Top Shelf Aquatics

-click here- To begin your tidepool adventure!

Acoustic

Where at in WA, Acoustic? Great whites...up here? Where did you hear that? I've never heard of anything but basking and the occasional 6-gill out in the Sound.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done some stream diving in the Sierras........Yeah T, the water up here is freakin cold! I wanna surf, but not that bad! Go find a wave tank somewhere!

You could get White's in WA during an El Nino year. Hell, in '92 some guy caught a stripped marlin in WA! Normally, I'd agree with Sky that the water is too cold and the bulk of the White population is centered around Tomales Bay to Monterey and out to the Farllon Islands (AKA the red triangle). However, the water here is only a couple degrees colder than the bay area, and if a hungry White follows the seals...it is highly possible!!!

Amazingly, I saw a stat that said 95% of White Shark attack victims survive!!!!

I have lived :

Haystack Rock, Oregon

Astoria, Oregon

Ranier, Oregon

Longview/Kelso, Washington

Gig Harbor, Washington

Seattle, Washington

• 2 weeks later...

I am jealous. I live here in "no-coast" Indiana so I don't have any tide pools to visit or takes pics of. About the closest thing I can do would be to find a mud puddle with a worm in it and take some pics:D. Some of the worms turn different colors after they have been in the watter too long!!!!!!! Great pics everyone, thanks for taking the time to share them.

• 1 month later...

Had a chance to get back down to the Tidepools during a minus tide last week. Here are some of the new shots of some creatures that haven't been seen in this thread before (and some that have).

Blue tips on a Flower Anenome

anenome1.jpg

New type of Brittle Star that I hadn't seen before.

brittlestar1.jpg

Macro showing one of the arms on the Brittle Star.

brittlestar3.jpg

Typical Tidepool Crab

crab1.jpg

Closeup of Crab

crab3.jpg

Moon Snail?

snail1.jpg

Closeup of Snail

snail2.jpg

Octopus on Mussel Halfshell

octo2.jpg

Egret with live lunch.

success.jpg

Gil

That is some awesome stuff. It make's me wish I wa sliving on the coast of summer beautiful. Do y'all ever take anything? Aside from and possible moral rules or local laws. There's some totally bad ace stuff in there.

-Justin

Hey acoustic and gil, what are the laws concerning ganking stuff from the tidepools? I wanna set up a tank and I'm walking distance from that tidepool (La Jolla one) I think. Is it where that big shopping/restraunt area is?

Hey Thanks!

I don't take stuff from the tidepools. There are tidepools I believe that are not protected by law, but the ones that I am taking photos of are in fact protected. The water here is hardly tropical anyhow so keeping a tank of local stuff would more than likely require a chiller AND high lighting to keep things alive for a prolonged period of time.

Not sure what the laws are in La Jolla. If it is protected, there will more than likely be a sign when you go there that says what is legal to take (usually a list of fish).

I am using a Canon EOS D-60 with a 50mm Macro for the shots in this thread.

Gil

• 2 weeks later...

Few more shots from the Tidepools...

Anenome's Mouth

anenomeMouth.jpg

I think this is a Macro Algae of some sort...

idunno.jpg

Shell

shell1.jpg

Growth on a Kelp bubble

kelpbubble1.jpg

Hermits at war in the real world

hermitWAR.jpg

Gil

hey gil that last algae you showed is calcerous....the piece you show has lost its pigment it is usually pink/purple like corraline.

Onthefly, if youw anna get out in the waves in oregon pic up a 5/4/3 hotline suit and booties, hood and gloves and you,ll be fine. my dad lives up there and i surf with my 4/3 int he summer with jsut suit and booties. the water up there isnt too much colder than ca on the coast(northern coast im not a lucky so cal kid) and our water temps rairly rise above 56-57 rignt now we are at 52-53

• 3 weeks later...
DitchPlains

Beautiful Stuff must be NorCal right? Amazing shot of the Urchins, Anenmone and Goby, gorgeous colors and refelctions of sunlight. I figured I should share some shots of Long Island's east end here. I'm no photographer, and I know there pics of species, but figured can't hurt to share ..you all seem like nice peoples...B)

• 11 months later...

I'm going down to the keys in a few weeks to go fishing. In the flats out in the gulf, there are some channals that are surrounded by water that is only a foot deep so i'll take my camera. They are basically mini reefs and they have all sorts of life. I may get one of those underwater housing for the camera so i can snorkling and take some shots (just gotta watch out for the occasional cuda or shark:unsure: lol)

Archived