airline help bring them to my reference point, without it my dkh would be 6-7 and ph would be 7.8 and although I may be fine at those levels I hate being on the low end of water chemistry lol, sorry I just do. Now Im not saying this is a for sure fix for you buts it's been the only fix for me after weeks of frustration, all in all my little experiment with searchem paid off and Im happy.

I am not sure if the airline would impact your dKH, you should be able to dose and get that as high as you want regardless of CO2 (I am not sure of this). dKH and calcium have a relationship to each other and Magnesium affects them both. Are you testing for Magnesium? And depending on what you are using to dose Calcium, that could add more CO2 to your system as well. Just some things to think about if you already didnt know. ;)

BLoCkCliMbeR

elevated co2 in your house??? crazy.....build a "fuge" for the room.....add some fast growing house plants to the....

elevated co2 in your house??? crazy.....build a "fuge" for the room.....add some fast growing house plants to the....

Yeah, I mentioned this as an idea on my tank thread as well.

Mr. Fosi quickly pointed out to me that they will raise the Oxygen level during the day, but they put out CO2 at night and will raise the CO2 level then.

Skydive, you might want to see if you can get more than just a wad of Chaeto in your refugium.

My personal plan is to get my 29g Refugium set up and hooked up to the Display with as much Macro as possible in there.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
I am not sure if the airline would impact your dKH, you should be able to dose and get that as high as you want regardless of CO2 (I am not sure of this). dKH and calcium have a relationship to each other and Magnesium affects them both. Are you testing for Magnesium? And depending on what you are using to dose Calcium, that could add more CO2 to your system as well. Just some things to think about if you already didnt know. ;)

Well not sure neither but it did seem to keep it more stable after the addition of the airline so I went with it, I did dose a little part b so that may have been it but no matter how much I dosed without over dosing I couldn't get it past 8 or even stay there it always go back to 6-7, but it seemed the airline kept it at 8. Magnesium is 1350 according to my salifert test kit and it's been tested a few times to make sure so I really feel it's CO2, but with the searchem dosing it looks promising for the first time ever so I'll continue to monitor and see where it takes me, mind you I took the test 4 hours after the lights had been off so well see how it comes out during the day.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
Skydive, you might want to see if you can get more than just a wad of Chaeto in your refugium.

My personal plan is to get my 29g Refugium set up and hooked up to the Display with as much Macro as possible in there.

Weetabix Im not entirely sure it with make a difference, I let my chaeto grow out and it's huge, it takes up half of my 10 gallon sump and I also have a good wad in my display, but what is this about CO2 being released at night, by plants? Is it possible the very thing (Chaeto) where using to remove excess CO2 is releasing it at night, Im confused....I run my opposite of my tank light cycle and not 24/7.

Militant Jurist
Yeah, I mentioned this as an idea on my tank thread as well.

Mr. Fosi quickly pointed out to me that they will raise the Oxygen level during the day, but they put out CO2 at night and will raise the CO2 level then.

Although, I would still think that overall, adding house plants to the room would still be a benefit. After all, if plants didn't contribute a net increase in O2 over CO2, then we'd all asphyxiate. ;)

All plants consume CO2 and release Oxygen when they are photosynthesizing, and all plants release CO2 when it's "lights out".

This goes for underwater plants or aboveground plants.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
All plants consume CO2 and release Oxygen when they are photosynthesizing, and all plants release CO2 when it's "lights out".

This goes for underwater plants or aboveground plants.

Okay so having more chaeto is maybe making things worse, maybe thats been my problem???....Should I cut it back, or go 24/7 on the light cycle. Maybe it's releasing more CO2 than it's consuming.

Okay so having more chaeto is maybe making things worse, maybe thats been my problem???....Should I cut it back, or go 24/7 on the light cycle.

No, no, no, not making things worse!

Just keep it on a reverse light cycle from your tank, that's what you really need.

On another note, my stupid A/C sucks and I'm sick of fighting with it, so I'm leaving it off today and leaving all windows open, I'm curious to see how strong of a visible effect it has on my tank.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
No, no, no, not making things worse!

Just keep it on a reverse light cycle from your tank, that's what you really need.

On another note, my stupid A/C sucks and I'm sick of fighting with it, so I'm leaving it off today and leaving all windows open, I'm curious to see how strong of a visible effect it has on my tank.

Okay, just making sure, as far as keeping your whole house open I think you'll notice something, on days that would be real cool outside for me I'd open all my windows and doors and my ph would definitely go up within a few short hours time.

I've noticed when I come back from vacation the tank looks better.. aside from a little algae build up.. me not there = lower CO2 in the house.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Weetie, I broke down and opened a window, for me it's very noticeable. The moment I opened the window it started rising, today it got to 8.2 and I can't remember the last time it got above 8 and 8 was rare. I have the chaeto and some other macro that grows from a vine(?) and looks like a palm tree, both are small right now and I'll see if I can place an order at reefcleaners next week to get more. The fuge is behind the display in another room and I see it just as much so I'd want it to be a display also. What do you have in yours?

I'm going to wait for the macro results before I start dosing. I'm out of town quite a bit so I'd need something automatic :bling:

Mike, I kicked the dogs outside for a while, dern things using up my oxygen.

Those dern dogs.

My kids do the same thing.

Maybe I should start making them camp out in the yard. :P

With you being out of town so much, I really think concentrating on building up a healthy Refugium with lotsa macro's is a much better idea than worrying about dosing.

See how that works for you first.

I don't even have my refugium set up right now, Sky, it's a work in progress.

I need to get it drilled and plumbed to my display.

All I have right now is a small ball o chaeto behind a false wall in my display.

When I measured my Ph a few days ago around this time of day, it measured 7.6.

I left the windows open overnight and just tested my Ph, it's 8.0.

When I measured my Ph a few days ago around this time of day, it measured 7.6.

I left the windows open overnight and just tested my Ph, it's 8.0.

Makes ya wanna cry don't it..

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Weetabix have you tried running a airline into your tank, it brought my ph to about 8.1-8.2. Also after dosing that reef builder a few days afo though it top it out at 8.3 and has now been steady, also tested my alkalinity just now since yesterday was water change day Im at 10dkh and ph still a good 8.3.

Haven't tried it yet for practical reasons, may still do it at some point.

I am currently dosing B-Ionic which helps keep my Alk stable but doesn't seem to help with Ph.

I have Reef Builder, but dosing that on top of the B-Ionic sounds like an invitation for trouble.

Update; the window is barely open (1/4") and the lights have been off eleven hours and the pH is 8.10.....much improved from 7.6 at this time :D

Archived