Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Purple Gorgonian ?

ThatsFishy69

watch out with that though, you dont have the right license (MLE) so it is techinically poaching, might as well start spearing snook, selling turtle eggs etc... same fine.

John is right, and you have to make sure it's in season to take them. And please never spear snook, i hear about it all to often here, especially now since the big females are around. I even flip on people when the hold a big snook by the jaw or if i'm on the pier and they don't use a net. It just pisses me off becuase nowadays it's hard enought to get one in the slot if people are gonna poach them then FWC has to change the regs again it wil be literally impossible to get one to take home when it's season. And fyi spearing lobster is illegal, and FWC will catch you. My boat has been boarded so many times i've lost count only time they wrote us a ticket is if we were going to fast in a no wake zone. I have had the cops called on me diving so lady's seawall cause she said I was tresspasing, they told me I was doing nothing wrong, so I went right back to scraping zoanthids off the seawall. The only thing related to collecting FWC could get me on is trading fish at the LFS for credit but they don't know that it didn't come out of my tank which they did since I qt anything i catch first.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

season is year round, you are allowed to collect them for recreation, (nominal substrate is allowed - what is more than nominal is up to the arresting officer in most cases, but less than one inch is okay - with gorgs). You can never dive for octocorals with a knife, in fact, if you are in possession of a knife and certain octocorals it is a crime, you didnt even have to use it, they assume it. (you can rebut the presumption but you are already hiring an attorney so you lose...)

Zoas you can collect, 6 polyp max though. 6 gorg max, total 20 a day max of marine life species. No more than 6 of a particular species. (So you if you catch 7 gorgs, 10k fine for that last one). No knife, only flexible blades that are useless for collection and will harm the zoas, that is why you see them from the Keys on shells often, as the shells arent protected like the rock.

What makes it poaching is if you sold it or traded it. Legal to collect, illegal to sell or trade. So what you did, (lets just say you only got a nominal amount of substrate), is perfectly legal as long as you have a recreational fishing license. Just give away the frags for free and you are still in the clear, you can give away free stuff as much as you want.

--NicksReef - I have given up on snook, either too big or too small. They never seem to stay in their slot, I think they have evolved to reading the paper. :)

ThatsFishy69

jeesus guys im not doing or thinking or have ever done any of the things your mentioning i only have a jetski i only dive off dive boats i dont spear fish i dont lobster lol.

Just happened to find a small coral floating and picked it up .

and i have my fishing license :) you cant trade isnt that free for everyone?

I think I came off the wrong way, what you did was perfectly legal, someone had mentioned selling them...that is when you run into problems... just looking out, not trying to bust chops.

On a different note....

Moderate to high laminar flow with zoa or better lighting and they do fine. Will accept bbs as a food, or copepods.

On a side note, but related... I would love to take a frag off of your hands. I will obviously pay shipping + nominal fee if you are interested.

Let me know, that piece is beautiful.

ThatsFishy69

ill frag some branches soon i need a mag rack first would you ship this not on a plug i think it would be ripped right off the base pretty easily

• 3 weeks later...

Archived