Cultivated Reef

Zero Water - Brita Pitcher that gives 0 TDS water?

dreboogie

So I was just sitting watching TV when a commercial came on about this product called Zero Water. It is essentially a brita water filter pitcher that supposedly guarantees to get your water to zero TDS, they even include a TDS meter with purchase.

I'm wondering if this is straight BS. And if not, would this have any application substituting the use of an RO/DI system?

It may do that but would that really be efficient? I mean its only a pitcher....I usually use more water than that in one day haha

They have this at all the local places here... walmart/greens, target, everywhere. I doubt it works. What is it like a super brita. :D

If it doesnt, you get a water pitcher and a tds meter.LOL

You can do the same thing with a carbon block and some DI resin, thats all it is. At 22.5 gallons per filter it would get darn expensive real quick and thats at a tap TDS of only 200! The national average TDS is around 250 and in the Phoenix area we vary between 600 and 1200 or higher. Nothing like changing filters every 5 pitchers of water........! I think I would pass.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Well I know from experience because I own one, it does indeed work, it makes water very slow and you'll get a TDS of 0 with the pitcher but be aware that it'll only make about 30 gallons of 0 water per filter and that's if you have low TDS water, mines about 125TDS and it made about 25-30 so if your looking at anymore 250-500 you'll get lucky to make 10-20 gallons, the filters are expensive and it's not really worth it unless you only use it for top-off only and on a enclosed tank like a biocube (using a gallon max a week of top-off). For water changes you'll eat up that filter. I personally had bought it at the time just for the TDS meter, I got it from walgreens with there site coupon and a walgreens coupon for $25bucks which is what you'll pay for alot of tds meters out there so the pitcher was pretty much free.

Not a good deal and its a low end TDS meter.

The API tap water filter may last 100 gallons if you only have 4 or 5 TDS at the tap. I wouldn't count on it though.

I recall when I used to see this pitcher for sale, the the meter it comes with isn HM Digital TDS-4 similar meter (it's an HM Digital brand made specifically for Zerowater in a blue, not white color).... Not really low end as it's indentical to the TDS-3 minus the temp display function. I used to own a TDS-4 meter. ;)

Is the TDS-4 temperature compensated? Some of the meters are not. The temp readout sure is nice to have, I use mine on my COM-100 all the time.

Even if its a TDS-4 the pitcher is not worth the cost of the replacement cartridges.

you people are all idiots they use chemi-pure for their filtering media. it lasts forever and is nice and compact plus it cures cancer*. :D

Is the TDS-4 temperature compensated? Some of the meters are not. The temp readout sure is nice to have, I use mine on my COM-100 all the time.

Even if its a TDS-4 the pitcher is not worth the cost of the replacement cartridges.

I'll agree that the pitcher isn't worth it in the long or really even short run.

Here's the TDS-4 meter, and yup it has ATC. B) Again back when I saw the pitcher sold, the one I saw included this same meter, but special model of it just for Zerowater. If they've changed the meter they use since then, it's very possible. This was also the same meter they sold as a stand-alone along side where the pitchers were sold. The Zerowater ZM-016 TDS meter made by HM Digital... If you compare the casing of the two meters, they are identicle exception of course of the color, and the LCD display used is gray/white numbers on a black background rather than the traditional black numbers on gray background.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Nope it's the same tds meter, atleast when I bought it, like I said early on in the thread I had bought this unit just for the tds meter because I needed one right away and didn't want to wait and order one online, $25 bucks at walgreens after coupons, the pitcher was just a bonus i guess you can say, I just used for top off water on my 5 gallon and lasted a quite along time with 0 tds, but for anything else not worth it, so I never bought a new filter so it's just sitting in the pantry now.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
Wait a second..water quality is important? B)

Nah not really, I find that using the water from my gutter has the best growth rates, i even used radioactive waste water once and wow that created some awesome growth.

Archived