Pod Your Reef

Zero Water - Brita Pitcher that gives 0 TDS water?

dreboogie

im confused, how is this worth it?

you can get a tds meter on ebay for <20

i mean if you REALLY need it right now and cant wait a few days then understandable but...what am i missing?

With all the discount coupons and everything how much does the pitcher and "free" TDS meter cost? I didn't want to get on their mailing list to find out myself. If its not more than $25 or so its worth it because the TDS-4 probably runs about that.

With all the discount coupons and everything how much does the pitcher and "free" TDS meter cost? I didn't want to get on their mailing list to find out myself. If its not more than $25 or so its worth it because the TDS-4 probably runs about that.

Of course on their website, Zerowater inflates the cost of the meter itself to $30. ;) At that rate you're definitely better off getting the TDS-3 from BRS for $20!!

I'm skeptical though that the 0 TDS of the pitcher is the same as 0 TDS RO/DI water... For a super quick pinch of ATO, this pitcher might be feasable though... But definitely not in the long or short run for main water use.

I live in Parsippany, NJ and the water here sux. I bought the picher for hahas. I tested my tap water and the reading is 375, and after running my 3 batch it was reading 4.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I saw this at target the other day and got excited at first and almost bought it. Glad i didn't it looks like after about a month of use of this thing you might as well have bought an RO/DI kit.

• 10 months later...

I bought it since I have two smaller tanks, just for top off purposes.

My household tap tds is 252.

Hosehold tap after being put thru traditional brita was 142

Different batch thru zero water yeilded 14 (when the 14 tds was re put thru I recieved a big goose egg ZERO)

~ I also tested what I had been using for top offs and that result was 4

(by the way poland spring bottles are 18 tds)

anyays the batch after my initial 14 and since on has read zero, so for top offs of two salt tanks, and the water change of a one gallon wine glass aquatic frog tank ~ It perfectly suits and fits my own needs and causes me many less back aches B)

Keep track of how many gallons you get before it is exhausted.

RO/DI water costs around 5 cents a gallon on average which includes the cost of replacement filters and media as well as water and sewer rates and fees. A a nickel a gallon a RO/DI soon pays for itself, usually within 12 to 18 months if you make much water.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I recently had this thought too to use my ZeroWater pitcher for water. I currently use tap (180TDS) - I have always thought my tap water tasted funny and I never drank much water. After getting the ZeroWater pitcher (I have a really big dispenser thing) I definitely am drinking SO much more water. I have had it for 6mths I think. The only time I had to replace the filter is once - when my fridge decided to be so cold to freeze every thing and the filter was frozen soooo not filtering. I changed it out and kept the frozen one - it works fine now. So technically I have not had to change the filter since I got it. Another thing that I LOVE is that my container broke and Zerowater sent me a new one at no cost. Excellent customer service. When I got the TDS meter I started taking it everywhere and testing my water. I was surprised that rain water just had 8TDS. My parent's house in PA which is supposedly well water and supposedly the best kind of water after spring - had something around 300 I think. I took it to work in NYC and it had just 18TDS.

Anyway I have been thinking of using my ZeroWater dispenser. It holds 1.5gallons and I have a 15gallon. If I'm changing out 1-2 gallons every H20 change, I think it's manageable. It's better than my tap water, no?

Archived