Top Shelf Aquatics

Purple Gorgonian ?

ThatsFishy69

ThatsFishy69

Well i found this coral today on a sandbar while on the jetski . I did a 30 sec fresh water dip and looked it over very closely and added it to the tank.

Any one have any info about this coral or suggestions this is the first time i have ever added something i found in the ocean to my tank.

274fc490.jpg

1de64a00.jpg

Pics taken with the new iphone 3gs not to bad huh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully its photosynthetic. If it is it needs pretty intesnse lighting...

If it is not, care will be a little more difficult. You will need to feed it phyto or some other small food a lot.

ThatsFishy69

think it is safe to add to my tank?

feeding shouldnt be a problem i feed my tank about 3 times a week

want a frag lol? i found over 15 of them all very small but one was huge probly a foot wide

Hey I will take a frag if its photosynthetic. Ya, thats even better if you feed it, should do well in your tank. Nice precaution dipping it by the way.

ThatsFishy69

so the fresh water dip is good enough? i was thinking it needed iodine or something else. based on what i saw today there are a ton of these things stuck to small dead coral rocks. ill see how mine goes before i frag or get any for you guys :)

I would think it would be, I mean your not seeing any fungus or parasites on it, usually people dip zoa for example if it is infected with something.

Haha let me know, I like the look of those things, take a pic when the polyps open on it.

ThatsFishy69

Will do I really man handeled it stuck it in a water bottle then jumped waved for an hour or two lol then threw it in some cold ro water and right into the tank was kinda in a rush.

Polyps open at night right ?

If its photosynthetic I think they will open during the day, well once its no longer pissed off haha.

Ehh corals get thrown around more when they are shipped from fiji and stuff lol.

The proper name is Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata. They are photosynthetic, the more light the better ime. Poyps will be light tan or white. Grows moderately fast if there's a source of phytoplankton or microzooplankton in the water column.

ThatsFishy69

polyps are starting to come out ill see when i can get back out there and look for some more .. and frag those.

Not to dispute, but I think it's a Purple Sea Rod, Plexaura flexuosa,

I've had'em in my tanks for years and love them. Grow well and easily, can handle metal halides, but T-5's or even PC's will work for them. Common predator of them is a Flamingo Tongue, which some raise by feeding them gorgs.

Not to dispute, but I think it's a Purple Sea Rod, Plexaura flexuosa,

I've had'em in my tanks for years and love them. Grow well and easily, can handle metal halides, but T-5's or even PC's will work for them. Common predator of them is a Flamingo Tongue, which some raise by feeding them gorgs.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize the branches were flat.

My bad. :)

Archived